Vise (vice) on ballast/counterweight?

/ Vise (vice) on ballast/counterweight? #1  

kenlip

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100 with Challenge FEL and 4:1
I want to add a vise to the counterweight I built a few years ago.

I can't work out if it is best to have it on the right, left or in the middle.

I'll mount it with the fixed jaw a few mm (a-something of an inch :sneaky:) behind the rear face of the block.

Where would you mount it, and why there?

Thanks
Ken

IMG_0166.jpg

/ Vise (vice) on ballast/counterweight? #3  
Ditto on the receiver hitch, kept one in my work truck until I retired. it’s still in service on my nephews truck.

/ Vise (vice) on ballast/counterweight? #5  
If you were concerned about the stick out from the back when you're getting around, you could pin the receiver between the uprights for transport. Weld a couple tabs on or something. That's a little bit of ballast!

/ Vise (vice) on ballast/counterweight? #7  
HF just introduced a 'Doyle' receiver mount vise that looks pretty nice (in the pictures), check it out.

/ Vise (vice) on ballast/counterweight? #8  
HF just introduced a 'Doyle' receiver mount vise that looks pretty nice (in the pictures), check it out.

I'll be checking them out next time I swing by Harbor Freight, $99 for members is a pretty good price.

Unfortunately our friend here is in Australia, and I think that shipping might be tough to swallow. 🤣

/ Vise (vice) on ballast/counterweight?
Thanks, guys. Looks like it will a receiver hitch.

Ideas for reducing play between the tongue and the receiver? I was thinking a nut on the receiver and a bolt to put pressure on the tongue? ATM, I don't have welding facilities on the property, so I can't weld a nut onto the receiver. I might have to wait until I can weld on site.