Beekeeping

/ Beekeeping #212  
I set up a couple of double queen hives over the last few days.

IMG_20240509_120302221_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240508_110003992_HDR.jpg

I have never done this before, but the concept is that the combined colonies will act like one huge colony, boosting honey production above that which the two separate colonies would produce.

So far, based on the activity outside the boxes, it looks promising.

/ Beekeeping #213  
Welcome to TBN Mr. Lsgreg.

Interesting concept...one Queen, lots of drones...

In what part of this great country are you located?

...TJ

/ Beekeeping #214  
Welcome to TBN Mr. Lsgreg.

Interesting concept...one Queen, lots of drones...

In what part of this great country are you located?

...TJ
Actually two queens, hopefully not too many drones (males), but lots of workers (females), who do all the foraging.

Thanks for the welcome, @BackRoad.

I live in Eastern Washington State.

/ Beekeeping #215  
There we go, we've gone into territory that will get us in trouble talking about all the work the females do!!

How does what is effectively one hive (though double sized) operate with two active Queens?

Doesn't that create conflict and potential for swarming?

/ Beekeeping #216  
The bottom boxes are not connected or open to each other in any way. So, in the left stack there is a queen, and in the right stack there is a queen. The queens are 100% separated from each other. They cannot kill each other.

On top, in the middle, there is a queen excluder, so she cannot exit or cross over that way. On top of that are the honey supers.

As to why the workers don't fight, I don't know, but they don't.

Swarming is always possible, but the hive is huge, with lots of space, so I hope there will not be swarming pressure.

About the 2 queen hive, apparently that happens in nature sometimes, and maybe in our hives more than we know. I once saw 3 queens in a normal hive, and they did not swarm. Eventually only one queen remained.