Bandsaw Motor Question

/ Bandsaw Motor Question #1  

Runner

Veteran Member
Tractor
2024 Cub Cadet Ultima ZTXS5 54, 2007 John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B
I replaced the motor on my HF bandsaw recently and it rotates a different direction from the original. I can make the blade go the right direction by just flipping it over, however, I'm not sure the saw will work correctly by doing this.

Question for electrical motor gurus: Can I change the direction of rotation for this motor by reversing any of the wiring hookups, or am I just stuck with it because of the way it's wound?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_2338.jpg
    IMG_2338.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_2340.jpg
    IMG_2340.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 321
   / Bandsaw Motor Question #2  
Its tricky for me to say anything, because we in Europe have a different power grid system (400V 3 phase, with one phase and a null making 230V domestic electricity)

If your motor is 3 phase, sure you can flip two (any) phases to turn the direction around. If those three wires are a single AC phase, a null and a ground wire, i think you're stuck with a motor direction. But maybe the real experts will hop by and tell the tricks of the trade...

===edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_phase it seems that your power system is even more different to ours than i thought...

/ Bandsaw Motor Question #3  
I think Renze is right. A 3 phase motor will just require the wires to be swapped, if it is a 220 volt motor with split windings to run on 110 volts then there is usually a connection chart on the motor somewhere on or behind the wiring cover plate. There will be at least 4 lugs for running it in series for 220V or parallel for 110V and possibly a couple more terminals to reverse its direction....something like that. Definitely not an electrical expert but pretty sure you're stuck with what you've got.

/ Bandsaw Motor Question #4  
Looking at the terminals, no, this doesnt appear to be a motor capable of reversing rotation. Motors with this feature will be indentified as reversable rotation on the motor ID plate, along with a schematic showing the proper wiring diagram for rotation reversal.

/ Bandsaw Motor Question #5  
It looks like just a 115 volt single phase motor so more than likely you won't be able to switch directions. My drill press motor is reversible and it is 115 V single phase. Check the terminal plate for any indication.

/ Bandsaw Motor Question #6  
You MIGHT be able to change directions by switching those two leads that go on the studs that the black and white wires are on. They are possibly the start windings. The run windings will be permanently attached to the rear of the studs.
If you can find the nameplate for the motor there are places on the web that will give you wiring diagrams for each motor, but it takes time to sift thru them

/ Bandsaw Motor Question #7  
You MIGHT be able to change directions by switching those two leads that go on the studs that the black and white wires are on. They are possibly the start windings. The run windings will be permanently attached to the rear of the studs.
If you can find the nameplate for the motor there are places on the web that will give you wiring diagrams for each motor, but it takes time to sift thru them
Be careful switching the leads though in case you make the metal on the drill press the hot side of your circuit. Chances are it won't...

/ Bandsaw Motor Question #8  
To Runner
As a electrician the motor should show a connection label. Some motors can not be changed as the makers do not bring enough connections out. As this motor is going to used around metal filings you might buy a TEF ( totolly enclosed fan cooled ) capacitor start. In that way that motor could be used for many tools if the need arises .
Craig Clayton

/ Bandsaw Motor Question #9  
I think you are stuck with the direction that motor spins. It doesn't look like any provisions were made by the mfg to reverse the direction. I think you're best bet is to look for a new motor, a TEFC like Craig said. Or if you just don't want to spend much money do you ave a piece of 1/2" plate that you can mount to where the motor mounts extending it out so you can mount the motor to the other side of the belt? I'm not sure if there's room to do it or if it would interfere with the swing of the saw.

/ Bandsaw Motor Question
I guess before doing anything else, I should just throw a piece of steel on there and try cutting it. Maybe it will work ok as long as the cutting teeth are oriented the right direction.

If it doesn't work, I have an old air compressor that I may be able to switch motors with this one. Doesn't matter which way the motor turns on that....

Thanks for the responses.