6 volt light on a 12 volt system?

/ 6 volt light on a 12 volt system? #11  
You can wire two 6volt bulbs in SERIES and hook these up to your 12volt circuit. This will require that you isolate the ground on the first lamp if it is single wired and grounded to the lamp shell. Wire from shell to input of second lamp must be added. Fiber or plastic washers could be used to isolate first lamp ground side. However, all of this is more trouble then it's worth. Finding 12volt equivilent bulb should be no problem at any auto store with a change over catalog. This would be the better way to go. Futhermore, when bulbs are wired in series, when one goes they all go.

Lots of luck
george

/ 6 volt light on a 12 volt system? #12  
Peter,
<font color=blue>Wow Twinkle Toes you're like some lighting... guru!</font color=blue>
Not really Peter, I am one of the dimmer bulbs in the socket, but I have some good books and happy to help where I can.

You probably have noticed my lack of my particapation in the real tractor stuff, hydraulics, attachments, diesel engines etc.

If you want some practical light stuff on High Intensity Discharge lighting look here http://www.misty.com/people/don/d2.html#l

The HID lights require a ballast and don't beat the lower voltage Halgon lights by much when you consider the losses in the ballast.

You can get a significant advantage over incandescent by switching to the Halogen light.

On a 15 amp circuit you can go up to about 150 watts safely.
This will draw about 12 Amps normal. Two 75 watt lights are about as much as you want. The wire size on my Kubota in the work light circuit is about #16 at best probably closer to #18

My reference books are at work and I will check Monday and see if I can answer your replacement question.

/ 6 volt light on a 12 volt system?
Thanks to all. I took the advice to replace the bulb. It cost around $8 and was done in under 10min. Works great. Rich.

/ 6 volt light on a 12 volt system? #14  
Twinkle Toes,

Don't sell yourself short here. Your particapation is extremely valuable. No one can be expected to be an expert in all fields. Having a diverse group, with expertise in all areas is what makes this the best group around. Wether the expertise comes from book learning or pratical field experience doesn't matter as long as the problem is resolved.

/ 6 volt light on a 12 volt system? #15  
Peter,

Geee's, Monday already where was Sunday /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

H3 is an ECE, European Motor Vehicle Standard designation. The equivalent American manufacturers designations are:

General Electric 50340
Osram 641521
Philips12336

Your bulb is a Halogen cycle 55 Watt, design voltage 13.2 Volt, 115 Candle Power, with a PK22S base, rated life 225 hours

For a sanity check, look at the lamp and see if it has pigtail wire leads from the base of the bulb. The bulb, tip to base should be about 1 5/8 inches tall .

The only higher power option that I can find is:

G.E. P/N 52130, Halogen cycle 100 Watt, design voltage 13.2 Volts, 187 Candle power, with a PK22S base, rated life 100 hours.

Two 100 Watt bulbs on a 15 Amp breaker are too much, and I wouldn't trade a 225 hour life for a 100 hour life.

Is it possible that the lights you are comparing are headlights to flood lights? Even low power headlights will appear to provide more light output then a high power flood. The candle power numbers above are Average spherical values.

If so what is the bulb p/n for the headlight, maybe I can find a lower wattage that will make them look the same /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Hope this helps, it kind of seems that you are "Right sized" now.