BX25 quit running, almost starts, fires black smoke and sounds mad.

/ BX25 quit running, almost starts, fires black smoke and sounds mad. #1  

jtraol

Tractor
Kubota BX25
Hello All,

Today while clearing snow my BX25 (less than 50 hours) started to sputter as if it was running out of fuel under load. I shut the motor of and filled the tank with fresh diesel (fuel gauge never worked since new). Turned the key to "on" to bleed, and tried again... same problem: black smoke, lots of banging and an eventual stall. Was able to limp it up my driveway and called my selling dealer who told me the problem could be snow in the air filter but I'm not so sure. I understand his logic, but unless the hood was open i can't see how this problem would occur all of a sudden. It seems more like a fuel issue, and I'll add that the tractor ran for many hours on the previous fill so I doubt it's a fuel quality issue. Any advice would be appreciated, and I'm happy to replace filters, fluids etc., but I'd like to try to understand the problem. Thank you!

Jonathan

/ BX25 quit running, almost starts, fires black smoke and sounds mad. #2  
Snow is dense enough to stop up the filter and air intake.
It's easy enough to check.

/ BX25 quit running, almost starts, fires black smoke and sounds mad.
Snow is dense enough to stop up the filter and air intake.
It's easy enough to check.

thank you of the quick reply, Stimw. the intake is clear -- would you recommend trying a start-up with no filter? i was advised not to but it would seem like an easy test as you mentioned. lots of snow here today so getting to the dealer was tough and therefore no filter to try.

/ BX25 quit running, almost starts, fires black smoke and sounds mad. #4  
Do you use a fuel conditioner? I wonder if the fuel gelled ? It has been pretty cold lately

/ BX25 quit running, almost starts, fires black smoke and sounds mad. #5  
Do you use a fuel conditioner? I wonder if the fuel gelled ? It has been pretty cold lately

Agree with this. It was 2*F when I got home from work and had to plow. Untreated fuel can easily gel at those temps.

/ BX25 quit running, almost starts, fires black smoke and sounds mad. #6  
Hello All,

Today while clearing snow my BX25 (less than 50 hours) started to sputter as if it was running out of fuel under load. I shut the motor of and filled the tank with fresh diesel (fuel gauge never worked since new). Turned the key to "on" to bleed, and tried again... same problem: black smoke, lots of banging and an eventual stall. Was able to limp it up my driveway and called my selling dealer who told me the problem could be snow in the air filter but I'm not so sure. I understand his logic, but unless the hood was open i can't see how this problem would occur all of a sudden. It seems more like a fuel issue, and I'll add that the tractor ran for many hours on the previous fill so I doubt it's a fuel quality issue. Any advice would be appreciated, and I'm happy to replace filters, fluids etc., but I'd like to try to understand the problem. Thank you!

Jonathan

How cold is it? Do you have winter diesel in in it? If you have summer diesel fuel in can wax up at around 28F. Another issue is water contamination of the fuel. Do you have a drain on your filter? If you do, drain some fuel from the filter into a clear jar and look for water at the bottom of the fuel. If nothing drains out then the filter is restricted with wax or ice. If you are near an electrical outlet, use a hair dryer to heat the filter housing. When you get it warm, drain it and check for water. If you find water, drain it all out. If you have nothing but fuel then the filter may be waxed. You can open the filter housing and add Power Service 911 (I have no connection to this product). to the filer housing and to the fuel in the tank, bleed the system and get it started. Make sure that you use winter diesel for winter conditions and use a diesel fuel treatment for your winter fuel to help with the inevitable water condensation in the fuel tank. Try to keep the tank topped up to minimize condensation in the tank.

/ BX25 quit running, almost starts, fires black smoke and sounds mad.
How cold is it? Do you have winter diesel in in it? If you have summer diesel fuel in can wax up at around 28F. Another issue is water contamination of the fuel. Do you have a drain on your filter? If you do, drain some fuel from the filter into a clear jar and look for water at the bottom of the fuel. If nothing drains out then the filter is restricted with wax or ice. If you are near an electrical outlet, use a hair dryer to heat the filter housing. When you get it warm, drain it and check for water. If you find water, drain it all out. If you have nothing but fuel then the filter may be waxed. You can open the filter housing and add Power Service 911 (I have no connection to this product). to the filer housing and to the fuel in the tank, bleed the system and get it started. Make sure that you use winter diesel for winter conditions and use a diesel fuel treatment for your winter fuel to help with the inevitable water condensation in the fuel tank. Try to keep the tank topped up to minimize condensation in the tank.

thanks everyone for the replies. i don't know if it's a winter or summer diesel, but a a fuel problem is my bet. air filter seems dry, clean and clear. there is no fuel filter housing but the BX25 has two in-line filters its seems. i bet i did let the fuel level was lowish, so condensation seems like a good thought especially since it's been so darn cold. i m planning to disconnect the fuel line at the second filter and see if there's any flow... as the 25 "self bleeds" i think that i should see fuel if i turn the key to on -- and please correct me if on wrong. never had a diesel before! last, is there something i should be adding to the fuel? it has been really really cold here. in any event, i'll let you know what i find!

jonathan

/ BX25 quit running, almost starts, fires black smoke and sounds mad. #8  
I use Power Service white bottle in the winter, they also make diesel 911 in a red bottle, can get at Walmart or Tractor Supply.

/ BX25 quit running, almost starts, fires black smoke and sounds mad. #9  
well-- my guess is that when you ran out - you sucked in dirt into the first fuel filter. I would replace that first that is under the tractor. I wouldnt worry about the air filter - the snorkel lips on air filter cover does a pretty good job of keeping the larger elements out. While you are about to replace the first fuel filter - I would add 911 to it just to be on the safe side since you have no idea what kind of diesel you bought.

/ BX25 quit running, almost starts, fires black smoke and sounds mad. #10  
Just remember that the red bottle 911 will de-gel the fuel. This is temporary and will gel back up. The white bottle will stop it from gelling.