another hiccup to going solar?

/ another hiccup to going solar? #201  
Does anyone here have a wind turbine or two to supplement solar? I have been looking at smaller vertical axis wind turbines, in addition to solar.
No decision yet.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #202  
Does anyone here have a wind turbine or two to supplement solar? I have been looking at smaller vertical axis wind turbines, in addition to solar.
No decision yet.
Looked into it at one time. Not enough wind here to make it worthwhile. With our average wind speed would barely produce any useful electricity.

In southern Ontario we get many grey overcast days so solar isn't very cost effective. I was speaking to a neighbor who was complaining he didn't produce any electricity in January and February last year. This year not much better.

Cheaper to conserve energy and hook up to the grid.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #203  
No decision yet.
You asked good questions, my friend. I have the same question. My place is on top of a hill and frequently has 4-30 mph winds. It also has 4-6 days of rain or overcast. My solar is "adequate" and I just added another battery. (5 panels and 5 deep cycle batts). I'm looking into swapping my 100 wt panels for 200 wt panels. The vertical wind generators are tempting but, like you, there are many no wind/light wind days where it would be useless. Looking for reader input.....

/ another hiccup to going solar? #204  
I have an off grid solar system and a connection to the grid. If my batteries get too low I use a transfer switch to connect my home back to the grid. My heavy loads are on a separate circuit always connected to the grid.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #205  
My wife and I looked into solar but the only way I could see it making sense would be to not include the electric company in any way. Meaning go completely off grid or using electric company power only when excessive power is needed. This would require a battery bank and the ROI just isn't there. To go into business with the electric company and expect to use them as a resource just didnt seem reliable or like a good bet. I wouldnt do it without a sufficient battery bank and the cost is preventative.

One day if the battery technology and cost of battery banks changes, it might be worth looking at again.
That is exactly what I did. I have the heavy loads (electric heat) connected to the grid power and a transfer switch to connect the rest to the grid if my batteries get low. $20,000 for an 11,000 pvw off grid system and I did the install myself. I did find out I am a little short on power so I need 10 more panels and two more batteries. That will another $5000. I paid cash, having one installed and financed would cost twice that.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #206  
No decision yet.
I don't have wind turbines, but I looked into them some time ago before I looked into solar. They did not seem to be a good decision economically. What I learned then, must be 15 year ago now, what they they would never pay for themselves. Before they paid for themselves they would need to be replaced. Of course we are talking a lot of years and they may be improved now. If you have other reasons for installing them that might be one thing, but if the goal is to save money that is less likely with wind that with solar. I've had my solar panels for over 7 years, they have paid for themselves and will likely last another 10 to 15 years before the panels need to be replace.

I would definitely look at life expectancy and how much power they are projected to create over that time.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #207  
Looked into it at one time. Not enough wind here to make it worthwhile. With our average wind speed would barely produce any useful electricity.

In southern Ontario we get many grey overcast days so solar isn't very cost effective. I was speaking to a neighbor who was complaining he didn't produce any electricity in January and February last year. This year not much better.

Cheaper to conserve energy and hook up to the grid.
I'm in northern California and there's often next to no solar production in January and February. Over the whole year I'm still where I planned to be, but with a modern house solar alone definitely isn't going to cover dark winter months, let alone further north where the days are that much shorter and skies more likely to be dark from weather.

I've looked into wind, and it's a rare place that has the consistent wind necessary to make it economically feasible - more likely on an ocean coast or up in mountains. Doesn't matter if you "often" have 30mph winds, the problem is that when you think "yeah it's windy here" you're typically thinking about when it's windy it's windy! of course. No, you need windy almost all the time... or at least when the sun isn't shining, but that's still a lot of time.

IMO the off-grid holy grail would be having a big lake up above and using it for hydroelectric in the winter.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #208  
Do you have net metering? When I had solar, net metering would "bank" my excess production, and I made enough to carry an electric heat house all winter.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #209  
Do you have net metering? When I had solar, net metering would "bank" my excess production, and I made enough to carry an electric heat house all winter.
I do. Everything "trues up" in February. My system was sized aiming at about a 90% bill reduction. If you go over 100% you waste it, as net metering pays absolute peanuts if you go over.

tbh my main electricity use is in the summer, if it's a hot one or really smokey. If the air is clear and it's not crazy hot I just open everything.
I expect better electricity this year as I also had an old irrigation pump that ran almost all the time due to poor sealing...

/ another hiccup to going solar? #210  
I do. Everything "trues up" in February. My system was sized aiming at about a 90% bill reduction. If you go over 100% you waste it, as net metering pays absolute peanuts if you go over.

tbh my main electricity use is in the summer, if it's a hot one or really smokey. If the air is clear and it's not crazy hot I just open everything.
I expect better electricity this year as I also had an old irrigation pump that ran almost all the time due to poor sealing...
You're right about peanuts, Eversource paid .0675 per kwh, and charges about .18kwh. I didn't care, 52 panels consistently produced 15MW a year. System paid off in roughly 8 years. When we sold house, solar brought in enough "extra" money to pay it off again. I did use roof rake in winter, to increase production.