4WD (dis)engagement lever?

/ 4WD (dis)engagement lever? #11  
On my MX Kubota I have to reach down to the floor and lift the lever to engage 4wd. I can then select 2wd by stepping on the lever. So I'm dreaming about a Z extension that will allow me to to select 2 or 4 WD without putting my face in the steering wheel. ;)

/ 4WD (dis)engagement lever? #12  
I can't help but feel you ought not be using your foot, but I can't think as to why.

My user manual is in the garage and the workshop manual next to me feels like using a hammer to swat a fly, so I might just be creating this out of nothing. 😂

/ 4WD (dis)engagement lever?
Dunno if the foot method is correct or not.. it just seems intuitive…

I don’t reach down and use my hand when engaging the diff-lock…;)

I don’t stomp on either peddle… engagement is gentle if one does it right…

/ 4WD (dis)engagement lever? #14  
I personally, would just leave it in 4x4 unless you have hard pavement. You have a HST so don't make tight turns, do a 3 or 4 point turn since backing up is so easy.

If you have to constantly disengage it, Tie a rope to the tip of of the 4x4 lever, and put a handle on it so you can give it a good pull without bending over. Maybe run the rope up to the ROPS to tie it off with the handle halfway down.

Does it lock into place?

/ 4WD (dis)engagement lever? #15  
My jd 2720 has a lever like the one rScotty posted earlier. I made an extension out of .5" plywood to raise and lower the front wheel assist lever. I also glued on 2 magnets so it will stick to the ROPS to be handy and yet out of the way.

The 1.25 cut-out near the end makes it possible to push/pull that lever.

Question, why do they put that hand-only lever so far away from our hand?

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
   / 4WD (dis)engagement lever? #16  
On the L4240 the 4WD position is down, and to disengage is up. It stays in 2WD unless needed. I never tramp the lever down, but gently engage it with my hand. To disengage, I either use the loader to lift the front wheels, or if running without the loader trun from side to side while applying upward pressure on the lever.

In the odd occasion I use the diff lock, I do use my heel, but don't stomp it down. You can feel when it willingly engages.

Although some may say keeping the tractor in 4WD all the time won't increase wear, I don't buy that. Even in the yard, you can feel the binding when turning in 4WD.

/ 4WD (dis)engagement lever? #17  
Interesting, never heard of the lever being that low.

I think there are so many times it's definitely better to be either in 4WD or 2WD, you want to be able to do it easily. I don't see leaving it in either position. Unless you can get by with a cheaper 2WD only tractor from the start!

Not to suggest something dumb, but could you just tie a rope around the lever and tie the other end up high (seat suspension, handle on the fender, bottom of ROPS, someplace like that)? You could pull it up from anyplace along the rope.

/ 4WD (dis)engagement lever? #19  
That pretty much sums up what I’ve been doing…

I’m currently working on getting our driveway back in shape after winter… most times I can pull the BB full but occasionally I’ll need 4WD to keep going… then back to 2WD…

Dig into the pile of road base… sometimes I need extra traction…

I find myself leaving it in 4WD even when unnecessary… until I need to make a sharp U-turn and the tractor starts bucking…

I’ll continue to explore options to get the lever at a more user friendly level… or possibly work on the teeter-totter mod to make shifting into and out of 4WD a foot control affair
Leave it in 4x4 and it will eventually not have 4x4. Usually wears out ring and pinion if nothing breaks first. Pulled a many of them. I worked at Kubota. New Holland had a triangle piece at the wheel hub that would shear. Kubota was a worn out gearset or a broke something else.

/ 4WD (dis)engagement lever? #20  
Dunno if the foot method is correct or not.. it just seems intuitive…

I don’t reach down and use my hand when engaging the diff-lock…;)

I don’t stomp on either peddle… engagement is gentle if one does it right…
The diff lock is spring loaded....