Why we need a better three point hitch mounted single stage snow thrower.

/ Why we need a better three point hitch mounted single stage snow thrower. #1  

leonz

Tractor
JD LA115, WH 244, Troy Built Horse 8 HP
The market needs a new single stage snow thrower with either a smaller outside diameter snow thrower rotor
or a snow thrower rotor with 3" tall flighting around a larger diameter tube weldment with 15 degree auger flights
and 6 center paddles spaced 60 degrees apart.

The snow blower rotor could spin up to 900 revolutions per minute with the correct sprockets and a speed increaser
with enough torque operate at a very high output per hour as the larger diameter snow blower rotor tube will
encounter less resistance in snow loading as it advances into the snowpack to clear it.

The new snow blower should have 2 row 80H roller chain and sprockets to provide the desired torque for the
snow thrower to cast snow at a greater distance.

Why the 2 row 80H roller chain and sprockets?

The 2 row 80H roller chain and sprockets will provide the desired torque to spin the snow thrower rotor at a
high speed to clear snowpack.

The 2 row 80H roller chain and the 2 row 80H sprockets are heavier and will withstand greater shock loading
from clearing snowpack.

The 540 RPM right angle gear box, 1 to 1.6 speed increaser, cross shaft and flange roller bearing supporting
the cross shaft are simple off the shelf parts.

The 1 to 1.6 speed increaser would be mounted to the snow thrower lifting frame as it would be mounted on a
vertical steel plate welded to the lifting frame of the 3 point hitch to the left of the right angle gearbox.

The snow blower rotor could be equipped with 2 sets of casting paddles and 2 simple plate steel chutes to
increase its casting capacity per minute.

The chute or chutes would be mounted on a slick sheet material to allow the chute or chutes to spin effortlessly
with a manual rotator or a double acting hydraulic cylinder bolted to a weldment on the snow throwers curved shell
The chute or chutes would have slick sheet material bolted to the chute or chutes with grain elevator bolts flat washers
and nylock nuts.

The length of the single or dual linkages that rotate the chute or chutes would have to be decided when the
design is finalized as the user would want 180 degrees of chute rotation to discharge the snow left or right
and it would require an arc of throw to spin the chute or chutes left or right with the cylinder rod extended
for discharge to the right of center or retracted for discharge to the left of center.

Thoughts on a lousy looking day.

/ Why we need a better three point hitch mounted single stage snow thrower. #2  
Guess I am still trying to figure out if single stage is sooooo much better that two, why isn't everyone building single stage?

/ Why we need a better three point hitch mounted single stage snow thrower. #3  
Seems like from the pics I've seen, the major European blowers are single stage. Look like airport equipment. Sure move a lotta snow.

/ Why we need a better three point hitch mounted single stage snow thrower. #4  
Non issue here. I pay a contractor to plow the drives. Lots cheaper.

/ Why we need a better three point hitch mounted single stage snow thrower. #5  
Here is another single stage design. I little large for SCUT though. They are snow thrown machines though.

848c-front-min.jpg

/ Why we need a better three point hitch mounted single stage snow thrower.
Guess I am still trying to figure out if single stage is sooooo much better that two, why isn't everyone building single stage?

When the lawn mower mafia switched to making less expensive lawn mowers to make
more money with the vertical crank gas engines using long v belt drives they economized
and started buying 2 stage snow blowers from east canuckistan.
=======================================================

Single stage snow blowers with the solid snow blower auger rotor require thicker steel
and more of it to make them and a heavier welded frame to carry them.

The single stage snow thrower ribbon has a solid full length weld from one end of the
auger flighting to the other that creates the main part of the snow thrower rotor.

After the end discs with the stub shafts are welded to the tube the snow blower rotor
is balanced on a high speed balancer to prevent an unbalanced rotor and the resulting
vibration.

In short they do not wish to spend the money on a well designed forever snow thrower
like the old single stages mounted on lawn tractors from the 1960's to the late 1980's that
will barely cost any money to own and operate over 20+ years that will fit on every mule.

I passed on buying a simplicity galaxy with a single stage snow blower and tractor because
the single stage snow blower was poorly designed with stamped steel flights nothing like the
1972 simplicities we had with a solid single stage snow thrower rotor.

Last edited:
Find below what Reist Industries used to make and mk martin changed their proven designs and well...........................

The image on the left is the Reist Industries 1000 series and the image on the right is the Reist Industries 3000 series. they were designed with utility in mind and by switching out a few parts removing the 3 point hitch plate and adding back an SSQA mounting plate the 1000 and 2000 could be driven by hydraulic motors through the right angle gear box.

Attachments

• Reist 1000 series.jpg
    Reist 1000 series.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 125
  • Reist Rear Mount Series 3000 snow thrower.jpg
    Reist Rear Mount Series 3000 snow thrower.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 123
   / Why we need a better three point hitch mounted single stage snow thrower. #8  
I don’t think I have ever seen a single stage blower like those Reist units.

I have uploaded 2012 the Reist Series 1000 Snow Thrower owners manual/parts list here.

They sure as heck need to make them like this again.

Attachments

• 1000 Series Snow Blower manual May 2012(1).pdf
    734.2 KB · Views: 107
I keep hoping that mk martin will use the original Reist single stage snow thrower designs, but I don't think that will happen.
if they used the Reist designs I would think that they would sell more of them as the smaller diameter snow blower
would reduce the purchase cost.

In my opinion; the 54 and 60 inch motorized mk martin meteor models are under powered as the snow blower rotor is much
too large and the honda gx390 engine is too small.

If the original Reist Series 1000 snow blower rotor was used in the design it would have plenty of torque and a very high
rotation speed increasing the casting distance at 750-900 RPM.

The opinions expressed by me in the above statements are mine and mine alone.