Z122R drive belt fell off

/ Z122R drive belt fell off #1  

banc123

Bronze Member
I have a z122r and while mowing yesterday it just stopped right after a 180 turn. The left and right handles now feel much tighter vs smooth/ease and I can see the belt has come off. I can manually put it back on the left pulley under the seat and the rear one under the engine, but no way to access the right side as it’s under the gas tank. I could not find a video showing how to put it back on anywhere, which is odd, I can typically fine repair videos for just about anything. I’ve seen a SMALL diagram of the belt locations but nothing about how to get to them. Anyone have any links to videos or steps to access the areas needed to put the belt back back.

Thanks

/ Z122R drive belt fell off #2  
I am not sure how similar yours is to a Z231. On that one there were 2 triangular guides that had to come off and I had to pull the deck to do it.

/ Z122R drive belt fell off #3  
if the mower is starting to throw a good belt, the 1st place i'd check is for worn idler (flat) pulley bearings. if there's play, it sometimes leads to throwing belts.

can't help you with routing itself. strange the routing schematic is not labeled on the mower. i have had good success with Jack small engine, and a kevlar belt source. Jacks should have a schematic on the belt routing. have also replaced idler pulleys from them. good luck

/ Z122R drive belt fell off #4  
Diagrams here....

Belts can stretch over time too and not stay tight.
Had that happen on my zero turn last summer - belt would pop off occasionally on rougher terrain, or if I bumped the deck into something. New belt, and no more popping off.....

saved the old belt as a spare though.

/ Z122R drive belt fell off
Jacked it up and took a closer look. There are two belts, one drives the deck blades and the other the drive/wheels/arms. The one that engages the wheels is the one that fell off. It “appears” to go around a top pulley on the engine shaft and then goes off to a pulley for each turn arm. I found a big spring under the mower on the ground that fell off, I’m assuming that’s a retention spring for a pulley arm which explains why the belt came off. I don’t see that removing the deck would help give access, seems like the flat fuel tank under the seat needs to come out and all the pulleys and belt are accessible. Which looks to be a chore as the tank is held on by retaining screws that are only accessible by removing the housing around the tank filler cap, blade engagement puller knob and key. Too hot to start today 🤕.

Amazing there are no videos or quality instructions out there.

/ Z122R drive belt fell off
Still SHOCKED kubota nor anyone really has any good drive belt diagrams or hints on replacement or putting back on one that jumped off

Got it done !

1. while I took off the housing around the gas tank inlet, choke and blade engagement knob , was not needed in the end …skip that

2. while I took all the screws off around the gas tank thinking it would slide out , it would not, too compacted in there. Only way to get the tank out would be to remove the front frame, so I abandoned that.

3. at first look I didn’t think i could access all the pulleys and retention arm/spring from underneath after jacking up the back. On second attempt, I jacked the back up really high (3ft) and used jack stands and front wheel chocks. With that I was able to slide under from the side and at least generally see and get to the pulleys. learned to watch my head from hitting some tabs on the deck.

4. I could not easily figure out how the routing worked. Tried a bunch of different configs and nothing seemed to work that would cause the spring to be tensioned. After a long time surfing google and then yahoo , I found a guy doing a different model but had similar pulley locations. I snapped a pic (attached) of it from his video and used it as a reference and it worked. I used a ratchet strap to pull the spring to where I could push it on the pulley knob and then loosened and twisted the ratchet hook off.

Put it all back together and drive arms worked as normal. If the spring jumps off again I’ll try to adjust the spring hooks. Pretty sure that caused the issue.

Attachments

• A5E1DC3A-D897-43F2-9BA4-490BFD61D25F.png
    A5E1DC3A-D897-43F2-9BA4-490BFD61D25F.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 99