Boxblade 101

/ Boxblade 101 #1  

theboman

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500 HST
I shoulda got my camera, I did a goodn.

I'm getting a load of gravel in the morning (barring rain) to park my 5th wheel RV on. I had my tiller setting where the gravel goes, so I moved it.

I went and put on my box blade and remembered upon the hill I had a piece of cardboard on tomato stakes that I use as a target holder and figured I'd fetch if before it turned into trash blowing around.

In the past month my neice had a house site dozed on the corner of the hill and they rerouted the drainage. The little ditch I cross next to the barn is still a little ditch except now has a constant flow of water after all the rain this year.

I'm always in 4x4 on the B7500 when I'm going up the hill since it can a we bit slippery and has a steep place or two.
As always I ease my front tires into the little ditch, and then my back tires. Then as I'm pulling out of the ditch I start to spin... Now this is slippery with all that water and my front tires on the tall pasture grass. Hmm, I need 4 low. I get the B7500 in 4 wheel drive low and ease on the hydro and I'm still spinning... Hmm, lets use the rear axle possi grip thingy (can't remember what it's called)... A slip, slide but not going nowhere.... Did I mention I have the box blade on the back?

The box blade is lifted as high as it can go and digging into the ground... I can't go foward, can't go backwards. I'm laughing at myself pretty good now.... I'd never had that problem before... oh that little ditch is about the same width, but several inches deeper since all the water has been traveling that way the past month.

I have to unhook the BB and scoot it around and hook it backup.

Don't try to replicate this at home... I'm a professional and besides your neighbors maybe at home to laugh.

/ Boxblade 101 #2  
Smooth move Bo.
Say that three time fast.
When that kind of stuff happens DONT look to see if anyone is watching you. Proceed as if you had planned it.

/ Boxblade 101 #3  
Thats what always causes my down fall. The hitch and the box blade are my worst enimies when crossing the drainage ditches at my place too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Try to use the FEL to push back and dig in just a bit more. I may not be a professional but I went to the same school. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Boxblade 101 #4  
When crossing any kind of ditch it always a good idea to cross an angle so only one wheel goes in at a time.

/ Boxblade 101 #5  
I agree. Good advice on crossing at an angle, but depending on the ditch slope, this method could cause a side rollover of the tractor. Be careful out there!

/ Boxblade 101 #6  
If you bottom the front axle out on one side, you will have to use the differential lock if you go across at an angle. I have done that and had one front and one back tire in the air. It all depends on how steep the sides of the ditch are as to which way is the best to attach the crossing..