Which Head Gasket Briggs 12000 series?

/ Which Head Gasket Briggs 12000 series? #1  

wolfden793

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere LX 266, John Deere Gator TX, Kubota B7500, Takeuchi TB016
Hi All,

I'm rebuilding a Briggs 12S907 1411 B1 OHV 8HP engine and bought a complete Briggs OEM gasket set. I'm putting the head back on and there are two different head gaskets in the package. The original one went out in the trash awhile back, so I don't have it for comparison. One has what appears to be a chrome ring in the center and the other does not. Both fit, but the chrome ring gasket is slightly longer and the center of the hole is a bit larger in diameter than the other. All mounting holes line up. I just don't want to put it all back together with the wrong gasket! Any one know the correct one? Thanks in advance.

/ Which Head Gasket Briggs 12000 series? #2  
The none fire rings gasket should be the correct one. Briggs sometimes will put more than one head gasket in a kit to fit more than one engine model.

Appears that the kit includes the head gasket for the 14xxxx series engine also, which is most likely the fire ring head gasket.

/ Which Head Gasket Briggs 12000 series?
Hi Randy,

Thanks very much for the information. I understand they want to cover several models, but it adds an unnecessary cost to the kit. Oh, well. Again, my thanks

Hi Randy,

Thanks very much for the information. Makes sense; I've had kits like that before with several of the same type gaskets for different models. Much appreciated!

Jim

/ Which Head Gasket Briggs 12000 series? #4  
I am seeing more and more were the engine manufacturers are only offering gaskets as a complete engine gasket set. Need the air cleaner gasket. complete kit. need the crankshaft seal requires complete engine rebuild gasket set.

I am seeing more and more were the engine manufacturers are only offering gaskets as a complete engine gasket set. Need the air cleaner gasket. complete kit. need the crankshaft seal requires complete engine rebuild gasket set.

I agree. I have several good sources online with Ebay that I often buy whatever individual gaskets, rings, whatever so that I can avoid entire kits. Many buy complete dealers' closeout inventories and have NOS parts to offer.

/ Which Head Gasket Briggs 12000 series? #7  
I understand they want to cover several models, but it adds an unnecessary cost to the kit. Oh, well. Again, my thanks
It's only extra cost to you. For the manufacturer and dealers, it's savings since they can produce/handle less stock.

Many buy complete dealers' closeout inventories and have NOS parts to offer.
I've got a shed full of NOS parts I picked up at an auction about 6 years ago. I still haven't inventoried all of it yet. :rolleyes: