Viet Nam Memorial

/ Viet Nam Memorial #11  
I turned 5 when my dad was over there. Tan Son Nhut. He is 91 now. He was a MSgt, USAF at the time.

I can remember seeing former POWs returning to Travis AFB when we were stationed there. Even as a 7 year old, I could see how emaciated the returning service members were.

/ Viet Nam Memorial #13  
Our, and New Zealand's, Viet Nam Veterans Day is the 18th of August, which is the anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan.

Lest we forget.
Dad worked with some of your countrymen. He has an Aussie military hat and sent me a set of 5 -yr- old- sized Aussie camo fatigues for my 5th birthday.

/ Viet Nam Memorial #14  
It's great to hear that March 25th has been dedicated as a Vietnam Memorial day. It's an important occasion to honor and remember those who served in the Vietnam War. The ceremonies held in various locations, including your local National Cemetery, will undoubtedly be meaningful and poignant.
By the way, if you're looking for high-quality headstones or monuments to commemorate the memory of loved ones, you can check out Oregon Headstone Maker. They offer a range of options to create personalized and lasting tributes.
Take part in the ceremony with pride and gratitude, and remember to show support for veterans and their families.

Last edited:
   / Viet Nam Memorial #15  
Interesting time line, I had never thought of it in that manner.
Time is the deciding factor in whether a trauma patient lives or dies. Most fire station are positioned to allow them to reach a location within their response district in a response time of 4 minutes or less. The nations firemen have saved a lot of lives.

/ Viet Nam Memorial #16  
Time is the deciding factor in whether a trauma patient lives or dies. Most fire station are positioned to allow them to reach a location within their response district in a response time of 4 minutes or less. The nations firemen have saved a lot of lives.

Very true about response time. But when they talk about "most" fire stations they are speaking of those in the city. Those of us who live away from the city have nowhere near that fast a response.

Most of my years as an EMT/Firefighter were in a small town in the middle of Nevada. Nearest emergency room was 80 miles away. 140 miles to the nearest trauma center. With critical patients we called a Life Flight helicopter, loaded the patient, and headed out. It was usually about an hour before we'd rendezvous with the helicopter, it headed our way and we headed in its direction. So the "Golden Hour" was always expired before the patient got to a doctor.

But because we were so remote we were trained to do procedures and administer meds most EMTs didn't do. What we did have was excellent communications with the ER - and a doctor talking to us the whole time, directing our work.

/ Viet Nam Memorial

I don't see that in any rural areas. Heck I'm only 3 miles from my local firehouse, if I'm outside with no engines running I hear the noon siren. But their response time will be several minutes or more at best. From when the call goes out and the volunteers get to the station and get the equipment rolling and respond it's going to likely be 15-20 minutes.
As far as my EMS they are about 9 miles away and the best response time from them will also be 10-15 minutes during the day, I've seen it take over a half hour at times, that is a mix of paid and volunteer staff. I have a scanner in my house and many times the responses are so slow that mutual aid goes out for the call after several minutes with no response from the local providers.

/ Viet Nam Memorial #18  
Just when I thought about retiring from the ES world I climb right back on the horse. Took a temporary job as a fire chief after the fire department and chief parted company. The department needed someone to "drive the desk" until a new chief can be found.
I continue into my 54th year in the fire EMS game. Once in your blood....

/ Viet Nam Memorial #19  
The history of "war" has taught mankind a lot about the human body/mind. My specialty was the procurement, processing and use of blood and blood products...along with being a medic.

I can thank the Vietnam vets for their service.......but ......being over 90 YO.....I have lost track of which war ....WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Afganastan on and on the Memorials go. Even now I can still hear my Dad talking about the Civil war and Bushwackers. Right near me is a Memorial to the Union soldiers that died in the Andersonville prison camp....of starvation and disease.

My thanksgiving is for all our ancestors that tried to make the world a better place.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Viet Nam Memorial #20  
The history of "war" has taught mankind a lot about the human body/mind. My specialty was the procurement, processing and use of blood and blood products...along with being a medic.

I can thank the Vietnam vets for their service.......but ......being over 90 YO.....I have lost track of which war ....WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Afganastan on and on the Memorials go. Even now I can still hear my Dad talking about the Civil war and Bushwackers. Right near me is a Memorial to the Union soldiers that died in the Andersonville prison camp....of starvation and disease.

My thanksgiving is for all our ancestors that tried to make the world a better place.

Cheers,
Mike
Some American Military Vets are not being treated well.