Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand?

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #1  

_RaT_

Tractor
Kioti 3510-SE HST
I tried a quick search on the ATV urility forum and did not come up with much even though I'm sure you have seen or participated in a discussion about them. We are considering a general purpose utility ATV. Some trail riding on easily traversable terrain, maintanence around here like spraying RoundUp for the weeds, sprinkler repair, etc. About the only thing I'm pretty sure I want or need is the ability to have one arm free to hang onto a 3 year old boy. I must also say I have driven two brands in the distant past and one could go in and out of 4WD and the other could not. I really liked how the one that could go into 2WD handled in 2WD. Also entertaining is the thought of bringing it up north of here to a family member with several thousand acres of beautiful hilly terrain West of Mount Lassen in California. The Honda Rancher AT seems appropriate but I would appreciate your opinion. I contacted a fella here at TBN and he gave me some good info. I am looking now for more information from folks hopefully with a variety of experience and brands. Thanks, Rat...

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #2  
The best advice I can give is to ride as many different atv's as possible and buy the one that fits you best. All the major companies are putting out good products today and it is mostly personal preference. Some people will tell you to definitely not buy certain brands. For example, Polaris has gained a bad reputation from past problems. They have these resolved today and are as reliable as most others. For more in-depth atv information, check out the forums at http://www.atvnation.com . We have a lot of knowledgable folks there. Good luck in your search.

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #3  
"One arm free for a 3 year old boy"? Sorry man, no offense intended, but that is a scary thought. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Driving an ATV on anything but level ground, in 2WD, and very, very, slow speed, will usually require both hands from an operator. Even hitting a bump under these conditions can cause the handlebars to jerk from your hand and loss of throttle and brake control.

If you do decide to ride double (not recommended), you may want to consider one of the wrap-around aftermarket storage/backrest combo's, which are three sided and offer more secure transport of precious cargo. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you decide to carry a passenger, you may want to consider a Rhino or similar, but not sure if the safety harnesses will fit a 3 year old. I believe Bombadier also now makes an atv specifically for two up riding.

Honda makes great machines, so does Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Polaris. The model you choose will basically depend on your needs. There are 15-25 gallon sprayers available to mount on front or back racks, or pull in a small trailer so make sure you check the rack specs and towing capacity of the machine you choose.

The atv's with automatic transmissions also might be more condusive to your needs.

Most of the atv mfg's offer models you can select both 2wd and 4wd modes, however, these models are usually larger in displacement and weight.

Do a search for atv forums and you can gain additional insight, from actual owners, on specific models you are interested in.

Most of the atv magazines out comparisons and buyers guides and are a great place to start in your search for the best machine.

Ride safe friend!

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #4  
Rat,

My 2 cents. (oops. Long post. Let's make it a 4 cent response /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

First, let's take care of your son.
What I do that works very well is to get a luggage strap. They're about 2" wide. Adjust the length so it goes around you son's chest and your belly. Snug, but not tight. I put the clip on the left side, in the small open area between my son and myself so it doesn't dig into either of us and is available for easy disconnect (by me only). You can now have both hands on the grips. If you need to bail out, he's coming with you.

Now, to choose an ATV.
Since it will be used for both yard work and recreation, I would recommend a transmission that is not 100% fully automatic. When doing chores that require a constant speed (spraying, rolling the yard...) it is easier to maintain speed when you can select the gear. For recreational use, you can either shift manually or flick it over to automatic.

A selectable 2/4WD would be beneficial. I have both and concur that the full-time 4WD is a bit harder to steer.

As for the size of the ATV. Your needs sound like you can get something as small as a 250cc. Not sure if I'd go much over 500cc for your needs. I bought a 700cc Kawasaki Prairie last spring. Sold it after about 15 miles. Way too fast and powerful, especially if you are going to have a child with you. Although it looks like a work machine, I hit the gas hard once from a dead stop and flipped it over backwards. Don't need that...

As for a manufacturer.
This gets into a grey area since there are so many mergers and manufacturers sharing parts nowadays.
A couple examples.
Kawasaki and Suzuki are merging. (or already have). The large Suzuki's (over 500cc) are re-dressed Kawasaki's. The small (kids sized) Kawasaki's are re-dressed Suzuki's. In the middle cc range, I believe each is retaining their own engines and designs.

Artic Cat uses Suzuki engines but the rest of the machine is theirs.

You mentioned the Honda Rancher. That would be a great selection.

Like the others have mentioned, there's a lot out there and trying each is your best bet. Like tractors and cars, there are the "big 3" but there's a lot of great machines and competition in the rest of the manufacturers.

