Dealer Dealer sold me a used 2012 BX25 but advertised it as a used BX25D...

/ Dealer sold me a used 2012 BX25 but advertised it as a used BX25D... #1  

williis49

Tractor
None - Yet...
This post is basically about this: If a dealer sells you a tractor he advertised as an "A" but really is a "B" being sold as an "A" and the buyer (me) really didn't know the difference at the time, is the dealer liable in any way?

Is a Dealer responsible to KNOW what they are actually selling? (may seem like a dumb question but this salesman apparently didn't know)

If you feel like reading a little bit about it I jotted down some of the facts below.

I recently purchased my first Kubota, It is a 2012 BX25D, or so I thought.
Now, I have done some research on a few of the BX models and based on that research I figured the one for me was the BX25.
BUT after reading about the improvements made to the BX25 to create what is now the BX25D (on sites like tractorbynet) I started looking for a used Bx25D and I found one for $15,500 that was traded in to a John Deere dealer.
We made the deal over the phone with contingencies of course. When I arrived with my trailer after driving around a hundred miles to get there I immediately began looking over the Kubota I was going to buy. While examining the tractor and not fully knowing much about this model, I thought that the only improvements that were made are the Metal Hood (which it is) and a new look to the dash readout (which I thought this was but wasn't). Also, at the time I looked at this "BX25D" I wasn't aware of, (in my eyes the most important improvement made), the brake pedal relocation, which would have been a dead giveaway that it was NOT a true BX25D.
However, in the midst of discussing this "BX25D" I had asked the salesman why the sticker on the FEL only read BX25. He ignored my inquisition and I thought to myself, "this just must be the way it is". So we continued to go over other aspects such as the operation of the tractor.
Now, we head into the office to sign papers and he then hands me over the Service Manual. I was much relieved to see it read on the front cover "BX25D". So my concerns about this model being what I thought it were distant at this time.

Even though I REALLY wanted to run this tractor when i got it home I used better judgement and decided to wait for the weather here in NY to heat up to at least 40 deg., otherwise it was just too darn cold to mess with it. So after warmer weather arrived, I greased the machine then proceeded to run this around the yard and was very happy. But something just didn't seem right about this being what I thought it was so I called the Dealer that Original sold this Kubota "BX25D". Using the serial # on the machine I ask him if in fact this was a BX25D and he said, " No, its only a regular BX25 NOT a BX25D", as the JD salesman advertised it was.
I contacted the salesman who sold me the tractor and was also the person responsible for advertising it on various internet sites and he told me the "label on the frame read BX25D" and that is what I used. I told him the Dealer that Original sold this BX said the "D" found on this label simply meant it was a "dual Drive" and that you should see a BX25D sticker on the loader arms". I Then contatced JD salesman said "Oh, I thought the D meant Diesel" blah blah ...
There is more but I ranted enough for know.
Can someone make some kind of sense with this and what they think I should Do...
Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Dealer sold me a used 2012 BX25 but advertised it as a used BX25D... #2  
If you bought a car with a 2.7L engine you were told was the more economical 2.1L, would you take it?

Frankly, you need to see if the trouble is worth the reward. The metal hood is not signatory to the "D". They are metal on the BX25, too. The big difference is the nicer seat you missed, and the loader Quick Attach with attachments like forks, bucket, and blade. The standard loader on the BX25 should easily accept the QA, but since the loader is not a LA243A that was designed for the QA, I can't be sure. The dash display? Well, that's your call. Frankly, I'd bust em out for false advertising. They know what their competitions models are. I'd be getting something out if it, or telling them you want your money back if it wasn't a great deal. It's your choice, but I smell a rat.

/ Dealer sold me a used 2012 BX25 but advertised it as a used BX25D... #3  
First off welcome to the forum. But it seems like there is some culpability on both you and the dealer.

If you were dead set on a particular year and designated model, you had better be able to tell first hand if you are looking at it or not. Especially before you show up at dealer 100 miles away with cash in hand and trailer in tow. Knowing that the brake pedal, seat, quick attach features and whatever else are different should have tipped you off right away.

Assuming a salesperson knows a competitors line is a stretch, some I meet are really vague on ones they sell! I would be willing to wager that lot's of folks on here know more about the tractor they bought/buying than their selling dealer.

And sometimes you can get a good price on a used tractor brand not carried by the selling dealer. Because that's what this really comes down to, is price.

Was the price so good it prompted you to hit the road before really knowing what you were looking at in an attempt to get a deal? More importantly, knowing the model that you purchased do you feel you overpaid?

The other thing you have going against you is time. How long ago did you purchase the tractor? I also live in NY and it's literally been freezing since November!

You said now that you have run it you are "very happy". Have you decided now that you have driven it you can or can't live without those features that are missing from the model you thought you were buying?

What do you want to happen?

/ Dealer sold me a used 2012 BX25 but advertised it as a used BX25D... #4  
The whole BX25/25D thing is confusing. All BX25s are D's. If you look at the actual serial number plate on the right side of the frame just above the front wheel, you'll find it designated as a BX25D. To the best of my knowledge, all of the BXs are Ds. Both my BX24D and my newest model BX25D, have the D designation in the model number.
When Kubota made the revisions to the BX24, they changed the model to BX25. That made it clear that there were revisions. When they made the recent changes to the BX25, they left the number the same and simply emphasized the D, which was always there. They put D stickers on the loader and the side of the hood but did not change the model designation on the serial number plate. Adequately confused yet?
So, unfortunately, I think you have a BX25D, just not the latest rendition of the BX25D.

