CHECK CHAINS/TURNBUCKLES HOW TIGHT?

/ CHECK CHAINS/TURNBUCKLES HOW TIGHT? #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
Having a discussion with a few folks on how tight to cicnh up the check chains or tunbuckels when you have RFM on the tractor. keep them tight so no sway? OR keep them loose so there is sway.

/ CHECK CHAINS/TURNBUCKLES HOW TIGHT? #2  
I wouldn't worry about some sway, but not enough to get the arms into the rear tires (and figure you already know that). But I wouldn't cinch them up real tight either. To me, it would all depend on how the RFM tracks.

I think the check chains are more for operating attachments that are used when running in reverse. Keeps a hold of one arm in tension on the check chain (or whatever is used).

Sometimes ground-engaging attachments (plow, subsoiler) need to have some freedom to move a bit when turning, and a tight chain or turnbuckle will just put a lot of side pressure on the attachment and make steering difficult.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

/ CHECK CHAINS/TURNBUCKLES HOW TIGHT? #3  
Since you specifically identified this as a RFM question, I prefer no slack at all. Too much slop when attempting to trim up close - especially when gravity is trying to pull the mower sideways - eats up too much stuff that ain't grass.

//greg//

/ CHECK CHAINS/TURNBUCKLES HOW TIGHT? #4  
My tractor owners manual says that you want the chains tight for implements like a RFM, and loose for ground engaging equipment.

If the chains are loose when using the RFM it's harder to keep a straight line, ecspecially on hillsides, and when cutting in reverse. Loose chains could also be a safety issue when transporting as the RFM will swing to the outside of turns.

/ CHECK CHAINS/TURNBUCKLES HOW TIGHT? #5  
Your right Loose for ground engagement. For any other 3pt. some sway isn’t going to be a big problem unless you have a very heavy attachment.
That heavy attach will have a lot of inertia that is used up at the end of the chain. That sudden slam isn’t good for anything… make a lot of sharp turns or abrupt changes in your direction of travel… like while mowing around trees. Cinch things up tight and you won’t have this happening. KennyV.

/ CHECK CHAINS/TURNBUCKLES HOW TIGHT?
you are right !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif it was a RFM question and i myself prefer the tight almost no sway approach.

/ CHECK CHAINS/TURNBUCKLES HOW TIGHT? #7  
Frank, when you refer to "check chains" I'm a little uncertain what you mean. Typically, I think of chains that are used on a RFM or rotary cutter to not only help with side to side sway, but also can be used to hold the front of the mower/cutter at a constant height. Then again, there's sometimes chains on the lower links, which just affect side to side sway. What've you got???

/ CHECK CHAINS/TURNBUCKLES HOW TIGHT? #8  
I always keep the chains tight when using a mower. One thing I have found if they are loose is that there is more of a chance the momentum from the blades can cause the mower to start vibrating after hitting something. Without the slack, the vibration goes away because the momentum is not allowed to get started. I allow about 2" side to side for other implements. John