Box blade or tooth bar

/ Box blade or tooth bar #1  

duanet

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4100 HST
Well, I have my new compact tractor, a JD 4100 HST with FEL and a Bush Hog rear blade, which should take care of the snow removal if we get enough to remove. I "graduated" from a Ford 2N which I have used mostly for snow removal, firewood hauling and field mowing.

From reading the posts on TBN, though, I am in a quandry over whether to buy a box blade or a tooth bar. Just about the time I figure "box blade", someone extols all the virtues of a tooth bar. So I guess I'd like some opinions and advice. Most of what I want to do is clear about 4 acres of overgrown heavy brush - multiflora, vines, scrub trees, etc. - and put in a driveway and some walking trails on my side hill lot.

I'll look forward to hearing from some of you "pros".

Duane

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by duanet on 12/09/01 09:06 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Box blade or tooth bar #2  
Duane -

I'm hardly an expert, but I think the answer is simply that they are two different tools. I have a box blade and I find it indispensable for doing many of the chores you describe. Very high on my wish list, however, is a toothbar. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

The box blade can do some digging if it has scarifiers, and I have managed to do just that. But the real strength of the box is to even out the high/low spots in a field or road. The toothbar is a more versatile digging tool since it is an extension of your loader bucket. You have a wide range of angles and attacks, plus you can then scoop up the spoils and haul them away.

I have successfully used the boxblade to do some clearing (see this picture), but I should think that the toothbar would be a more formidable weapon against the type of vegetation you describe.

Tell you what -- get both of 'em, and if you decide you don't like the toothbar, just send it to your old pal Harv. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

BTW -- welcome aboard. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Box blade or tooth bar #3  
Duane, like Harv said, you need both. I used a box blade for a long time before getting a toothbar, and I'd recommend it first if you're only going to get one, but you really want to get both of them.

BirdSig.jpg

/ Box blade or tooth bar #4  
ditto harv & bird - i use 'em both in equal amounts

/ Box blade or tooth bar #5  
aren't the newtractors great? last feb. i too upgraded to a b2400 hydro, from a ford 2n. my arms and legs have been thanking me ever since.i bought a toothbar and found it very useful for helping to clear brush and lossening dirt. but i plan on a box blade this spring, and mabey a middle buster. do youself a favor and get both if possible.

/ Box blade or tooth bar
Thanks for the input, guys. It looks like both serve very useful functions. I'm still not sure which will come first, but probably don't really need either until spring... maybe.

I sure know what you mean, Frank, about the arms and legs - and neck too. The old Ford is a wonderful machine, but... I had fun with the "bush hog" mowing backward to a creek and slamming on the brakes (what brakes?) to keep the blade spinning a couple of extra seconds. And driving into a tree on my side hill to stop when the brakes weren't damp and grabbing. I'm sure enjoying the power steering, HST, live power take-off and and a 3PH that you can put where you want it and it stays.

A fellow just brought me a check for the 2N an hour ago, so maybe, just maybe, I will be able to get both a box blade and a tooth bar before next spring. The idea was to help pay for the 4100, but...

I'm going to try an attachment that shows what that 4 acres looks like. It's the stuff beyond the garden.

Duane

Attachments

• 5-89610-ice.jpg
    5-89610-ice.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 105
   / Box blade or tooth bar #7  
Now I know I need a box blade, "shorten' a cat" is high up on my 'to do' list :) That one looks like a tuxedo; I have two that look similar.

18-89085-18-83671-tractor1.jpg

/ Box blade or tooth bar #8  
Shortenin a cat! I love it. What's its name?

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-85239-int2500b.jpg

/ Box blade or tooth bar #9  
<font color=blue>I'm still not sure which will come first</font color=blue>

I supppse it depends on which are your most pressing chores, Duane, but I would vote for the box blade first if you can only get one. Fact is, it makes a dandy counterweight for your FEL and gives you traction to boot. My boxblade is on the tractor about 90% of the time, just for that reason. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

And David -- the cat's name is DeeJay (or is it just DJ?). My sister named a whole litter of kittens after the cast of the Roseanne Show. When they started growing up, she hauled them all up from her city home to Mom's place (my tractor property). DeeJay was the only one to adapt to country living fast enough to stay alive. Don't get me started on my sibling's approach to ... well, just about anything. /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

I'm a dog person at heart, but DeeJay is definitely one cooool cat. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif Attached is a recent picture of him waiting for some little critter to pop out of the junipers.

<font color=blue>I have two that look similar</font color=blue>

Any chance of getting a look at them, Thumper? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

Attachments

• 5-89646-DeeJay.jpg
    5-89646-DeeJay.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 90
   / Box blade or tooth bar #10  
I was just curious. I was out this weekend trying to fill and level some dirt with the fel. I was wondering if using a rear box blade would have been easier? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a box blade versus a regular rear blade? Lastly, is it possible to get the rear implements to tilt from side to side hydraulically for making a swail or will that cost a fortune?

Jeff

2-88572-tbird8k.gif