Well, Now I did IT! Broke the front axle on the Hurlimann 435Prince. Looking for replacement.

/ Well, Now I did IT! Broke the front axle on the Hurlimann 435Prince. Looking for replacement. #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
Yup, digging stumps out from Vermont rotten ledge. Lots of big stone (4' x 2-1/2' x 1 foot) the bucket hung up under the hemlock stump while curling the bucket, and "SNAP", the left front dropped.

I had just put on the ballast weight this morning . I had been running the scoop bucket. The weight is heavy, and that must have been too much once the load transferred all to the front axle.

I need the repair part, axle center section. New or used.
D-F dealers here in New England have all vanished it seems. At least three of the "numbers" I have written in my service book are no longer any good.

I need to look through contacts on this forum. There have been some activity about the brand.

SAME Lamborghini, Hurlimann, and now D-F , All the same tractor. the front ends should be interchangeable.

Let me know if you have any source.

tia

Cal

/ Well, Now I did IT! Broke the front axle on the Hurlimann 435Prince. Looking for replacement. #2  
You learned the hard way that these tractors really don't like loaders. They usually start leaking on ever possible seal on the front axle before something major gives up.

When they put loaders on those tractors here in Europe, they usually have a separate relief valve on the lift circuit to reduce the lifting capacity to prevent from breaking stuff.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with parts over there. Over here, they are pretty much everywhere, although they do want some serious money parts.

Any chances of having it welded or something? I usually don't trust welded cast iron that much, at least to the point of keeping the loader on the tractor but could still be an option.

Good luck and keep us updated.

/ Well, Now I did IT! Broke the front axle on the Hurlimann 435Prince. Looking for replacement. #3  
Cal, D-F? Deutz Farr?
For a long time (years) when you referred to your "hurlimann", I thought that it was a nickname that you gave it from a Schwarzenegger movie :ROFLMAO:
Good luck with your search.

/ Well, Now I did IT! Broke the front axle on the Hurlimann 435Prince. Looking for replacement. #4  
I feel for you.
adding ballast can really get you in trouble. been there....done that (twice).

I broke a axle housing into several pieces. Had a professional weld shop specializing in cast iron do the repair. UPS'd the housing to them. It came back just like new off the shelf.
A lot of complaints on here about loaders not having enough lift. The answer isnt more pump output, bigger rams or more ballast. Its a bigger tractor built for the job. Replaced the tractor... The frontend in this one looks like a tank in comparison. Now if it wont do the job I really need to rethink it so nothing breaks.

/ Well, Now I did IT! Broke the front axle on the Hurlimann 435Prince. Looking for replacement.
Nice responses, thanks.

I had been warned that front axle supports were "common" on these tractors. I recall the exchange, and was hoping to see a picture of something that worked. I guess I just dropped the ball.

I won't be digging ledge with that ballast on anymore, but it sure came in handy for "three wheeling" back to the shop yard.(mixed blessing I suppose)

I've been calling around. Seems there are quite a number of "New" D-F dealers in the US of A. They all sound puzzled on tghe phone.
I did get a tentative price from Bannister Tractor. They will give me a call back on Monday. If the piece needs to come from Europe. It could be a while.

If you come across that iron welder contact info, I would be greatful

/ Well, Now I did IT! Broke the front axle on the Hurlimann 435Prince. Looking for replacement. #6  
sent you a PM

/ Well, Now I did IT! Broke the front axle on the Hurlimann 435Prince. Looking for replacement.
Well, I know, I should have taken pictures. But I didn't,

Here is the follow up.

The Hurlimann is back up and working fine. Today I am in the midst of changing engine oil/filter and the hydraulic transmission fluid and filter. It's been 10 years on the latter.

As to the front axle. A new one was purchased through D-F and arrived in a surprisingly short time considering it came from Europe!

BUT...

After I got the differential in and prepared to install the power steering cylinder, it was obvious that some changes had been made. (Continuous improvement I suppose.) The new axle has a 145 mm end to end dimension for the steering cylinder mount where as the original casting had a dimension of 130mm . Plus the new casting was counter-bored to achieve the overall length of 130 mm equal to the original casting that had no counter-bore.

I'm guessing the new and improved version has different cylinder end caps and /or sealing details. The dealer that had been helping me with my parts purchase admitted that he was beyond his depth and sort of quit offering to assist.

I sent a request for tech assistance off to D-F, but have not received a response.

I mulled over the options for some time, and then just committed myself to getting the thing FIXED.
I could go two ways. A longer steering cylinder, or modified cylinder end caps. The latter option was quite involved and would have meant "no returning".
Instead, I ordered out a couple of cylinder blanks from "Cylinder Repair Components" .
An online source. I had to order two cylinder blanks plus a bunch of o-rings, quad seals, and square rings. to make the $40 order minimum! (-: Fortunately, I keep a full machine shop and performing the modifications to the raw honed cylinder was not difficult. (O.D> and Length to .003")

Assembly seals were a bit "creative", but it all went together quite nicely.

When the failure occurred. the left steering inner tie rod was also damaged. A replacement was purchased ($400!)
There has been a change there as well. Though I was able to achieve a front toe in of about 3mm, the new replacement tie rod would be marginal for any additional extension. At present, the threads are engaged 6 full turns. adequate, but I would like more. I am thinking that the new axle casting also requires a steering cylinder rod the same 15 mm additional length. I will see when more information comes my way.

So now, The steering angle is fine. It may even be greater than before. I never looked into the stop settings. Now I have the stops set to limit the steering rod from bringing dirt in past the end cap dirt wipers. I also turned up some aluminum sleeves that fit INSIDE the cylinder to serve as positive travel stops to assure that debris does not pass these same wipers.

All seems happy! The reassembly was a challenge, as the day was extremely hot and humid. I dropped one of the outer knuckles into the dirt just as it was about to slip on to the drive spline! (Arrrgh!) But the bearing and gear are only a slide fit into the housing, so clean up was not difficult.

I used Loc-tite silicone gasket maker along with the original o-ring seals on the flanges, and all appears weep free.
The differential is quiet, and the differential lock (hydraulic actuation) appears to work as before.

All is well, and I hope not to spend so many sleepless nights thinking about details, as I have for the past month.

Hey, My wife was impressed that such a task could be done without "just ordering parts" ;-)

Additional update:

I moved about 80 bucket loads* (not that big of bucket on the Allied 195 loader) from "out back" to the slope mitigation project next to the house. About 400 feet each way. Lots of rotten ledge got broken up. lots of subsoil was moved for the required fill. Oh, And those two stumps? one moved to the burn pile, the other is still "King-o-the-hill". Hmmm The fill, 8 feet wide, 4. 5 feet deep, 25 feet long. filled width to the angle of repose. Compacted with the tractor as the fill progressed.

Pulled up some good sized stone. I've got a life time's supply of stacking stone now. (I've been considering a small out building... I guess I need to get my concrete mixer back from the fellow I loaned it to.

* I didn't really count, but sure left a heck of a well defined path through the woods and yard.

eta

Damn, that little Hurlimann is a handy sized tractor for the small land owner. A bigger rig would have been better for the getting, but not so good for the travel and placing. A tight squeeze next to the house and all.