Adding more Diesel additives

/ Adding more Diesel additives #1  

CVHoss

Gold Member
Tractor
J.D. 4400
While I'm sittin' here patiently waiting for them to deliver my new tractor, I thought I'd ask you all a question on fuel additives. I tried to search on relevant terms and couldn't find anything on the exact question I had, so if this has been brought up several times before, my apologies. This tractor will be my first Diesel anything, so I'm completely ignorant regarding Diesel fuel and it's properties.

I've went to my local fuel supplier, bought a drum pump and a 55gal drum of fuel. I asked him about additives, specifically to control algae growth. He said that he already puts an additive in his off-road diesel, so I wouldn't need to add anything else.

The question: Since I tend to lean to the overly cautious side, would it hurt anything to put additional Diesel fuel conditioner/additives in the fuel if he actually is already putting something in his fuel? If not, what type/brand would you recommend? Is there a necessity to add something to help keep the injector pump, etc. lubricated? Is there one additive that covers all of the bases?

Thanks for your help.
Hoss

jdhsc.gif

/ Adding more Diesel additives #2  
Hoss, my fuel distributor (Exxon) says they have the additive in it already, but he still recommends adding another (or more) if you aren't going to use it pretty quickly. I use Power Service myself, primarily because it's available lots of places like Wal-mart, Gebo's, Tractor Supply Co., etc. and that's what my full time farmer neighbors use. I just dump a pint in a 55 gallon barrel every time I refill it. As to whether it's necessary or really helps . . ., I've no technical knowledge, but I feel better with it in there./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Adding more Diesel additives #3  
If you feel you need to add more ditto with Bird on the Power Service. Been around forever and good stuff.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Adding more Diesel additives #4  
Hoss

I can't comment on off-road diesel but I have been running diesel cars for about ten years - we are based in the UK so gas is about $6 a gal. Around seven years ago I started to use an additive and noticed an improvement in consumption, a reduction in smoke and smoother running.

When I eventually get a tractor I will definately use an additive. I use Millers Diesel Clean but you probably won't be able to get it over your side of the pond. I would imagine that any good quality product will have a beneficial effect.

Regards

Andrew.

/ Adding more Diesel additives #5  
I go along with Bird on that. Power service is pretty good stuff, I also use it in my diesel pickup. I use to use howes but I can only get it at the truckstop and I dont get down that way to often.

1951 John Deere B (poppin johnny)
Semper Fidelis

/ Adding more Diesel additives #6  
One question I would ask is how long will it take you to use up 55 gallons?

I would be more worried about having unblended #2 in the barrel in the winter than I would be about anything growing in it.

In short, if you buy your diesel fuel basically at the same rate you use it (i.e., 5 gal/week, or something like that), you won't have to worry about algae or seasonal problems.

/ Adding more Diesel additives
Two main reasons for the 55 gallon drum up front. Have a couple of major projects for the tractor, and since I'm semi-retired, not limited to just a few evening hours and weekends, so would prefer to not have to haul a couple of 5 gallon cans to pick up fuel a couple of times a week. Plus, the only place in our small town to get off-road Diesel closes at 5:00 p.m on Friday and doesn't open up again until Monday at 8:00 a.m., plus they're only open until 5:00 p.m. during the week, so either I make sure that I've got fuel for the weekend or buy road diesel at about a .80 per gallon penalty.

Hoss

jdisc.gif

/ Adding more Diesel additives #8  
The 80 cent savings on a gallon of off-road diesel may or may not be a money saver in the long run.

Off-road diesel can have as much as .5% sulfur in it, which is ten times higher than on-road. It *may* not have that much, but it can. Sulfur serves no purpose in today's diesel fuel, and combines with water to become sulfuric acid, necessitating more frequent oil changes. Your owner's manual should address this.

When I get my tractor (I don't have one yet; I've got to build a building to house it first), I plan to run on-road fuel unless I can find a source of off-road that is guaranteed to be nothing more than dyed low sulfur.

/ Adding more Diesel additives #9  
cp1969,
Where do you get your information on the high sulfur diesel fuel? My fuel guy here has assured me several times that off-road and on-road are the exact same fuel! He said they put the dye in it not the mfg. He said it is all delivered from the same truck and once it's dumped into the separate tanks they add the dye at the tanks. I've asked other wholesalers here the same question and get the same answer.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Adding more Diesel additives #10  
I have one neighbor with some very old tractors and he wants the high sulfur diesel. There's one distributor in the area that has both the high sulfur and the regular #2 with red dye (or at least that's what he claims) and that's where this neighbor buys his diesel in a 250 gallon tank on a trailer.

Bird