What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284.

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #1  
Tractor
Cub Cadet #6284 Compact Tractor and John Deere Z710A. Z710A
I'm getting a 2005 CC 6284 with 670 hours and in very good condition....everything works and been service at normal times. I'm paying $4,700.00 and after reading many, many forums reports, there's no parts to be found other than hydraulic fluids and ignitions parts. Caterpillar ..the Perkins engine is no longer is use and parts are rare there. The 6284 has a Model 812 loaded and a 54" mower deck, and the owners says they all work just fine. It will be used to mow about 3 acres at the rear of my 20 acre property, and the loader to mover some dirt time to time, not a 24/7 work load it will be doing. So, is this worth my money, or leave it be and move on to another brand? I've been reading various forums. parts are hard to find, and if you find one, very expensive.

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #2  
I would walk away from something there are no parts for. No matter how sweet the deal is.

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #3  
Caterpillar parts can normally be had but are VERY expensive. I don't know about the rest of the tractor. Of course the owner would say everything works fine - he wants to sell the tractor. The number of hours is good as is the price. You must decide how much you'd pay for a yard ornament - which is what this tractor becomes if ANYTHING breaks. I've been that route - trying to source parts for an oddball tractor. The tractor itself was good but I worried too much. I sold it. If you only plan to use it as a lawn mower for three acres you could investigate a smaller tractor with a loader.

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284.
I appreciate the comments here. I'm from the old school... "what man put together, man can take apart". I know from facts, that Mahindra bought the tooling and all the engineering deigns from MTD, and as of July 15, 2020 they will be shipping the "most wanted" PTO Clutch assembly to former Cub Cadet dealer and others at a small fee of $633.00 plus shipping. Also, the Mahindra small compact hydrostatic trans. will bolt right up to the older 2005-2015 #6000 and 7000 series. So, it may seem disappointing to those former Cub Cadet owners and those that stuill have the tractors that help is on the way.

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #5  
This is not the tractor you are looking for. Move along!

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #7  
Thats stealing it price.

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #8  
Decent Machine, and as long as you know what you are getting into which it seems that you do, I would say its a good value at that price point.

You can't get much of a tractor in this size for the same money - even a garden tractor (JD 3 or 4 series) today is more than this

You can us this for many hours with no issues, and if you do have a repair needed it may cost you $ and time to source parts and repair .

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284.
For the price, it came with a few issues in the mechanical department. I had to replace the muffler at a modest cost of $303.00 all due to the previous owner let the 3 cyl. Perkins (Cat.) engine to idle at 700 rpms instead of 1200 rpms as recommended, and with that low idle it viberated so badly that it destroyed the motor mounts. Those motor mounts where $22.75 ea. Had to replace two U-joints on the drive shaft from the transmission to the mower deck. Cost: $19.99 for both. Replaced all three deck idler pulleys on the mower deck, plus a new mower belt. Cost: $87.00. Total: As of now. $500.99

Failed to add. I also replace the Isolators in the main drive shaft as the picture shows.
Here is the Yellow Bird as she now runs.

g034rXx.jpg

lA2iIhh.jpg

ejoaAE5.jpg

mrWHc9Z.jpg

/ What Am I Getting Into?.....buying a 2005 Cub Cadet Model 6284. #10  
That is a really nice machine. I shud have told you i have a brand new muffler sitting in my attic.....
Awesome deal!