Carrier for lopping shears?

/ Carrier for lopping shears? #1  

2manyrocks

I see a bunch of suggestions for how to make a mount to carry a chainsaw, but does anyone have a good tip for carrying lopping shears like these compound shears from HF? Long Reach Ratcheting Bypass Lopper

I keep seeing these short stubs of tree saplings in my field that the rotary cutter leaves behind. I'd like to be able to get off the tractor and cut the stubs off to the ground as I see them.

This would be going on a Kubota L2501 with a FEL.

/ Carrier for lopping shears? #2  
I just made a couple of tabs and used worm clamps and attached a 24 inch section of PVC pipe (bottom plugged) and attached to FEL pivot uprights..

. P1020047.JPG

/ Carrier for lopping shears? #4  
+1 on the PVC pipe. I have sections clamped to the ROPS and/or FEL arms to carry long handled tools.

I also use the FEL cross tubes to carry tools, with a bungee to keep them in place.

/ Carrier for lopping shears?
I was having some difficulty thinking of a way to deal with the splayed out handles of the loppers. Using the basic idea posted by DL Meisen and others, I'm going to try a small section of black corrugated pipe. It seems to be more flexible than rigid PVC in bending outwards with the handles on the lopper. I suspect it will bend even more when it has been out in the sun a bit. Plus the corrugations seem a bit handier for holding the electrical wire in place that I'm using to hold it to the FEL until I can get some strong enough zip ties.

I'm not quite sure of all I want to carry just yet so I really appreciate all of the suggestions.

/ Carrier for lopping shears? #7  
I bolted a 10” tall stout plastic container with a wide mouth to an unused hole in the right fender. I drop the loppers in nose first and it acts as handy QuickDraw holster. (Metamucil container to be exact. Getting old but pipes are clean.) :LOL:

Edit: the container flexes with the handles inserted and keeps it from rattling. Your black corrugated should work similar. The key is the width or mouth of the holster opening.

Last edited:
Now that you mention using a holster, I happen to have a drill holster that fit the loppers just fine, but they don't cover the cutting tip. So I thought I'd use the corrugated pipe to make sure I kept the cutting tip confined rather than have it bounce around and ding up the paint on my tractor. But I could also see the corrugated pipe rubbing the paint off, too.

Still open to better ideas.....

/ Carrier for lopping shears? #9  
My solution took some trial and error to find the right vessel. Tip of loppers just touches the bottom and protects the paint while stretching a bit at the mouth for some grip. Example:
F9502440-65E3-40CD-8EAD-B20E0B42C618.jpeg

I did remove the label :giggle:

This is what I've done so far. Doesn't seem to rattle. It's pretty convenient to work with.

Attachments

• lopper holder.JPG
    lopper holder.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 147