Advice request

/ Advice request #1  

kneedeep

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510 & 8560
I have a OLD Lincoln welder, has a crank to adjust amps. It will weld bigger stuff than I need but it is getting old like me and one day it will cease to operate. I have to put a fan blowing on it since the original never worked since I had it. It welds a beautiful bead if heat is right and rods are dry.
My advice request is;
I want to semi retire the old welder, only crank it up for big needs.(Power Co may not be happy)
I need a small welder for lighter metals that would weld up to 1/4" thick material max and thin metal that the old Lincoln burns up. I don't weld a lot anymore, but I really would like to do some thin yard art type stuff from all the junk I have accumulated over the years.

What do you guys suggest for a small machine??

Thanks

/ Advice request #2  
I have a OLD Lincoln welder, has a crank to adjust amps. It will weld bigger stuff than I need but it is getting old like me and one day it will cease to operate. I have to put a fan blowing on it since the original never worked since I had it. It welds a beautiful bead if heat is right and rods are dry.
My advice request is;
I want to semi retire the old welder, only crank it up for big needs.(Power Co may not be happy)
I need a small welder for lighter metals that would weld up to 1/4" thick material max and thin metal that the old Lincoln burns up. I don't weld a lot anymore, but I really would like to do some thin yard art type stuff from all the junk I have accumulated over the years.

What do you guys suggest for a small machine??

Thanks

Hi Kneedeep,
My 2 cents would be look into a small Hobart mig at a tractor supply store. If your not worried about spending a little extra $. I would look into a Miller or Lincoln. They would have better resale value if you decide to sell it later. Hope you stick with an American or semi American made. Htp welders are Italian, but the company has a very good rep. Might be an option also. Probably wouldn't hold their value as well.

/ Advice request #3  
Bday, As far as the resale value, not exactly true. You may get more money for it IF you sell it, but if you pay 50,000 dollars for a car that is worth 25,000 dollars in a year, and you pay 15,000 dollars for a car that is worth 10,000 dollars in a year, which one has a higher resale value?

With that said, kneedeep, about any small MIG 200 amps or under would probably fit your needs.

/ Advice request #4  
Hi there.
Why don't you look at one of those inverter machines. A 180 amp unit will do more than what you want using stick welding. These machines are very light and portable and you can use it for tig welding ferrous materials. A tig torch is also cheap and a small bottle of argon wont break the bank either

/ Advice request #5  
A PA140 from Everlast will weld 1/4" steel, and will do lift start TIG for thin stuff. It's very reasonably priced. With 140 amps, you will be stretching to reach the top end of 1/8" 7018, but I run that rod below 140 amps on my PA160 no problem. I don't know anybody who runs 7018 at 160 amps, even thought that's the top of its range in the book.

/ Advice request #6  
Budget and process would be nice to know. A wire feeder would work good on thinner material

/ Advice request #7  
joshuabardwell said:
A PA140 from Everlast will weld 1/4" steel, and will do lift start TIG for thin stuff. It's very reasonably priced. With 140 amps, you will be stretching to reach the top end of 1/8" 7018, but I run that rod below 140 amps on my PA160 no problem. I don't know anybody who runs 7018 at 160 amps, even thought that's the top of its range in the book.
I have the PA140 and run 1/8 7018 at 130 amps with no problems. Very nice unit.

/ Advice request #8  
I have had good luck with a Hobart 140 mig, I have some old threads like from 2006 when I bought it, on here from that welder, it is a set up for 120v and has welded anything I have thrown at it. I also have a Hobart AC/DC stick welder for the big stuff, if you have never used a mig you will kick yourself for not buying one sooner.

I use flux core in it and have not had problems doing sheet metal work, little slower and usually weld thin stuff with a wet rag in my hand to keep the metal cool. Because of the time it takes I have a door on another truck I am working on that needs a patch panel and I think I will get a bottle for it.

I used the 140 to with flux core to do the floor, build the exhaust mount and fill in all the holes on the back of the cab
025.JPG027.JPG026.JPG
022.JPG028 (2).JPG033.JPG20130522_205021.jpg