Beekeeping

/ Beekeeping #201  
Random thought. Do you have to wear your protective gear while driving the bees from place to place? If so, what are the reactions to people that see you on the road?

/ Beekeeping #202  
Random thought. Do you have to wear your protective gear while driving the bees from place to place? If so, what are the reactions to people that see you on the road?

No, I do not wear the suit while driving, the wife will however. I've driven 200 miles with a double deep Lang in the back of the van held together with tape.

Checked the bee rescue bees today. They are completely organized and bringing in tons of pollen. I love this work.

/ Beekeeping #203  
Good question. I still remember driving my first nuc home. The bees for some reason seem to stay in the back along the window. The bees are always put in the vehicles with the engine running.

/ Beekeeping
I put mine in the truck bed. They seem fine with it. Now I have a bed cover so there should be no issue at all.

/ Beekeeping #205  
We are pretty careful to make sure we have no stragglers hanging onto the box before we place them in the car. I pulled into the shop to unload gear the other day, and we did have a few loose bees buzzing about in the car. They are usually pretty chill. The bees from this cutout were very relaxed during the lengthy process.

We got another swarm call yesterday, but the bees moved on from the tree pretty quickly. Only a handful remained, staying where the queens scent lingered on the branch.

/ Beekeeping #206  
Does heating honey cause it's health benefits to be compromised?

While growing up, we drank a switchel made from about a half tablespoon each of local honey and natural vinegar, cut with 8 ozs of hot water (in the winter) or 12 ozs of cold water with ice in the summer.

Just wondering if drinking it hot negates it's health benefits.

/ Beekeeping #207  
Does heating honey cause it's health benefits to be compromised?

While growing up, we drank a switchel made from about a half tablespoon each of local honey and natural vinegar, cut with 8 ozs of hot water (in the winter) or 12 ozs of cold water with ice in the summer.

Just wondering if drinking it hot negates it's health benefits.

Yes, even heating to 104F begins the breakdown of beneficial enzymes. Most large honey producers heat their honey to speed up filtering and bottling. When I say large, I mean even the "local honey" operators.

Last edited:
   / Beekeeping #208  
Does that mean my baked honey buns aren't healthy? Dang it!

/ Beekeeping #209  
Thanks for that.

Now my wife wants to know why I believe you, and not her when she first mentioned it!