Well, that was easy.

/ Well, that was easy. #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
I decided to change the fuel filter on my Yanmar YM2310 for the first time since I bought it. The tractor has the push button bleeders. So, after cleaning out the filter bowl, which had hardly any crud in it, the new filter went in, and the fuel bowl was filled by turning on the fuel petcock. Then the fuel bowl retaining ring was tightened and the two bleeding buttons were pressed in succession until no air bubbles were seen. The tractor started right up. And kept running. I love it when stuff works out like that. This Yanmar is my first diesel, I love it and I have been busy learning how they work, what to do and what not to do. Part of the reason I have such affection for this tractor is because it is generally such a good machine and seems to have been designed to be worked on by anybody.
Eric

/ Well, that was easy. #2  
Here's hoping you have many more years of trouble-free service.

/ Well, that was easy. #3  
Its the same principle older tractors used, except most of them had screws you would loosen, engage the starter, then tighten when air was gone. The push buttons sound pretty nice.

Last edited:
   / Well, that was easy.
Its the same principle older tractors except most of them had screws you would loosen, engage the starter, then tighten when air was gone. The push buttons sound pretty nice.
Yeah, the buttons are really nice. They are actually hex heads with a spring under the head. I guess the hex head is so the valve can be adjusted or repaired. The tractor is 42 or 43 years old so it is not exactly new. But then I also have a 1939 Ford 9N that's still in pretty good shape. It's twice as old as the Yanmar so I guess I have a newer and an older tractor.
Eric

/ Well, that was easy. #5  
Interesting that you have bleed buttons. My JD with Yanmar engine doesn't. When you change the fuel filter you just turn it back on and it starts. According to the owners manual, if you run out of fuel you don't have to bleed the system. You just fill the tank and start it. (I haven't had to check it.)

/ Well, that was easy.
Interesting that you have bleed buttons. My JD with Yanmar engine doesn't. When you change the fuel filter you just turn it back on and it starts. According to the owners manual, if you run out of fuel you don't have to bleed the system. You just fill the tank and start it. (I haven't had to check it.)
That's really cool. I was warned by many folks to not let the tractor run out of fuel because of the hassle of bleeding all the fuel lines, before and after the injector pump. How old is your JD with the Yanmar engine?
Eric

/ Well, that was easy. #7  
It's a 2010 model.

/ Well, that was easy. #8  
According to the owners manual, if you run out of fuel you don't have to bleed the system. You just fill the tank and start it. (I haven't had to check it.)
I have. Yes it works and very well too. It'll start and stop 3 - 4 times and then run like you haven't run out of fuel at all. 2004 model 4410. The F935 is quite a bit more hassle if you run out of fuel.

/ Well, that was easy. #9  
My last tractor was a JD. Yes they are self bleeding. Just unscrew the bowl, change filter, and you’re done. Pretty simple. I wish my new Kubota was self bleeding. But there are lots of thing I like better about the new machine.