CS2220 vs CX2510

/ CS2220 vs CX2510 #11  
The CX has much more capability. I came off a 50 year old Ford (Shibaura) 13hp tractor when I got my CX2510. I just couldn’t accept the low ground clearance on the CS. Yeah, it has good HP, but tiny tires and low clearance. Plus the super short wheelbase makes leveling really hard. I really like my CX2510. Another plus is that 90% of the time I putter around at 1500 RPM, unless I’m using the PTO to run the chipper.

Also, the CX can happily take the beefy 54” box scraper, which weighs almost double the 48” scraper.

/ CS2220 vs CX2510 #12  
Oh definitely the CX, I have a Kubota BX23s and a Kioti CX2510, the CX just plain out works the BX. Ground engagement tasks both have enough engine but the CX has the weight. Loader work the CX has better capacity, lift height and speed. Pto tasks are somewhat even, however I use a 6' RMF on the CX but the BX is maxed out on a 5'. Snow removal the BX needs extra weight and chains with R4 tires. The CX with R14 tires just put the blade on and go. The BX is more maneuverable and smaller footprint but lacks ground clearance. Having both sizes to compare daily I would choose the CX over the sub compact.

/ CS2220 vs CX2510
The CX is your sweet spot, and from the sound of it you know that; now, to get him on board.

If you're insistent on one machine the CK wouldn't be for you. You can mow your lawn with it, of course, but you don't want to; it's not a lightweight.

How is your property? Is it hilly? Rutted? Smooth? Any obstacles? Outbuildings? Subcompacts like the CS series are great and have their place; my first 'real' tractor was a Deere subcompact and it was a stout little machine. Soon, however, I outgrew it; once I started finding uses for the tractor I quickly realized I would be better off with something larger. The 25 horsepower was fine for my uses, it was the physical size. It's a really common story.

In my mind at least, a CX might help you avoid that by going one size up from your perceived needs; they're going to expand once you have the machine! You two will discover all kinds of uses for a loader once you've got one!

The biggest shortcomings to the subcompacts are the things that actually make them so appealing. The small size does limit some of their uses; the small tires make for a good mower, but you're now limited in ground clearance for other tasks. That restriction on height also causes the 3 point hitch to become what's called a 'limited' Category 1; some Category 1 implements will be too tall to use. Things like post-hole diggers, for example. Going into the CX will give you a good bit more room back there. The CX will also give you greater hydraulic capability, and 18.8 PTO horsepower to the CS2220's 16.3.

Both machines are roughly 4 feet wide, so they'll use the same size 3 point implements (landscape rake, box blade, rototiller, etc), the CX will just use them better. The CX weighs more by default, but I'd still get the rear tires loaded with Rim Guard, and both machines should always be properly ballasted when doing loader work.

Your husband seems to be leaning towards the lesser tractor out of some notion that the old Ford will pick up the slack. If the Ford was ready for the job you wouldn't be looking for a new tractor, or certainly not with the same sense of urgency. When it's together he can have all the fun in the world using it for the enjoyable tasks, but let the new machine do the stressful work in comfort. Anything that Ford can do for you the CX will do more efficiently, and will do it with less pain on the body.

Tell him to let the Ford be fun, let it be a project, but you never depend on a project.

Take your time, operate both machines to get a good feel for them, and buy what is right for you. That said, maybe talk to them about the CK26xx. You may find it to be love at first sight; many of us did.

Have fun! I hope I didn't miss anything in this rant, lol.
Thanks for your thought out reply, I appreciate it. Our property is flat but has about 3 acres of our pasture that have bad ruts and we need to fix. We have a 5,000 sqft shed as well as an old barn.

I think my battle is the salesman talked my husband OUT of the CX and brought up the old Ford. But there are some good points on here I will bring up to him. We are buying tomorrow so today is my last chance to convince him 😅

I'm the daughter of a long line of farmers, I anyways know to go to the top of your budget with equipment because you will eventually need it!

/ CS2220 vs CX2510 #15  
I think just having a new small tractor will be nice. I am in the camp of bigger and would also go with the CX. Tractors get smaller once you get them on the property and start using them. If you were just looking to keep up an acre or two, the CS would be nice but I really think the bigger tractor will better suit your needs. At the same time, I can see saving 6K and still getting a nice machine to do some work but you might end up overworking the machine because it is not big enough and the 6K not worth it when you decide to go bigger.

If it were me buying and knowing what I know from experience, I would actually go a step farther and say step up to the CK or DK series. I used my 40 HP tractor on 6 acres for 10 years. Never felt like the tractor was ever too big. There were times where I wished I had even bigger. Just my opinion.

/ CS2220 vs CX2510 #18  
You guys will love it! Congrats! One word of advice, get a balast box or some sort of ballast to hang on the 3 point for loader work. Makes a huge difference.

Amen. In a tractor this small you'll never get the maximum lift out of the loader without ballast; these machines will lift a lot, but without counterweight you'll find your arse end in the air long before then. Personally, I run loaded tires and a box blade, as I don't like the single use nature of a ballast box. Of course, if you're operating in a tight space they can't be beat.

Just an update, he agreed and we ordered a CX2510 today. Very excited about it.

Congratulations on the new CX2510; we expect pictures when it is delivered!

/ CS2220 vs CX2510 #19  
Congrats. Enjoy the new machine!!!!

/ CS2220 vs CX2510 #20  
Awesom! That will make doing what you need way easier than anything smaller.