Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #21  
I will also say, I can drive a stick vehicle, but let's face it, I Much prefer an auto. It's all good, till your on a steep hill at a red light, guy on your butt, and you have a burger in one hand, jumbo sweet tea in other, steering with your knee, and need 3 feet, and 4 hands... I know everyone say, why don't they offer a standard anymore, but sales would be so low its stupid. Also, replacing a clutch in a 1986 Ranger or S10 might be a 2 hour job, and $120 in parts, but I'd be willing to bet a clutch in a 2024 would be 12 book hours, and approaching $1k in parts. That would be a $2500 clutch job...

I’m only driving a stick because I’m buying vehicles from an era when they were the best option. If you were buying a new truck and had the option of an Allison automatic or a stick I have no idea why a person wouldn’t get the automatic. You could get a vehicle without ac or power steering for the sake of being old school but I bet nobody wants that.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #22  
In many ways, I prefer to drive a stick on a road vehicle. I can shift when I see the need, the auto doesn't shift until the hill (or whatever) is already engaged. The only time I didn't want a manual was when I had 4 kids in the car.

My youngest drives a 2006 Matrix with a 5 speed manual, hand crank windows. It does have power steering and a stereo. Toughest loss is cruise when on a long trip. I still drive that car when I can. It's no sportscar, but it is fun to drive.

I think for tractors it really depends on your terrain and primary tasks. I have over 80% dense woods. The only open areas are right around the house and the utility easements. I just don't have much need to maintain the same speed for long periods, even if I did, my HST has cruise. I'm a convert. Look at my early posts here and I wanted no part of an HST, partly due to the HP drain...so I got the turbo version. :)

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #23  
The power shuttles used in true construction equipment, like a front-end loader is really the best of both worlds, but its a really confusing world of shuttles. The older John Deere 310 Back hoes, had a power shuttle on the steering column, but a stick shift on the floor to select gear, and that really could only be selected at a dead stop. However, yiu could throw from F to R freely, even when in motion. Lull/Grad-All forklifts, had shuttle on column, with a rotating knob to scroll through 1-3 or 1-5 or however many gears, and could be scrolled though at will, while in motion, as well as F to R while in slow-motion. Then yiu have 'hydralic reversers', sycro shuttle, non-syncro, partially syncro, ect; and the manufacturers don't see to really explain on the website what Their shuttle really is.

Add to that, the stuff we did on construction equipment, very well might not be ideal for the long life of the machine... I'm sure it's 'best' to come to a stop or near stop, before F to R.

Edit: also, a 12 or 24x24 speed shuttle, is generally only shiftable within a given range; or in some cases not at all between gears (other then F/R), others can, and I believe some can shift gears within a range, but only with a clutch

The slightly newer backhoes you can roll through the gears the same way the forklift was setup. I much preferred that setup compared to my other backhoe which was like you described. Those roll knob transmissions are basically an automatic transmission that’s stuck in manual shift mode. The industrial equipment can work with such few gears largely because you can vary the engine rpm. The tractors need to be able to keep the PTO rpm constant while still having a good range of speeds.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #24  
Move slats in a chicken house. 4 clutchings per slat minimum. Have to move these slats to other side , clean this side, put slats back, put other side on top of this side, clean other side out, then put those slats back. Over 100 per side, four houses. Some farms have six houses. Never had a hydro tractor. I did use a hydro lawnmower once.
Sounds like a mini track loader would be ideal . Couldn't do without my Ditch Witch !

1693104571811.jpeg

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #25  
   / Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #26  
Not 100% related to the OPs; but 2 separate trucking companies (1 runs many dozen RTR trucks, other about 4 or 6 dump trucks) have told me they much prefer automatics. The dump truck out fit mention just plain easier to get drivers, they can recruit from school bus drivers, lowes/hd type companies, ect. Don't remember exactly why for the OTR company, but they where big on efficiency, so maybe that was part of it? They where big adopters of super singles, goverenors, ect.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #27  
For the record I am not anti-HST at all. I have recommended HST to folks that do a lot of loader work. I also have spent plenty of time with HST tractors.

The OP asked clutch guys if they ever wish for a HST. As a clutch guy, I answered with my experience and that I have never longed for a HST myself.
Same here. But it's always funny that anyone who uses a geared tractor is called anti-HST from a anti clutch guy. Lol.

Matter of fact, for tractors up to the size of a Kubota B/EK series, Solis S26/Summit TX25, TYM series 1, Kioti CX series, etc, I would probably go with as HST in a heart beat. Well, as long as the dealers would stock them.

In that size/weight, the tractors are light enough that the HST can still move the tractor well enough in all ranges and high range is still usable, plus the HST makes any tractor have the independent PTO, which not many tractors in this size would have if it was geared.

Above those sizes, most offer a 12x12 transmission, some 16x16, independent PTO, etc. Not way I would go HST.

Fun fact: in my country, the few HST tractors sold here (less than 100) are actually owned by Expats and are all in the sizes I mentioned above.

Last edited:
   / Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #28  
Having aged thru tractors from geared, shuttle, to HST+. Loaders have evolved too, from trip buckets to SSQA with many different attachments. Needing higher precision for certain loader work attachments and operations the HST+ really shines. Skidsteer like precision and power. Every move on a hillside farm has consequences and tests you and your equipment.

Maybe be farming with AI drone from my easy chair in another 50 years! AI would probably pick HST over a geared transmission;-)

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #29  
Any clutch guys doing bucket work wish they had a hydro instead?
Yes, bought hydro on my most recent CUT and life is easier. Shuttle shift is easier than gear drive for loader work on a CUT.

Not all hydro is the same or as good as it could be. You need to test out a machine to make a proper decision.

Probably get better fuel economy with SS because you can match throttle to speed. Hydro is probably better with pollution controls because you are running constantly hot at high throttle.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #30  
The industrial loaders and backhoes usually used a torque converter in front of the manual transmission, very similar to you cars torque converter in front of the transmission.
Tractors can have a mechanical shuttle which is nicer then no shuttle for loader type work. Then you can move up to the power shuttles or power reversers.
Then the "hydro's" power sucking whinning but very easy to operate and handy at times.
On any particular day I can easily find myself going from an older IH with a 5 speed forward and a single reverse with a TA, to a full 18-19 speed power shift with a left hand reverser, with a stop for a power shuttle, and then maybe even a 4 speed with hi lo and reverse, then I may even use my little hydro.
I still much prefer the power reverser/shuttle with the power shift over all of them.