What part of the hydraulic system is this?

/ What part of the hydraulic system is this? #1  
Tractor
Branson 5520
Hello all,

I was clearing a bunch of small trees and saplings on our mountain farm with my 5520H for some chicken pasture and my tractor managed to find an old stump hiding in a leaf pile.

The stump bent/dented the pictured hose and pulled it off of what looks like the outlet from a filter. I'm assuming it's the hydraulic fluid filter? Does anyone know the technical part name for the hose, the part with the nipple and the hose diameter? If there's a link to a parts diagram handy I can look at it myself too, I just haven't been able to find one online and my operator's manual (which I've found since last time) doesn't have a parts diagram for hydraulics system.

I think all I need to do is:
1. Grease the inside of the hose and the nipple
2. Fight the pipe and slide it back onto nipple
3. Tighten up hose clamps
4. Refill hydraulic fluid
5. Limp the tractor up the hill
Thoughts? Never worked on a diesel, nor hydraulic system before, only gassers, but I'm pretty certain that's a hydraulic filter and it just needs to be reconnected them refilled.

Thank ya!

Attachments

• PXL_20221218_004425684.jpg
    PXL_20221218_004425684.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 208
  • parts.PNG
    parts.PNG
    876.5 KB · Views: 203
   / What part of the hydraulic system is this? #2  
That should be the suction line for the hydraulic pump I believe. Take extreme care cleaning the inside of the hose and nipple on the filter housing. Then loosen the clamp and slide hose back on. Then tighten the clamp and refill hydraulic fluid. You should be ok if the hose not damaged.

/ What part of the hydraulic system is this?
Thanks K5!

Looking at my manual, I'm supposed to use Texaco TDH Oil 1893 to refill. I live in the middle of nowhere and don't see that stocked anywhere, nor do I see Mobil 424 which other posts on here said they've used.

I have the following 2 fluids available:
Traveller Brand

I have this Shell fluid available too:

Will either of these work?

Last edited:
   / What part of the hydraulic system is this? #4  
K5 nailed it.

I had nearly the same thing happening to me but got lucky as the rubber hose didn't come off entirely. It was very very close to dump all the fluid on the ground. I still had to drain the system, pull the steel pipe out to get it back to proper shape as it tried to kink hard on one of the curves. Good thing this also happened at the same time I had to change the hydraulic filter.

/ What part of the hydraulic system is this? #5  
Thanks K5!

Looking at my manual, I'm supposed to use Texaco TDH Oil 1893 to refill. I live in the middle of nowhere and don't see that stocked anywhere, nor do I see Mobil 424 which other posts on here said they've used.

I have the following 2 fluids available:
Traveller Brand

I have this Shell fluid available too:

Will either of these work?
You are welcome. I prefer the Mobil 424 myself but either of those will get you by.

/ What part of the hydraulic system is this? #6  
Old time mountain farmer, I may be incorrect, but I would be careful using that one in the first link. Seems I read something about people having issues with it, as it didn't reach certain manufacturer specs. Be sure before you try it, as there are not any cheap hydraulic parts that I have found on a tractor!
David from jax

Old time mountain farmer, I may be incorrect, but I would be careful using that one in the first link. Seems I read something about people having issues with it, as it didn't reach certain manufacturer specs. Be sure before you try it, as there are not any cheap hydraulic parts that I have found on a tractor!
David from jax
Thanks sandman, if they both work I'll go for the more expensive, and probably higher quality Shell then. Appreciate it y'all. Will post back when the repair is done.

Well, I tried to bend that steel pipe back onto the nipple, but I can't move it anywhere near the degree to which it needs to be moved. The pipe is too bent/crushed out of shape, so it looks like I need to replace the entire pipe.

To remove the pipe I need to disconnect the other end. I've attached pictures of the other end of the pipe. I *think* the hose bracket circled in blue is welded to the pipe itself and then bolted to the frame. The problem I'm running into is I can't get a socket and ratchet/breaker bar in that small red space between the 19mm bolt and frame to loosen the bolt and free everything.

Probably going to need to get a set of offset wrenches to fit in there.

Attachments

• PXL_20221218_194700761.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221218_194700761.MP.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 115
  • problematic_bolt.PNG
    problematic_bolt.PNG
    915.6 KB · Views: 123
   / What part of the hydraulic system is this? #10  
Well, I tried to bend that steel pipe back onto the nipple, but I can't move it anywhere near the degree to which it needs to be moved. The pipe is too bent/crushed out of shape, so it looks like I need to replace the entire pipe.

To remove the pipe I need to disconnect the other end. I've attached pictures of the other end of the pipe. I *think* the hose bracket circled in blue is welded to the pipe itself and then bolted to the frame. The problem I'm running into is I can't get a socket and ratchet/breaker bar in that small red space between the 19mm bolt and frame to loosen the bolt and free everything.

Probably going to need to get a set of offset wrenches to fit in there.
Those bolts may be pretty tight. It may be easier to drop the loader and unbolt the frame to lower it so you can get a good socket on it.

If the pipe looks to be ok with no holes and is not more in danger of being snagged, I might would be tempted to get a longer hose to reconnect to the filter housing. Just a thought.