Yanmar 1700 smoking and loss of power

/ Yanmar 1700 smoking and loss of power #1  

Anthony2010

Tractor
joeanthony2010
I've been trying for days to find out why my Yanmar smokes and loses power. I was watching some videos on YouTube and I noticed that they ran their tractor with the fuel filter key facing down but on my same model if I put the key down where the "O" for Open is, fuel does not come out but I do turn it and I pin it up then fuel comes out.I understand that the system works by gravity and not by suction, right? So why do they use the key below to run? As it is in the photo I use it to close the flow and if I turn it all the way up then fuel comes out. Another thing, why is the return line that goes from the injectors to the fuel tank always dry? I found mine broken but it doesn't leak, fuel is dry, could that affect something, would it have something to do with the failure?

Attachments

• 20230306_211447.jpg
    20230306_211447.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 61
  • 20230306_203510.jpg
    20230306_203510.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
   / Yanmar 1700 smoking and loss of power #2  
How long had you had it? Could a prior owner have messed with the fuel system?

The return line could have burst, if it was blocked somewhere before the fuel tank. Is the opening into the tank clear?

/ Yanmar 1700 smoking and loss of power #3  
The small line is for injector leak off. I do not see it being connected to your smoking and loosing power.

What color is your smoke? Black smoke is unburned fuel.

/ Yanmar 1700 smoking and loss of power #4  
Not to nitpick, but in the interests of troubleshooting, I would phrase white smoke as uncombusted / unburnt fuel, and black smoke as too rich/ over fueled. (Which is, you are right, unburnt, but from a different cause.) I also agree that a dry leakage line has nothing to do with @Anthony2010's issue.

All the best,

Peter

/ Yanmar 1700 smoking and loss of power
How long had you had it? Could a prior owner have messed with the fuel system?

The return line could have burst, if it was blocked somewhere before the fuel tank. Is the opening into the tank clear?
We bought it few month ago . The fuel tank was block with something looking like pancake syrup also de rack on the fuel pump was stuck . I saw that one of the lines was dry , i proceeded to clean the fuel tank so fuel could flow normal and I pulled out the fuel pump and got it working . Before i found all this problems i noticed that the tractor was at the same rpms no matter if you move the stick back or forward and wasn't shutting off neither and after having it running for few minutes the tractor just dies . Was weak like if was working barely with one cylinder. I found those problems and fixed it but now smokes none stop more than before . Like if now borh cylinders are working or either more gas are running through the lines. I assume that the previous owner might messed with the fuel system but i dont see nothing weird except for the fuel filter , i posted a picture about it .

The small line is for injector leak off. I do not see it being connected to your smoking and loosing power.

What color is your smoke? Black smoke is unburned fuel.
The smoke looks a little bit gray but not completely black except when i turn off the tractor that some black smoke came be seen

What happen if the injector spring get weaker and the injector spit out fuel at lower pressure? Another thing coulb be one cylinder low on compression and that is why it can't burn the fuel?

/ Yanmar 1700 smoking and loss of power #8  
Have you had the injector pump apart?

/ Yanmar 1700 smoking and loss of power #9  
Ever bother to check the air filter for restriction? Could be a number of things. Start with the easiest stuff first. A dirty air filter will cause your issues.

/ Yanmar 1700 smoking and loss of power #10  
If you move the throttle lever and the arm at the injector pump is moving and nothing changes while moving, same RPM , I say you have an injector pump issue.