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand?
I like the idea of the strap. Obviously I am going at very slow and on pretty level terrain with my kid. The kid talks about his rides with me adnauseum, I love it. The suggestion for a smaller engine size does make sense for my needs. Rat...

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #6  
Before owning an ATV, I thought it was something I really wanted and needed to have. I have two Kawasaki 400's that do just what they are supposed to do, but not what I really want them to do.

My problem with an ATV is it's limitations on size and utility. You already touched on the issue of a passenger. Just not a really safe or practical method to carry them. Equipment and gear is severly limited to the cargo racks. Tools and a few supplies, and you're dealing with strapping or bungy cording it all together. It's a never ending battle.

If the ATV was just for fun or getting into some remote country to hunt or fish, then it is fine for that.

I think the newer Utility Vehicles offer everything an ATV does with more comfort, space and safety.

I really like the ability to have a roof over my head. Keeps out rain and the sun.

Having a passenger seat is obviously the better choice for giving kids a ride, but the back bed also works good for hauling extra passengers. Using proper caution, of course. The extra seating would be really handy for putting stuff on it that's easy to reach and use.

That bed in the back is a real winner in my opinion. No strapping down of anything. Just load and unload. Depending on make and model, there must be allot more storage in those beds than an ATV.

Brands and engine choice is up to you and your local dealers. Just like picking a tractor. If I could afford it, I'd love to have a diesel one just for the simple reason of using the same red diesel I use in my tractors.

I haven't priced new ATV's lately, but from the prices of the new Utlity Vehicles, I don't think its a huge difference.

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand?
Oddly, I am just the opposite. I use a family members 4WD Kawasaki Mule and another family members ATV (Suzuki 250) and on occasion a pretty large, very low trailer I built for him behind it and found the ATV more practical for my needs. Manuverability and the ability to carry the necessary tools or repair supplies for all the irrigation needs I was attending too. In short, the Mule was great but the ATV with the trailer could actually take a much bigger load and the trailer would actually sled on the ground in rough terrain since it's very low height limited its clearance. I made it low so the large garbage cans etc., could be walked onto the trailer. All in all, I have weighed the benefits of a ATV vs RTV and personally like the ATV for my needs. Now, are you selling your Kawasaki's? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for the reply, Rat...

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #8  
My brother just bought a 04 polaris 600 sportsman that I have ridden some it was OK. I took my 3 year old on it and was not as convenient as the 1986 honda 4wd that my brother had last year.

I hooked my utility trailer to both of them and for sure the polaris could pull it better because of its size but the difference between auto clutch gear tranny and CVT belt tranny is apparent when tiptoeing over bumps. By the time you give the cvt belt enough gas to engage you are launched more than you you'd like, on the gear tranny every little bit of gas results in smooth forward movement.

I am a pro-american company type person but I must admit when atvs are the discussion, Honda prevails, just like John Deere and tractors /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

ATVtv.com has a review of 2004 models in the 500 and 400cc class, but are sponsored partly by honda and suzuki and it shows.

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #9  
A person can add a heelclicker kit to the Polaris to minimize belt slip FWIW.

I'm in the same boat as Eddie Walker. An RUV would suit my needs much better than my atv, but the major obstacle is convincing the wife. A new Polaris Ranger will bring from $8000 to $10000. New atvs vary greatly depending on size and make. You can buy a Polaris Trailblazer 250 for $3000 or you can buy a Kawasaki Brute Force 750 for close to $7500.

Now I'm off to find my thinking cap to come up with a way to convince the wife that I need a new Ranger and that it was her idea. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Any advice/comments on a particular ATV or brand? #10  
OK, I have more "cents" although maybe not "sense".

Since I can't agree with both EddieWalker and Rat since they're the opposites, I will say both works.
I used an ATV with trailer (when needed) for 10 years prior to getting a RTV this year with great success.
For the most part, I have converted to using the RTV for "chores". I have yet to go through all 4 seasons but I have reverted to an ATV lately. The ground is so wet here that the RTV is leaving pretty decent depressions in the yard. I don't yet know how the RTV will do in the snow. If I need to do something that only takes a few minutes (e.g. get a trailer load of firewood), I will probably grab an ATV. I could get the chore done before the diesel and tranny are warm on the RTV).
For "recreation", I go back and forth. If I’m doing casual riding or have the kids with me, I’ll grab the RTV. For real “playing”, I’ll grab an ATV. I do like the bench seat for the kids but the RTV is more of a work machine and truly playing is more suited for a Ranger or Rhino.
Rat – If your family member’s Suzuki is the LTF-250 (general machine with racks and stuff, not the racing 250), that’s one of the greatest ATV’s ever made. For all-around purposes, I’d put it right near the top. Am I allowed to say I have one for sale?