Anyone have opinions on the Bad Boy ZTs

/ Anyone have opinions on the Bad Boy ZTs #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
I was close to getting a Country Clipper. This week walked into my LS dealer to see about a land grader and he is handling Bad Boy mowers.

For the same price $5000, I can get a Bad Boy Elite that has a pivoting front suspension and 7ga deck instead of a 12 ga deck. The BB weighs 125lbs more and looks very solid. Both have the 2800 hydros.

Opininions

/ Anyone have opinions on the Bad Boy ZTs #2  
I have the Outlaw.

It’s been very good. I’ve had it 6 years and 600 hours.

Only complaints are-

—- I do not like the oil drain process. It’s difficult.

—- I’ve broken 2 drive springs. Always as far away from the shop as possible. They are cheap and easy to replace - but they should not break so much.

—- I replaced the seat with a suspension seat. Before, I was being shook too much.

That is all.

MoKelly

/ Anyone have opinions on the Bad Boy ZTs #3  
I picked up a Maverick on March 1. It has the 3200 Hydros, 60" deck, big tires and rides as nice as it can. It still has the break-in oil in it so I don't have much time on it. But the thing will fly on level ground--Up to 9mph so it says! You better have the seatbelt on though.

2021 Maverick.jpg

What I've found so far;

It's not as nimble as my old Woods 52" Mowin-Machine. (Same as Grasshopper) I have to watch "ZTR" turns or the no-scalp rollers will tear up the grass when turning. I like the old caster wheels on the Woods.

I used to be able to mow close up and under shrubs with the Woods ZTR in a forward and back loop motion. I could mow the immediate yard area in a half hour or less. The Woods deck was low and forward of the machine. Can't do that with the Big Boy or you get a face full of branches. And sometimes Yellow Jackets.

At the moment, I think the controls need adjusted for neutral. Mine creeps even with the control bars in the out position. I'm pretty sure Tractor Supply setup people are NOT mechanically inclined. They had the ROPs mounted backwards and it wouldn't fold down so I'll most likely be looking at the controls myself also.

This is the Woods after I refreshed it about 10 years ago. It was a 1986 model.
Mow-N-Machine-1.jpg

Last edited:
   / Anyone have opinions on the Bad Boy ZTs #5  
If that's the case, this will be my last BB. I'm pretty sure they don't ship these with the ROPs in upright position.

Too little or no QC checking on obvious problems.

The first photo was one I got off the net while researching my ROPs problem. The photo shows the correct mounting. I was also missing the U bracket.

Last edited:
   / Anyone have opinions on the Bad Boy ZTs #6  
For what it's worth, I was just talking to my dealer earlier this week and the subject of the Bad Boy tractors came up.....

He said he was dropping the Bad Boy line due to poor communication, poor parts supply / distribution, and poor payment history. They are apparently going to sell re-branded TYM tractors to try and bail themselves out....

He said they were very well built ZT's, he sold a lot of them. Not too much warranty problem, just the afore mentioned dealer issues.

/ Anyone have opinions on the Bad Boy ZTs #7  
I service a handful of these every year. The build is heavy enough, but shouldn't be confused with being a true commercial machine. Perfectly engineered, no. MoKelly's note on the oil changes, though correct- unfortunately seems to apply to many ZTRs. Like having a drain slot cut in the pan to send the oil into a pan rather spill under the engine. If it was only in the right position! Parts I get are online as there is no dealer support where I am. Reoccurring things I've seen are minor. IE just about all of them have a vapor recovery line that is not vapor friendly and they get hard, shrink and pull the grommet out of the top of the fuel tank. NBD The electric actuator for the deck lifts are costly, but that's the worst of what I've seen.

/ Anyone have opinions on the Bad Boy ZTs #8  
Current model Bad Boys (at least the higher end stuff) have a oil drain hose so you can direct the oil wherever you want it. And they sell them so you can add to other models.

MoKelly - What is the 'drive spring' you mention?

Rob

/ Anyone have opinions on the Bad Boy ZTs #9  
Current model Bad Boys (at least the higher end stuff) have a oil drain hose so you can direct the oil wherever you want it. And they sell them so you can add to other models.

MoKelly - What is the 'drive spring' you mention?

Rob

It’s the spring that keeps the transmission belt tight enough to move the mower. It sits under the machine in the back near the left side.

It costs something like $15 but I’ve had 2 break. When it breaks you are stranded.

Hope that helps.

MoKelly

/ Anyone have opinions on the Bad Boy ZTs #10  
Gotcha. Yeah, losing belt tension on the hydro motors would be a problem. May have to keep a spare spring on hand if I get the Rogue.

Rob