What do you consider 'high' hours on Toolcats and what to look for on higher hour machines

/ What do you consider 'high' hours on Toolcats and what to look for on higher hour machines #1  

tommott77

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1430 Deutz, Kubota bx1880, CAT 301.7D mini ex
Hi all, wondering what everybody considers 'high/low/average' hours on Toolcats. I am considering a 2012 machine with 2600 hours. I wouldn't consider that high hours but was hoping to try to stay under 2000 hours which I would equate to more of a low machine. With the myriad of uses and work that these machines are used for hours seem to be all over the map. Still see a lot of older machines under 2000 hours.

What are the main things to look for on the higher hour machines? I guess best I can tell the engine and the drive motors are the main big ticket items that can kill you on a used machine. I've seen several 2006 and older machines with new drive motors so I'm thinking that they're typically the fist big ticket item that can wear out on these machines due to age, hours, etc.

/ What do you consider 'high' hours on Toolcats and what to look for on higher hour machines #2  
older machines had a drive motor issue, my 2005 had them replaced under warranty prior to me purchasing it 2014, it had 4000 plus hours

/ What do you consider 'high' hours on Toolcats and what to look for on higher hour machines
older machines had a drive motor issue, my 2005 had them replaced under warranty prior to me purchasing it 2014, it had 4000 plus hours
So I finally found a machine.....albeit on the opposite end of the spectrum with only 800 hours. From what I've read most if not all early Toolcats experienced the drive motor issue and most machines should've experienced the failure and/or had the drive motors repaired by now. The super low hours could kind of be working against this machine in this regard however if it hasn't experienced a failure as of yet.

Does Bobcat keep records of machines for warranty and/or service work? Wondering if I would call Bobcat with the serial number if they'd have any records of having them done.

/ What do you consider 'high' hours on Toolcats and what to look for on higher hour machines #4  
My dealer was able to check and see if any work was done on my Toolcat under warranty.

/ What do you consider 'high' hours on Toolcats and what to look for on higher hour machines
   / What do you consider 'high' hours on Toolcats and what to look for on higher hour machines #6  
So I finally found a machine.....albeit on the opposite end of the spectrum with only 800 hours.
What Series is it?

Toolcat History npartist.png

Last edited:
   / What do you consider 'high' hours on Toolcats and what to look for on higher hour machines #8  
There might be a Toolcat in my future.... I've been sort of looking for awhile now. I prefer older & lightly used.
What model was it when the drive motor problem was fixed?.. or how can I tell if the motors have been replaced when looking at an older one?
rScotty

There might be a Toolcat in my future.... I've been sort of looking for awhile now. I prefer older & lightly used.
What model was it when the drive motor problem was fixed?.. or how can I tell if the motors have been replaced when looking at an older one?
rScotty
Someone please correct me if i’m wrong but i believe it was the early machines (through 2006) with the live axles that had the drive motor issue and was corrected on 2007 models with the new independent suspension??? I know at the very least the part numbers on the drove motors changed at that point.

I am curious though if that’s correct if the replacement drive motors that the factory replaced under warranty were different part numbers? From what i can tell it appears that most machines have not had the issue reoccur after having them initially replaced.

I was looking for a very specific machine. I wanted the early machines with the live axles as I know I’d need the locking rear diff to consistently and reliably get up and down our mountain after a previous bed experience with a power trac tractor which only had lsd like the 2007-2013 toolcats. Wanted the additional roll back force of the updated boom, and preferred the extra power of the turbo to get up the mountain quicker. So that’s literally only a 2006 machine and then crossing my fingers for a turbo. I was pretty lucky to find one with 800 hours without searching for years.