Woodland Mills WC68 vs WC88?

/ Woodland Mills WC68 vs WC88? #1  

ScipioUSA

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 20 Industrial, Ghosts of Farmalls Past
Question for anyone that has used either or both of these 3PH wood chippers.

Trying to decide between the two for use on a Massey 135, so in the sweet spot on the WC68 vs low end of the WC88. From combing through the specs, there are a few key differences that I am curious about .

- Flywheel: WC68 is 34" thick, WC88 is 1". Im thinking more weight = more inertia, so thats good.
- Flywheel Speed: WC68 direct drive off PTO @ 540 RPM, WC88 belt driven up to 1100 RPM.
- Knife Size: This is the one that stood out to me. The WC68 uses 4 knives spaced 90 degrees apart on the flywheel that are "full height", or they span most of the opening from the feed chute. The WC88 uses 4 knives also at 90 degrees, but they are half height, and are staggered, where one is on the outside edge of the flywheel, while one is closer to the center.

The knife thing makes me wonder if that would cause an issue where material might get fed before its able to be cut if it hits the "blank" spot, but then again the flywheel is spinning twice as fast so has the same amount of chances to take a bite assuming the feed rates are the same between the two machines.

I was leaning towards the larger machine for the bigger feed opening, and thinking the belt drive would help keep some shock load off of the tractors driveline a bit.

Any thoughts?

/ Woodland Mills WC68 vs WC88? #2  
I cant speak to Woodland Mills but I was wondering similar things on the purchase of my new chipper. I couldnt decide between the 6 or 8 inch Woodland Mills and the WoodMaxx. I ended up getting the Woodmaxx MX8800 and I run it behind my 40hp Kioti CK4010SE. Very glad I went with the 8 inch for the bigger feed opening. I saves time and many things I can just feed in without any trimming or worry.

As far as power, my 40hp Kioti has not dropped any rpm even on big full sized pieces hardwood or soft. I have been very surprised by that and very happy I decided to go with the 8 inch chipper.

/ Woodland Mills WC68 vs WC88?
I cant speak to Woodland Mills but I was wondering similar things on the purchase of my new chipper. I couldnt decide between the 6 or 8 inch Woodland Mills and the WoodMaxx. I ended up getting the Woodmaxx MX8800 and I run it behind my 40hp Kioti CK4010SE. Very glad I went with the 8 inch for the bigger feed opening. I saves time and many things I can just feed in without any trimming or worry.

As far as power, my 40hp Kioti has not dropped any rpm even on big full sized pieces hardwood or soft. I have been very surprised by that and very happy I decided to go with the 8 inch chipper.
Thanks for the response. I know a lot of how much you can chip has to deal with the feed speed selected, but makes me appreciate having the extra width of the opening when dealing with awkward brush. Honeysuckle will be a big part of what Im trying to get rid of, and that stuff always seems to have oddball angles on it. That and box elder....

/ Woodland Mills WC68 vs WC88? #4  
The 2:1 belt drive doubles the inertia in the flywheel. Since the flywheel is turning twice as fast it only needs half the blades to handle the same material feed speed.

My Woodmaxx 8H has a 220lb flywheel running at 1100 rpm and just two blades on the flywheel. The chip size is fairly small which is good on machines with less power than a big dedicated pro chipper.

/ Woodland Mills WC68 vs WC88? #5  
I have the wc68. It doesn't throw the chips out very far so the dump cart has to be right beside the chipper. I think the wc88 would throw them much further.

The 88 infeed table is offset a little and I think that angle would be beneficial when hooking up and pulling a dump cart and chipping into it.

/ Woodland Mills WC68 vs WC88? #6  
I've only had Wallenstein. 4" BX42S and now 6" BX62S. There are definite advantages with the larger BX62S. Larger opening into the chipping chamber = very few limbs need to be pruned - heavier flywheel = more inertia - higher airflow = no chute plugging & chips get thrown further away. I identify, fell, drag to pile, chip - thinning my pine stands every other year. 800 to 1200 small pines during a chipping session.

Normally I chip small ( 1" to 6" on the butt ) pine trees. They are very soft and chip easily. Once I chipped old, weather hardened apple trees. It did the job but had to work when the trunk/limb size was 6".

I run the BX62S with my Kubota M6040 - 64 engine hp.

/ Woodland Mills WC68 vs WC88? #7  
I have the 68. I'd go for the bigger opening. Branches only bend so far and I've had to stop and pull stuff out of the chipper and prune branches to get them to feed. Also have had the blower chute plug and had to stop and clean that out. Of course, I try to do the minimal prep work prior to chipping.

/ Woodland Mills WC68 vs WC88? #8  
I have the WM-68 as well and it's done everything I've asked. I chip mostly Mesquite, one of the hardest woods known to man, and I know going in the branches need to be singular. And I never had the chute clog but then, I've never tried to chip wet wood. I don't do logs over about 3-4" because I can sell those. Mesquite is very desirable around here for cooking and floors. It's a higher profit than hay! ;)

/ Woodland Mills WC68 vs WC88? #9  
Check out this really MONSTER chipper. And it's rated for 35hp tractors and up.

www.salsco.com Check out their 810PTO

/ Woodland Mills WC68 vs WC88? #10  
Check out this really MONSTER chipper. And it's rated for 35hp tractors and up.

www.salsco.com Check out their 810PTO
Any idea on price? It does look like a good chipper. I tried looking for the price on that, only thing I found was a used 2008 model for sale for $18,000. Not sure how much that is new.