Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results.

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #1  

KilroyJC

Elite Member
Tractor
1962 Case 430, 1995 Craftsman Yard Tractor/mower, 1949 South Bend 9A Lathe, WoodMizer Lx55 sawmill, Kubota KX033-4 Mini-Excavator
So, I tried water-glassing eggs for the first time, and decided to hard-boil a batch to pickle.

turns out that 10 weeks in line water is not NEARLY enough time - the water-glassing really does stop the aging process.

I boiled up 20, I could only pickle 15 because they peeled so ugly that five basically became a rough egg salad…

and not one of the remaining eggs peeled intact.

I guess I will have to set a batch of eggs to age on the table for about three weeks before I hard-boil them.

what I did notice is that the whites had a slightly sweet-ish taste from what they normally do, so I guess the lime water had that effect.

learning something new is fun.

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #2  
I can't help you with "water-glassing eggs" because I never heard of that. However if you want hard boiled eggs that virtually pop out of the shell, stop boiling them.
I have tried adding things to the water, and it did nothing to help them peel easier.

I tried an instant pot, and that works pretty good. Then I bought this little egg steamer off amazon, and it cooks the eggs perfect every time, and they peel with very little effort. You also use very little water, and can control the hardness of your egg. I will never go back to a pot of boiling water.

Dave

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #3  
Too bad i don't have my mom's old Norge cookbook. It went into some detail on preserving eggs. I remember something about using isinglass to preserve eggs, but that's about it. Sorry not much help.

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #4  
The best trick for being able to peal hard boiled eggs is to put them in the boiling water. The hot water cooks the membrane between shell and egg white. Filling the pot with water and eggs and then turning on the burner will make them hard to peal. Fresh eggs are also harder to peal.

Dave

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #5  
I work with chicken houses. Egg layer breeder houses. Putting the eggs into boiling water is good. I always buy dill pickles in a gallon jar. I eat the pickles and have 1/3 jar of pickle juice left. So I boil eggs and put them in pickle jar. Boil some half water, half vinegar and top jar off to cover eggs. Put onion, beets, peppers in there also. Beets add color.

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #6  
I'm curious on pickling eggs also. I have "pet" chickens. I call them pets since I'm the only one in my house that eats eggs and we get about 9 a day now... I bought a dozen pickled jalapeno eggs the other day. It took a few tries to determine if I liked them or not. I think I do, but they are a little sweeter than I was hoping for. I was hoping for a more "savory" flavor. That may not be possible, I know the acidic brine is going to have a lighter tangier flavor but I'm hoping for a recipe that will make them not quote so biting. I don't even know how to put into words what I mean. Starburst vs Chocolate maybe. Both candy, but starburst is more biting like the jalapeno eggs were.

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #7  
So, I tried water-glassing eggs for the first time, and decided to hard-boil a batch to pickle.

turns out that 10 weeks in line water is not NEARLY enough time - the water-glassing really does stop the aging process.

I boiled up 20, I could only pickle 15 because they peeled so ugly that five basically became a rough egg salad…

and not one of the remaining eggs peeled intact.

I guess I will have to set a batch of eggs to age on the table for about three weeks before I hard-boil them.

what I did notice is that the whites had a slightly sweet-ish taste from what they normally do, so I guess the lime water had that effect.

learning something new is fun.
BAKING SODA

Add baking soda to the water for making hard boiled eggs. It changes the pH levels to make the shells come off perfect each and every time.

For those 15 eggs in a pot, 1 teaspoon would work well.

No need to wait weeks. This works on freshly laid eggs that are 2-days or older.

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #8  
Late this past spring, early summer... Sweetie put up several 2 liter jars of water glass eggs.. This she learned how to do growing up on the coastal light house on an island.. Depending on weather they only got groceries delivered 3 never more than 4 times a year..

We haven't opened any yet, so will report when we do use them...

Note... I don't know if it makes a difference, but we keep a flock of barn yard chickens.. This as opposed to storing store eggs..

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #9  
I'm curious on pickling eggs also. I have "pet" chickens. I call them pets since I'm the only one in my house that eats eggs and we get about 9 a day now... I bought a dozen pickled jalapeno eggs the other day. It took a few tries to determine if I liked them or not. I think I do, but they are a little sweeter than I was hoping for. I was hoping for a more "savory" flavor. That may not be possible, I know the acidic brine is going to have a lighter tangier flavor but I'm hoping for a recipe that will make them not quote so biting. I don't even know how to put into words what I mean. Starburst vs Chocolate maybe. Both candy, but starburst is more biting like the jalapeno eggs were.
You might want to check my thread “Copycat pickled sausages”. The brine recipe make great pickled eggs too!

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results.
BAKING SODA

Add baking soda to the water for making hard boiled eggs. It changes the pH levels to make the shells come off perfect each and every time.

For those 15 eggs in a pot, 1 teaspoon would work well.

No need to wait weeks. This works on freshly laid eggs that are 2-days or older.
I will try that either later or tomorrow - I had always added acid (vinegar) to counteract the natural alkalinity of the eggshell (calcium carbonate). I will attempt a small batch or maybe 6.
thank you!