Ballast Adding Backhoe- Ballast needed or not

/ Adding Backhoe- Ballast needed or not #1  

kneedeep

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510 & 8560
I will be adding a Backhoe soon to my Mahingra 3510. When I purchased it, the dealer added drive tire ballast.

Is this extra weight necessary with the Backhoe added and if removed how will it affect plowing and grading?

Anyone have a 3510/4110 without rear ballast?

Last edited:
   / Adding Backhoe- Ballast needed or not #2  
I will be adding a Backhoe soon to my Mahingra 3510. When I purchased it, the dealer added drive tire ballast.

Is this extra weight necessary with the Backhoe added and if removed how will it affect plowing and grading?

Anyone have a 3510/4110 without rear ballast?

The rear tire ballast will also help your backhoe dig better.

/ Adding Backhoe- Ballast needed or not #3  
Do you have a loader? Rear ballast is always welcomed when a loader is on a tractor.

The rear ballast won't affect the backhoe much at all, leave it in. As mentioned might help a little if you dip into hard ground.

--->Paul

/ Adding Backhoe- Ballast needed or not
Seems lik a lot of extra weight w/BH. I have the 112 FEL, thats why the ballast was added.
It is full up to the valve stem in the highest position.
About what weight am I looking at here in the tires?
I only have a 7000# gross gooseneck trailer.

/ Adding Backhoe- Ballast needed or not #5  
If your ballast is water or water/methanol mix, you have approx. 440 lbs. of ballast in each tire, maybe a little more. Your tractor itself does not "carry" that weight on it's axles like it does the backhoe so it's not hurting anything as far as the tractor goes. The capacity of the trailer is a different story though - it does carry it for sure !! My 4110 has 55 gal. of methanol/water mix in each tire and mine is up to the valve stem when at about 11 or 1 o' clock. My 4110 with FEL and light duty 6' boxblade on weighs almost 7000 lbs, I would imagine yours would be over that with the backhoe onboard.

Your right! I did not think the ballast is weight to the ground and not 'on' the tractor!
The trailer will have to carry all that weight. I will probably have to change the axles to a 10K# set and bigger tires and wheels to make it work. It is a heavy channel iron frame trailer and I can get new springs, hangars, axles and wheels for a lot less than a new one cost.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Adding Backhoe- Ballast needed or not #7  
Your right! I did not think the ballast is weight to the ground and not 'on' the tractor!
The trailer will have to carry all that weight. I will probably have to change the axles to a 10K# set and bigger tires and wheels to make it work. It is a heavy channel iron frame trailer and I can get new springs, hangars, axles and wheels for a lot less than a new one cost.

:thumbsup:

Have you considered the weight of the trailer on it's axles. You have to subtract that weight from your load's weight for gross load weight.
hugs, Brandi

Have you considered the weight of the trailer on it's axles. You have to subtract that weight from your load's weight for gross load weight.
hugs, Brandi

Tractor, FEL, Ballast and BH will be right out gross weight without trailer weight.

The frame looks like your trailer( saw it in old post about Dump Trailer when you were repairing Washer line) and I can upgrade the undercarriage fom the 3500# axles to 5000# axles springs and hangars.

BTW- What is the gross on your trailer?

/ Adding Backhoe- Ballast needed or not #9  
Tractor, FEL, Ballast and BH will be right out gross weight without trailer weight.

The frame looks like your trailer( saw it in old post about Dump Trailer when you were repairing Washer line) and I can upgrade the undercarriage fom the 3500# axles to 5000# axles springs and hangars.

BTW- What is the gross on your trailer?

My trailer grosses 14,000 lbs. It weighs 2600 pounds on the trailer axles while hooked up to my truck. My Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader and Bradco 511 backhoe tips the scales at 11,300 lbs. So I am 100 pounds under gross with tractor on board. I will be upgrading to a dual tandem trailer in the future. Then I can load my tires and carry more than one attachment.....or a bigger tractor or an 8 ton excavator.
hugs, Brandi

My trailer grosses 14,000 lbs. It weighs 2600 pounds on the trailer axles while hooked up to my truck. My Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader and Bradco 511 backhoe tips the scales at 11,300 lbs. So I am 100 pounds under gross with tractor on board. I will be upgrading to a dual tandem trailer in the future. Then I can load my tires and carry more than one attachment.....or a bigger tractor or an 8 ton excavator.
hugs, Brandi

Does it feel like it is too much for the trailer?