your thoughts on Conty Line 40 ton log splitter

/ your thoughts on Conty Line 40 ton log splitter #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
Members:
your thoughts, experience with this TSC 40 ton County Line log splitter. it will replace my TSC Huskee 35 ton splitter that i'll give to a good friend in need. any feedback appreciated before purchase, thx in advance
CountyLine 4-Ton Log Splitter at Tractor Supply Co.

/ your thoughts on Conty Line 40 ton log splitter #2  
Why are you looking at the extra force? My 28 has taken everything I've fed it including Oak, Locust and Hickory. Trunks that are far bigger than spec'd also.

/ your thoughts on Conty Line 40 ton log splitter
   / your thoughts on Conty Line 40 ton log splitter #4  
I just can't see the point of these 30-40 ton splitters. Without a 4 way wedge, there is just no need for that kind of power.

I'm not really a fan of having the moving wedge ride inside a track either. Seems like it's just waiting to get clogged up with splitting debris. THe designs which have the moving part riding on the outside of an I beam don;t have that problem.

/ your thoughts on Conty Line 40 ton log splitter #5  
I have a Speeco 3 point splitter that has the wedge riding in internal guides like the Countryline the OP posted. I have never had any issue with clogging the guides. Each stroke simply clears anything as the wedge cycles. Plus the Countryline appears to have holes near the end of stroke to allow debris to fall out. The Speeco has an angle cut at the end of the guide rails at the end of stroke (extended).

It just works. And that little Speeco has split a lot of wood.

IMO, I get by fine with my 20 ton Speeco, so not sure the extra power is needed, but hey, if you can afford it....it is onlymoney

/ your thoughts on Conty Line 40 ton log splitter #6  
YTL International Recalls Log Splitters Due to Injury Hazard (Recall Alert) | CPSC.gov

Description:

This recall involves model year 2018 County Line brand 40 ton hydraulic log splitters with model number YTL-016-93. The log splitters are black and gray with Country Line printed on the hydraulic cylinder. Units with serial numbers ranging from SP20LSP400118060001 through SP20LSP400118060728 and SP20LSP400118080001 through SP20LSP400118080728 are included in this recall. The model and serial numbers can be found on a label located on the beam of each log splitter.

Remedy:

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled log splitters and contact YTL International for a free replacement tongue box assembly. YTL is contacting all known purchasers directly.

Incidents/Injuries:

YTL International has received three reports of the tongue box assembly’s welding cracking. No injuries have been reported.

Sold At:

Tractor Supply Company stores nationwide from August 2018 through October 2018 for about $2,000.

/ your thoughts on Conty Line 40 ton log splitter
thank you Diggin it am always impressed @ the experience/knowledge of members in this forum. i will look into that issue
happy holidays

/ your thoughts on Conty Line 40 ton log splitter #8  
Well - for 16+ years I split wood out here. All I've got is Ponderosa pine. I had a Didier 28 ton splitter. There were MANY times when splitting an old pine crotch - I wished for a more powerful splitter. MANY time I would bring that Didier to a dead stop.

I can REALLY see the need for more power when you are splitting the really tough woods - oaks, hickory, locust etc, etc.

AND - I only ever had a single vertical blade on the 'ol Didier - none of this four way stuff. Besides how are you ever going to use a 4-way on a chunk that's 28" to 38" in diameter.

Pine is a soft wood but can easily become a real bugger to split.

Now if you are looking for easy splitting wood - - Tamarack. Sometimes you can split that stuff with just an evil look.........

/ your thoughts on Conty Line 40 ton log splitter #9  
... Besides how are you ever going to use a 4-way on a chunk that's 28" to 38" in diameter.

I've used my 4-way wedge on logs of that size: My wedge height is not adjustable, so I just run it through, splitting off the bottom section into 4 pieces, then pull the large top chunk back again (which has sometimes been split in two, if the vertical crack stretched high enough). However, I find it's easier to handle if I use the single wedge to quarter it first.

My current splitter is a horizontal one, with a hydraulic log lift. Prior to that I owned a horizontal/vertical splitter. I do mostly hardwoods (and heavy ones at that). The heaviest log I've tackled with my current splitter using the method above (quartering with single wedge, then using 4-way to do multiple re-splits to final size) was 24" diameter by 16" long Red Oak. At over 265#, that was bigger than I generally wanted to mess with. (I've done larger diameters of lighter species.) I do a few of them, but these days, I don't bother with stuff like that for firewood. You get a lot of wood, but it's more trouble than it's worth. I've got plenty of wood on my property, so logs like that either get used for sawlogs, if they are good enough, or left to rot if not.

I came to the same conclusion when splitting using my old splitter in vertical mode: as long as I've got easier stuff readily available, why mess with it? Large woody debris on the forest floor is great habitat for all sorts of wildlife.

/ your thoughts on Conty Line 40 ton log splitter #10  
I just can't see the point of these 30-40 ton splitters. Without a 4 way wedge, there is just no need for that kind of power.

I'm not really a fan of having the moving wedge ride inside a track either. Seems like it's just waiting to get clogged up with splitting debris. THe designs which have the moving part riding on the outside of an I beam don;t have that problem.

I agree. You might have to throw away a few really nasty pieces with the little splitter, but it’s worth it because they cycle faster.