Another confused first timer

/ Another confused first timer #241  
Cahaba, How many tractors do you own and what brands.
Well as stated in my profile I currently own a late 60's Ford 3000. Before that we had a Long 360 which was a great tractor and now I am shopping for a new tractor. Think I have pretty much decided on what I want.

/ Another confused first timer #242  
   / Another confused first timer #243  
A small percentage perhaps. But the reliability of direct injection is far more important to me.
Plus the owner can actually work on his tractor without being dependent on dealers with proprietary diagnostic software.

/ Another confused first timer #244  
I prefer to run tractors built with the electronic common rail that were built pre tier4.
On the farm the IH PUMA 125 is the same size as the NH 6050 and the same basic engine,
the PUMA is common rail the 6050 is mechanical.
The PUMA starts nicer when it's cold the NH stumbles a bit at the same temps.
The PUMA holds it's power longer and deeper into the power band.
It also responds faster when the load is increased.
They are both good tractors, we have had some more wiring issues with the PUMA.
Neither have DEF pr DPF's. The PUMA sounds and seems like a smoother running engine.
Which one do I think will last longer, I believe the NH will as push comes to shove as it will run
with less electrical interface.
Also as ptsg has mention when you go back to less fancied up drivedrains they are much easier to work on.

/ Another confused first timer
I am sure learning a lot from this thread! Thanks for sharing... :)

/ Another confused first timer #246  
Well as stated in my profile I currently own a late 60's Ford 3000. Before that we had a Long 360 which was a great tractor and now I am shopping for a new tractor. Think I have pretty much decided on what I want.
Then how can you Form your negative opinions other Brands and dealers? I am not saying you have to own 1 of every brand but your bad mouthing tractors and dealers who sell other than deere or kubota and your knowledge comes from owning a 60s tractor.

Last edited:
   / Another confused first timer #247  
Old houses can certainly be worth more than new ones...neighborhood improves, some old houses are better built, antique value, Etc...but they aren't tractors. I am just simply not going to pay nearly as much for a used tractor when I can get a brand spankin' new one for just a hair more...

Just my opinion, I'm new to tractors.....
There's always a bit of unknown with "brand spankin' new" anything.

Advertisers put a lot of effort into shaping our financial and social opinions. Obviously they want us believing that new, complex, and expensive things are to be preferred.

But predicting the mechanical reliability of a machine is different. With machinery we can also look at resale values of older models to help evaluate the reliability - or not - of earlier models.

/ Another confused first timer #248  
Prices can be confirmed with phone calls. Dealers in other regions can and do post pricing for same models of equipment.

Sure beats the old days of calling Information in a far away city and asking, "Hey, Y'all got any tractor dealers in your town?"

And I was around long before AlGore invented the internet.
Guess it depends on the brand tractors. Many tractor manufactures won't their dealers to post prices on the net.
You've always been able to call and ask prices though

/ Another confused first timer #249  
Kenmac - I have seen a few of the newer tractors that advertise they have none of the new emissions stuff on them. (A Branson specifically) Am I reading that wrong or can you still get these kind of tractors new nowadays?
All new diesels 25 hp ? and under, Must meet tier 4 emissions. Doesn't matter if it's a diesel lawnmower, etc

/ Another confused first timer #250  
I agree which is why I suggest every tractor buyer go and demo the equipment they are interested in before purchasing it.
Going to demo a tractor and experience with them, are not one and the same