Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,451  
8 year Rohan Patel and 16 year Drew Baglino leaving Tesla...

If I was equating Tesla to ICE cream the next few months choice would be Rocky Road.

ps. Still happy with the car.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,452  
I never realized the father of the GTO is also the father of the DeLorean. Watching this story reminded of the unfolding Tesla/SpaceX story . People not into muscle cars will not give it the two hours.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,453  
8 year Rohan Patel and 16 year Drew Baglino leaving Tesla...

If I was equating Tesla to ICE cream the next few months choice would be Rocky Road.

ps. Still happy with the car.
If you were a multi-millionaire or multi-billionaire, would you work for Tesla until you dropped? 🙂

From day one Musk never wanted to be in the low margin auto manufacturing industry. He has stated if GM had not so cruelly ripped the leased EV1 out of the hands of the people begging to keep it perhaps he would not have never built an EV.

Some of these millionaires and billionaires leaving Tesla today are wanting to go out and do something on their own just like Elon did when he left PayPal.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,454  
If you were a multi-millionaire or multi-billionaire, would you work for Tesla until you dropped? 🙂

From day one Musk never wanted to be in the low margin auto manufacturing industry. He has stated if GM had not so cruelly ripped the leased EV1 out of the hands of the people begging to keep it perhaps he would not have never built an EV.

Some of these millionaires and billionaires leaving Tesla today are wanting to go out and do something on their own just like Elon did when he left PayPal.
Agree, I think those two gentlemen did a great Job and put their hearts into Tesla. Time for a change, for them I imagine.

Working for Tesla OR SpaceX is probably more demanding than when President Kennedy set 1969 as the deadline to land and return safely from the moon.

450000 people to get it done and that resulted in a high number of divorces for those that did whatever it took to make that goal a success.

Watching moon machines and some old NASA shows, when they talk to the people that made it happen almost all of them get emotional and are all Very proud of what was accomplished through their efforts even though the demands on their time and families were high.

I actually believe the price of fuel will put new EV's back on the map for new vehicle buyers.
Really think high fuel prices will last into 2025 and Tesla Is the EV leader.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,455  
Really think high fuel prices will last into 2025 and Tesla Is the EV leader.
Maybe, maybe not. BYD is the new leader worldwide, I think, and that’s important.
The majority of electricity is still “fuel “ powered, and as such, if fuel prices go up, so will electric rates.

I personally think plug in hybrids will be the winner in the USA, in the coming decade, more so than pure battery vehicles

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,456  
Maybe, maybe not. BYD is the new leader worldwide, I think, and that’s important.
The majority of electricity is still “fuel “ powered, and as such, if fuel prices go up, so will electric rates.

I personally think plug in hybrids will be the winner in the USA, in the coming decade, more so than pure battery vehicles

I have to agree with the hybrid theory- for mid to large SUV's and especially trucks.

People do tow and travel long distance.

I have been ticked at GM for years continually missing the opportunity to upsize the Volt drivetrain and build some very efficient Rigs that can haul and tow long distance.

ps. take that Cybertruck:

sport truck
Lightning RAPTOR

BYD has been getting a little bit of extra help to lower their pricing

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,457  
I have to agree with the hybrid theory- for mid to large SUV's and especially trucks.

People do tow and travel long distance.

I have been ticked at GM for years continually missing the opportunity to upsize the Volt drivetrain and build some very efficient Rigs that can haul and tow long distance.

ps. take that Cybertruck:

sport truck
Lightning RAPTOR

BYD has been getting a little bit of extra help to lower their pricing

Both of our kids are looking at getting a hybrid next time because they live in apartments and they're not yet equipped for EV charging at the apartments.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,458  
I never realized the father of the GTO is also the father of the DeLorean. Watching this story reminded of the unfolding Tesla/SpaceX story . People not into muscle cars will not give it the two hours.

Jim Wangers the ad exec also had a LOT to do with it. If Pontiac had also been allowed to sell a Ram Air 4 headed 428 /455 which Wangers put in a 68 Firebird and then went street racing with the test car which from accounts was laying waste to everything it ran against it would be a very revered muscle car option today. Not to mention the RAV tunnel port or OHC version.

"Superhot factory cars, and they were immediately wary of the "new" car. As the story goes, Wangers touted the Blackbird as an "11-flat" car, but it still pulled several car lengths on a Super Stock Hemi that could run 10.70s. They even gave fits to another Hemi driver who would continually have his car upgraded by the likes of Hemi experts Ted Spehar and Tom Hoover, only to get beat time and again by that frustrating car length."

The Blackbird

GM forced Pontiac to modify Dead stock first gen Firebird 400's to have the Quadra jet secondary opening limited because the combo was already well under the 10lb per HP limit GM had decreed.
Funny thing is I never heard Chevy or any other GM line having to do that...:)

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,460  
What percentage of Tesla revenue comes from things other than car sales? I'm guessing it's about 16% including carbon offsets.

That's kind of like saying Ford is not just a car company. They are a financing company because they make money off of loans.

Simple Google search yielded:

Tesla Inc (Tesla) is an automotive and energy company. It designs, develops, manufactures, sells, and leases electric vehicles, energy generation, and storage systems. The company produces and sells the Model Y, Model 3, Model X, Model S, Cybertruck, Tesla Semi, and Tesla Roadster vehicles. Tesla also installs and maintains energy systems, sells solar electricity; and offers end-to-end clean energy products, including generation, storage, and consumption. It markets and sells vehicles to consumers through company-owned stores and galleries. The company has manufacturing facilities in the US, Germany, and China and has operations across the Asia Pacific and Europe. Tesla is headquartered in Austin, Texas, the US.