Boston is mostly Fill

/ Boston is mostly Fill #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I have been reading about early Boston since attending a local Appleseed event. I was back there a few months ago on business but did not have time to look around. While reading, I found it interesting in the 1770's that access to Boston was over a narrow 120' wide "Boston Neck". All of Boston was in fact really a peninsula. But modern maps show no such thing. While looking around online, I found this site. It shows an interesting progression as most of the area around Boston was filled in; the bays and marshes. Thought it was rather interesting:

Things Have Changed: Filling Boston

/ Boston is mostly Fill #2  
It is mostly fill. There is a section called the Back Bay... That was once ...the back bay. Now it's multi million dollar brownstones. What's buried under all that fill....well... Not all of Whities victims have been located and as far as I know Hoffa is still not accounted for.

/ Boston is mostly Fill #3  
Same with Manhattan I think

/ Boston is mostly Fill #4  
There is a book called Mapping Boston that goes into it in great detail.

Basically anyplace with perpendicular intersections is fill, including parts of the North End, South Boston, East Boston and of course Back Bay.

I looked into it quite a bit after Hurricane Sandy put 14' of sea water into Lower Manhattan. We live in the oldest settled part of mainland Boston and it looks like we'll be OK.

Flooded Boston | WGBH News

/ Boston is mostly Fill
Interesting. At 7.5' flood, the map looks similar to early maps...

There is a book called Mapping Boston that goes into it in great detail.

Basically anyplace with perpendicular intersections is fill, including parts of the North End, South Boston, East Boston and of course Back Bay.

I looked into it quite a bit after Hurricane Sandy put 14' of sea water into Lower Manhattan. We live in the oldest settled part of mainland Boston and it looks like we'll be OK.

Flooded Boston | WGBH News

/ Boston is mostly Fill #7  
The other feature of Boston is a 10-11 foot tidal swing. Northeast storms (usually the most intense) drive waves towards the coast in the Gulf of Maine. Coupled with astronomical high tides (full or new moon when the moon is nearest the earth) of up to 12.4' and we get 2-4' higher tides and flooding. This high water backs up rivers so that can increase flooding as well.

Not sure if that means we are more or less prepared. I do keep an 11' inflatable and outboard at the house......

/ Boston is mostly Fill #9  
Mall of asia in metro manila is all built on fill. Manila even has a basement deep beneath the streets, probably stays flooded during rainy season. It was strange the first time I went down to see it.

mark

/ Boston is mostly Fill #10  
China has been building an artificial island in the South China Sea and now claiming jurisdiction of all "territorial waters" between Vietnam, Philippines and Malaisa. In effect, claiming control of the entire South China Sea international passage and shipping routes. It has the UN scrambling. Not to mention the US and the Asian countries. It would be similar to England claiming ownership of the North Atlantic or the US claiming ownership of the Pacific Ocean because of Hawaii.