A B2630 or BX2660 for a mowing machine?

/ A B2630 or BX2660 for a mowing machine? #1  

PapaPerk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500
Hello,

As the title says... which is better for mowing a home yard... a BX or the B? I would be using it with a belly mower from Kubota.

I like the fact the B machine is larger, etc. But I'm concerned about turning radius, etc. The machine would be used to mow close to a house just like a riding lawn mower.

Watcha think? Thank you!

/ A B2630 or BX2660 for a mowing machine? #2  
Hello,

As the title says... which is better for mowing a home yard... a BX or the B? I would be using it with a belly mower from Kubota.

I like the fact the B machine is larger, etc. But I'm concerned about turning radius, etc. The machine would be used to mow close to a house just like a riding lawn mower.

Watcha think? Thank you!

I actually just talked to my kubota dealer today and im leaning towards the BX2660 with finish mower instead of belly.Just easier to unhooked when im not using mower. The price they quoted me was 11,400 no ldr,hst,4x4 and belly mower was $1,950 and the finish mower was $1,750. The other tractor I was looking at was the BX2320 it was $10,250,salesman said it would pull the 60in.finsh mower too.

/ A B2630 or BX2660 for a mowing machine? #3  
I think for a dedicated lawn mower, the BX with MMM would be hard to beat. An RFM is great. I own one and use it. The MMM allows for much more control in close cutting, as you can see it without turning back around. The RFM has it place in the wide open, larger areas, but the OP states a desire to cut around the house, etc. Go MMM for that task. (MMM=mid mount mowing deck). (RFM=rear finishing mower)

As for the BX2360 vs a BX2660 it is all about the comfort afforded and how deep your pockets are. It isn't about horse power for mowing so much, as either will handle lawns with ease.

If you like the comfort of the seat and want to go "top of the line" and are willing to pay the extra $1000-$1500 then you want the BX2660, I suppose. The BX2360 will never let you down, imho, and the $1500 would almost pay for the FEL (front end loader), which you haven't talked about, but it turns the lawn mower into a full features landscaping machine!!! Just something to think about. Either way, you'll love what you get.

If all I was doing was buying an oversized "lawn tractor" (no put-down intended) I'd highly consider buying the BX1860 with the 54" deck, best turning radius and call it a day. That would save a ton of money. Kubota doesn't make a bad BX.

A B series, which I own now, is a great tractor, but won't be quite as nifty a mower as a BX, in my opinion. The B is the option when you need/want ground clearance in the gardens, fields and woods, etc. You asked about a B2630, which is a big step up from the BX. You skipped right over the 20 series B. This is a big jump up, imo.

/ A B2630 or BX2660 for a mowing machine? #4  
Oh man I am afraid to even comment on "which is best". We owned a BX2200 for six years and I decided over the winter months that a B2920 was what we really needed as an all around tractor/lawn mower. I was so convinced that we sold our BX2200 to my son in law.

I poured over spec sheets and brochures ad became even more convinced.

My wife and I set out to buy our dream tractor, well look at them in preparation for buying one. After crawling around on the B Series and looking at our property, I began to have doubts. After walking around our property, talking to some TBN members and comparing them side by side, we bought a BX2660 and are convinced we made the right decision.

We don't even own a push mower anymore for trimming as the 60" MMM does an excellent job.

Keep in mind I am talking about mowing and not all around utility.

I am pretty sure there is at least one pretty lengthy thread on here about it and several members have owned/own both.

/ A B2630 or BX2660 for a mowing machine?
I think for a dedicated lawn mower, the BX with MMM would be hard to beat. An RFM is great. I own one and use it. The MMM allows for much more control in close cutting, as you can see it without turning back around. The RFM has it place in the wide open, larger areas, but the OP states a desire to cut around the house, etc. Go MMM for that task. (MMM=mid mount mowing deck). (RFM=rear finishing mower)

As for the 23 vs the 26 it is all about the comfort afforded and how deep your pockets are. It isn't about horse power for mowing so much, as either will handle lawns with ease.

