Bad Boy Mower Grounded

/ Bad Boy Mower Grounded #1  

rlawrence2

Tractor
2010 Badboy ZT Kohler 27
All these "safety" switches were killing me on my 2010 Bad Boy ZT (27 Kohler) earlier this year and I replaced a couple. Now most of my 12 v is grounded; blew ignition line fuse, and all wires to safety switches are grounded in starting position/key on. Thought it was just a safety switch, but checked them all and they are all good, at least the 4 I know are there (2 handles, brake, seat). Removed and tested starter relay and all 5 and all work properly. Removed key and mower connectors on console and cleaned and no change; verified hots are grounded on that side too. Removed wiring from clutch and it is grounded too. Some of these are supposed to be grounded of course in certain conditions, but without a wiring diagram it is very hard to determine what is when.....

Odd too, as I just bumped into a brick wall with mower deck and it died right there. Went to Bad Boy site and downloaded the wiring diagram, but it isn't for the 2010, so that's the first request.

Where can I get the exact wiring diagram on my 2010 Bad Boy ZT (27 Kohler)? Wrote Bad Boy, but they haven't answered. Will work to call them this week too.

It seems like there is a dead short in the wiring somewhere in the harnesses, but before tearing apart the harnesses, I'd really like to just run down the wiring with a diagram first.

Any other thoughts from your experience would be appreciated too.

P.S. Another clue... should have never washed it down the night before.......

/ Bad Boy Mower Grounded #2  
Your P.S. may be the reason. You could have water in a switch or relay being the issue. If you have a hot air gun try drying them.

/ Bad Boy Mower Grounded #3  
Washed down my Ferris with Kawasaki engine on time and it wouldn't start. Had to work the safeties several times before it finally started. Water must have gotten to one or more but thankfully just working the handles, brake and seat switches cleared the problem.

/ Bad Boy Mower Grounded
Your P.S. may be the reason. You could have water in a switch or relay being the issue. If you have a hot air gun try drying them.

I did blow everything out with air compressor; tested every relay also. Every safety switch works properly per continuity check. I can only guess there must be other splices in the wiring harness that I have to tear into..... but seems like by now they would have dried; it's been 3 days. Also, don't seem to jive with the other "clue" in that it stopped dead as soon as I bumped the front edge wheel on right side on brick wall; not hard either. Died right there. I can start it by applying 12 v to the starter terminal of the solenoid, so it's not that or in the motor.

I really need a correct wiring diagram...

/ Bad Boy Mower Grounded #5  
I would first call the MFG and see if they will supply the correct diagram and maybe give some advice based on the problem. Contact Us - Bad Boy Mowers

I downloaded the manual they list for the 2010 ZT and the wiring diagram is unreadable.

If it died as soon as you bumped the wall it would seem it either severed or grounded a wire connected to the deck in some way..

/ Bad Boy Mower Grounded #6  
A couple of things come to mind. I don't have a Bad Boy but you might also have a safety on the blade engagement set up. I went even balder trying to figure things out on my Exmark when I repowered it last spring. I Replaced the old engine that had all the safety switch's controlled by the engines EFI harness. Ended up buying a new harness for a different model to get it working. The new setup has a separate box that has the safety logic in it. For instance when the blades are on, the handle safeties react the opposite as the do when the blades are off. Partstree.com is what I use for mower parts diagrams.