Cub/Yanmar SC2400 or Kubota BX2660?

/ Cub/Yanmar SC2400 or Kubota BX2660? #1  

tractorshopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380
Posted this on the Cub page also. Looking for some knowledgable folks to lend some advice. Have been looking at both of these machines and think I'm leaning toward the Cub/Yanmar right now, but have never owned a tractor myself, only used other's a little. Kubota model has more HP at the PTO, but I like some of the features of the Cub better. Have 7.5 hilly acres to maintain now and my lawnmower is inadequate for the chores. Plan to use it with MMM, FEL, and bush hog, and till a 50'X70' garden each year. Some regrading and drainage fixes, tree cleanup and removal, etc.

Any advice before making such a large purchase would be greatly appreciated. I don't know enough to really even know what should be most important to me in this decision. Thanks!

/ Cub/Yanmar SC2400 or Kubota BX2660? #2  
How does resale value strike you? Guess that's Southern verbage. Does resale value mean any thing to you? (More clear English) Guess you know this is a Kubota forum so probably most here will say Kubota since that is what they chose after extensive research and facing your same situation.:)

/ Cub/Yanmar SC2400 or Kubota BX2660? #3  
Yea, the Kubota is a real no brainer to me. Also, the BX2360 would be a few hundred less and a more equal comparison to the cub.

/ Cub/Yanmar SC2400 or Kubota BX2660?
Thanks for the reply JohnThomas;

Resale value is important, but like most first time buyers I'm sure say, I'm buying it for life. (I've said that with other toys too:) ). This Cub/Yanmar SCUT has not been around long enough to have any real info on resale value and also because of that I am worried about not knowing long term quality.

I posted on both places because I truly want both opinions of people that have been through this before and why they chose what they did.

I've driven both and I seriously like both dealers. The Kubota is nearly $2k more for the same setup, but has more gross and PTO horse. I don't know if 3 extra horse is a huge difference for my little property or not.

I've used a friend's L2500 on my property and was terrified while bushhogging my hills. That's why I'm looking at the SCUTs; lower center of gravity, smaller frame, less height to fall.

/ Cub/Yanmar SC2400 or Kubota BX2660? #5  
Of course the BX2660 is $2K higher in price. It is about that much more than the 23 hp BX as well. This is because the 2660 is the flagship model, with the top shelf seat and other bells and whistles. As Messick and JohnThomas said, your direct comparison is to the BX2360. Little price difference likely.

Yanmar engines are top drawer. No one here or elsewhere will knock them. The question I have would to research is how long has the package been engineered and by whom? There's a lot more to a scut than merely the engine.

Finally, and YES!!! I am really silly and prejudiced, but dang it! Color schemes that please my eye is important to me. I like Green, Red, Blue and obviously, I like Orange. I cannot say I like a bumble-bee of black and yellow. That's just me.

In the end, it all comes down to sit-in-the-seat intuition.

Last edited:
   / Cub/Yanmar SC2400 or Kubota BX2660? #6  
Obviously I choose the BX2660 and would make the same decision again. As stated, Yanmar makes excellent engines, but the SC2400 is a relatively new model with little known in the way of long term reliability beyond the engine.

Also as mentioned resale value should always be a consideration. I also bought my BX2200 "for life" only to decide after six years I liked the BX2660 better and got quite a good bit of money out of it to use on my new tractor.

I like the idea of dual pumps, but since my Kubota does everything I ask of it, I don't know if the dual pumps are just for marketing or offers a real advantage. I would agree that you need to look at both and see what fits you best.

You might want to do some research on the John Deere site as there was a recent discussion on Yanmar which included many references to the SC2400.

Good luck; wish I could be of more help.

/ Cub/Yanmar SC2400 or Kubota BX2660? #7  
I went with the Kubota history and potential resale value in my choice in upgrading from a Cub cadet garden tractor (a GT2544). Still use it to cut the grass and blow snow. Though my experience is fine with Yellow (shorted headlight wires from poor exhaust design, wheel lug nuts worked lose, poor oil drain design) I have had no issues with Orange in two years. Kubota's service reputation is top-notch while Cub IMO is still working out kinks in its service delivery given age of product line.

/ Cub/Yanmar SC2400 or Kubota BX2660? #8  
Though the tractor is the thing that really excites us, it is really only the thing that powers the implements. Look closely at the implements that you are going to be wanting, especially things that are unique to that model. When I was looking, I was really surprised to find that things like snowblowers can vary considerably depending on color, even when the units are as identical as can be. Those things can add up quickly, and remove any price advantage. I've seen $1000 difference in different colored mmm's, and snowblowers, and you have to buy the one that fits your tractor. So, whether, or not you plan on buying the extras now, get them quoted. To be competitive, all colors need to be made pretty well, resale is another matter, and more important to some than to others.

/ Cub/Yanmar SC2400 or Kubota BX2660? #9  
Near and dear to me...;) You might want to consider what aftermarket tools, attachments, etc. are available for the different units.

/ Cub/Yanmar SC2400 or Kubota BX2660? #10  
Thanks for the reply JohnThomas;

Resale value is important, but like most first time buyers I'm sure say, I'm buying it for life. (I've said that with other toys too:) ).
I've used a friend's L2500 on my property and was terrified while bushhogging my hills. That's why I'm looking at the SCUTs; lower center of gravity, smaller frame, less height to fall.

I bought my first and forever tractor, I thought it was a high priced life time mower, a BX2200 MMM FEL, 6 years ago. I bought Kubota number #8 and Kubota #9 this spring.:) I had a B7800 for 3 years, paid it off and traded it for a L3240HST which I kept for 1 year and thirty some hours and I never felt secure with it on my hillsides soooooo back to a B3200 and good bye L3240. Actually the B7800 operated the 6' RFM better on my steep hills than the L3240. On flats no problem with either but by the time I was cresting the hill the L was slowing down and the B never changed. The weight difference was using the HP pulling the L up the hill. Flat land the L was great but hill sides spooked me to on the L. The RFM would sort of swing the B around when I reached the bottom of the hill but knew it was going to do it so no problem. It was like it wasn't even back there on the L. Weight makes a difference in several ways.