/ Dealer sold me a used 2012 BX25 but advertised it as a used BX25D...
Hey thanks for the reply.
What do I want? A fair resolution or a good story that makes sense and not the one the salesman had said. He simply said " you should probably take this up with the Kubota Dealer"

I had just purchased this about three days ago.
The BX25D I thought I bought, is a tight machine with 155hrs on it seems taken care of. It only has a few scrapes/sm. dents. If it was worse than that I would not have bought it unless a substantial reduction in price. The salesman seems like a decent fellow human being so I took a chance driving all that way for this. I paid 15300 and included nothing more than FEL and BH. Based on what was available in my area I had to take a serious look at this BECAUSE it was a "BX25D".
There were two other, actually as advertised, BX25's for sale at the time in excellent condition and less than 50mi round trip from my home. But what little I did learn about the BX25D I knew I wanted it.
Bottom line is I believed I was purchasing a BX25D based on what I had seen and what the Salesman there told me. In my first post I said I had asked the salesman why there wasn't a D at the end of the BX25 and that he chose not to answer the question. Good salespeople know what they are selling and when they advertise a product it should be what it is.
Last point here. I found it a little odd that if the salesman really thought he was selling a BX25D, then why in the heck did he omit the "D" on the invoice and just write down under equipment purchased BX25?

/ Dealer sold me a used 2012 BX25 but advertised it as a used BX25D... #7  
<snip>
Bottom line is I believed I was purchasing a BX25D based on what I had seen and what the Salesman there told me. In my first post I said I had asked the salesman why there wasn't a D at the end of the BX25 and that he chose not to answer the question. Good salespeople know what they are selling and when they advertise a product it should be what it is.
Last point here. I found it a little odd that if the salesman really thought he was selling a BX25D, then why in the heck did he omit the "D" on the invoice and just write down under equipment purchased BX25?
And as a GOOD (for the dealer, not the customer) salesman it reads like he knew what he was selling and did not want to be caught in a lie. You wrote he's a John Deere dealer - maybe he wasn't really sure of the fine details in the differences among BX25's, so it was better to say nothing.

Even you wrote that you found other discrepancies.

Another recent poster took delivery of a new tractor with cracked tires. The general consensus there was that it was the dealers fault. Some of us thought the poster should have examined what he was buying.

It seems like you are in a difficult spot for resolution, being a hundred miles from where you bought the tractor. Perhaps you should try and calculate the difference in value between what you have versus what you wanted and ask the dealer for that, or chalk it up to education cost.

I do like the one response that "D stands for Diesel". I suppose that is to differentiate from the nuclear model.

/ Dealer sold me a used 2012 BX25 but advertised it as a used BX25D... #8  
Hey thanks for the reply.
What do I want? A fair resolution or a good story that makes sense and not the one the salesman had said. He simply said " you should probably take this up with the Kubota Dealer"

I had just purchased this about three days ago.
The BX25D I thought I bought, is a tight machine with 155hrs on it seems taken care of. It only has a few scrapes/sm. dents. If it was worse than that I would not have bought it unless a substantial reduction in price. The salesman seems like a decent fellow human being so I took a chance driving all that way for this. I paid 15300 and included nothing more than FEL and BH. Based on what was available in my area I had to take a serious look at this BECAUSE it was a "BX25D".
There were two other, actually as advertised, BX25's for sale at the time in excellent condition and less than 50mi round trip from my home. But what little I did learn about the BX25D I knew I wanted it.

Another good example of why regulations are not needed to govern a businesses actions. I would check with the Attorney Generals Office in your State and ascertain what consumer protection laws exist for such activity by a business.

I would also contact John Deere. They would probably be interested to learn they have a dealer misrepresenting products they are selling.

Bottom line though have you asked for your money back and been refused?

/ Dealer sold me a used 2012 BX25 but advertised it as a used BX25D... #9  
Now, we head into the office to sign papers and he then hands me over the Service Manual. I was much relieved to see it read on the front cover "BX25D". So my concerns about this model being what I thought it were distant at this time. Thanks!

So, where did the manual come from? The previous owner?

Steve

/ Dealer sold me a used 2012 BX25 but advertised it as a used BX25D... #10  
Frankly I think you are SOL unless the dealer "wants" to be nice to you.

You bought a used piece of equipment fronm a dealer that dont even sell that make. And they advertised and listed the model exactally as on the ID tag of the tractor. I see no wrong doing, on the dealers part. There are far too many tractors out there that are ever changing for them to keep track of.

Now if this used tractor was at a kubota dealer, or if the used tractor was a john deere at a deere dealer, I'd expect them to know.

But bottom line is, you drove there, examined the tractor in person, agreed to purchase for a price. And now you question weather the dealer overcharged or whatever. I think the liability was on you to know what you were looking at.

Let me ask you this: what if the tractor you were going to look at was just a plain old BX25 and you knew that. But after you bought it, you discovered it was a BX25d. Would you drive back to the dealer and offer to pay more??