Where Do You Get Your Points and Condensers From?

/ Where Do You Get Your Points and Condensers From? #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
The quality seems to be hit or miss these days. Steiner has a good quality starter switch, just wondering where the masses shop?

/ Where Do You Get Your Points and Condensers From? #2  
I'd be seeking Blue Streak or Echlin. But any are a crapshoot. The best condensers are the ones still working in distributors or ones in a drawer that were taken out of service "because". When I was still wrenching on tractors I got in the habit of NOT changing condensers in running engines.

/ Where Do You Get Your Points and Condensers From?
My super c still has an IH cap, rotor and condenser in it. I rue the day they d

/ Where Do You Get Your Points and Condensers From? #4  
I'd replace with electronic. Did it on our 1969 Alfa. Otherwise, it burnt points in a couple thousand miles because the contacts would never line up. Put in a Hall system back then.

/ Where Do You Get Your Points and Condensers From? #5  
X2 on replacing with electronic, a good choice is Pertronix.

/ Where Do You Get Your Points and Condensers From? #6  
An EI conversion of a 6 volt system is less than ideal. It can be difficult to maintain sufficient voltage while cranking for the EI unit to function. I used to discourage sales of 6V EI units in favor of an EI install combined with a 12V conversion. That gets spendy and if the cost isn't acceptable then I'd recommend sticking with points.

/ Where Do You Get Your Points and Condensers From?
I'd replace with electronic. Did it on our 1969 Alfa. Otherwise, it burnt points in a couple thousand miles because the contacts would never line up. Put in a Hall system back then.
Never in my lifetime. Im not a fan of them.

/ Where Do You Get Your Points and Condensers From? #10  
Never in my lifetime. Im not a fan of them.
When I put the Hall system on the Alfa, it would idle smoothly at about 600 rpm every time. And, after a couple thousand miles, it would start missing at upper rpms.

Points and condenser are REALLY OLD technology.