'Baking' Rods

/ 'Baking' Rods #1  

kneedeep

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510 & 8560
I have about 20# of 6011 and 6013 1/4" rods that were not stored in a dry place. Can I 'bake' them in a oven to make sure they are dry and then store properly?? :confused:

Thanks

/ 'Baking' Rods #4  
Any low hydrogen rod should be stored in an oven if you're working to code. 60XX rods should be kept at room temperature. Never done it to 6013, mostly because I don't use them much. But my 6010, and 6011 rods will dry out on me. They burn off to one side or finger nail. I'll dip them in water and let air dry for a day or two. Then good as new. ;)

Attachments

• 3 ovens.jpg
    3 ovens.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Rod 2.JPG
    Rod 2.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 154
   / 'Baking' Rods #6  
You can store and keep the relatively dry, but a hot box isn't needed. They can get chalky but unless they get rusty, they'll be fine. I know guys around here keep some 6010 in a low temp hot box. Keeps them pleasantly warm and in good condition. But generally not needed, other than to prevent rust.

/ 'Baking' Rods #7  
as shieldarc says, low hydrogen rods should be stored in an oven if you are working to code. if you are not working to code, you can use them as you please.

/ 'Baking' Rods #8  
as shieldarc says, low hydrogen rods should be stored in an oven if you are working to code. if you are not working to code, you can use them as you please.

I do not work to code with 7018 but I do use a rod oven for my 7018.
I am not a professional by any shape of the imagination but I can tell the difference between a 7018 rod from the oven and one that is not. They burn differently and the flux chips off differently after the weld.

/ 'Baking' Rods #10  
I keep my 7018 in a Phoenix Dryrod oven set at 300F. I take out a few as I need them and all unused rods go back in the oven. I keep my opened 50# boxes of 6010 in plastic cartons (10# size) taped at the joint except for the one that I am using out of and that one I just lay on top outside of my energized hot box. It keeps it warm but not hot. Some white powder will form on 6010 after prolonged exposure (months of open air)but they still weld ok as long as you don't get them wet.