If you like the comfort of the seat and want to go "top of the line" and are willing to pay the extra $1000-$1500 then you want the 26, I suppose. The 23 will never let you down, imho, and the $1500 would almost pay for the FEL (front end loader), which you haven't talked about, but it turns the lawn mower into a full features landscaping machine!!! Just something to think about. Either way, you'll love what you get.

If all I was doing was buying an oversized "lawn tractor" (no put-down intended) I'd highly consider buying the BX1860 with the 54" deck, best turning radius and call it a day. That would save a ton of money. Kubota doesn't make a bad BX.

A B series, which I own now, is a great tractor, but won't be quite as nifty a mower as a BX, in my opinion. The B is the option when you need/want ground clearance in the gardens, fields and woods, etc.

Thanks for the info. I have a Grand L3830 with loader. So not sure I "need" another loader however it sure would be nice! :)

I want a 60" deck for sure. So can the 1860 turn that? I'm all for saving money on this project.

I'm also considering a zero turn but hate to spend big bucks on a machine and only use for mowing! The little tractor can do many other tasks and would be great for dragging logs out of my woods!

Thanks for the help guys. Oh and yes I want a MMM.... the rear mount mower won't work close to the house, etc.

/ A B2630 or BX2660 for a mowing machine? #6  
No, the largest deck on the BX1860 is the 54.

Got to go to the 23 or 26 BX to get the 60. Nice to have two tractors!!!! :D
Makes things a whole bunch more straight forward.

Woods, you say? You're talking a Bro Tek skid plate for a BX or you'll damage the undercarriage and cooling fan for sure.

/ A B2630 or BX2660 for a mowing machine? #7  
Hello,
As the title says... which is better for mowing a home yard... a BX or the B? I would be using it with a belly mower from Kubota. I like the fact the B machine is larger, etc. But I'm concerned about turning radius, etc. The machine would be used to mow close to a house just like a riding lawn mower.
Watcha think? Thank you!

What I think is that you left out a lot of VERY important details.
So:
1) size of mowing area, in acres?
2) terrain of mowing area -- flat, hilly?
3) frequency of mowing -- every week (short clippings), once a month (long clippings)?
4) number of obstacles in mowing area -- none, like a soccer field, or typical wooded back yard with trees and kids jugle gym?
5) how often does it rain during your mowing season? is the mowing area typically soft, medium, or hard?
6) what other tasks are you buying this tractor for?

Wrooster

/ A B2630 or BX2660 for a mowing machine? #8  
If mowing is the only thing you intend to do, neither is the correct machine; you would be better served by a ZTR or a front mower. In choosing between those two, I would recommend the largest in Kubota's F series.

On the other hand, if you need a multi purpose machine, then the choice is between a B and a BX and the criteria for choosing between those two would be based on the non-mowing tasks you intend to perform.

/ A B2630 or BX2660 for a mowing machine? #9  
Also unless I am mistaken the BX is a suspended mower where that B is a contact mower and depending on his lawn that may make a difference also.

/ A B2630 or BX2660 for a mowing machine? #10  
Since you specified B2630, my comment on it and it's brother the B3030 is I love those tractors. But I am not as excited about their MMM. It is a ground contact mower instead of a suspended mower. So rides on the ground when mowing on those relatively small wheels. Some have converted them to suspended with chains. Complaints I have read were scalping, premature wear of the wheels, and tracks left in the lawn from the wheels. Most seem to get 6' versions, so the 5' may well be better.

I think the B2x20 tractors will come close to if not equalling the cut of the BX and they are suspended mower decks. Mine certainly cuts as well as my JD garden tractor and will turn very tight around trees or what ever. You do have to watch when the ground is too moist (not a problem at the moment) as the front tires (R4's) will mark up the lawn in a tight turn. Also it has foldable ROPs, so no real issue catching them on limbs. The B2x20 deck is also drive over and has more clearance underneath for hooking it up or unhooking it.

Price wise, I suspect the BX2660 and the B2320 (same engine) is probably pretty close.