Ventrac 4500P Hydraulic Filter Wrench Size

/ Ventrac 4500P Hydraulic Filter Wrench Size #1  

Pacificoast

Tractor
Ventrac 4500P
My 100 hour maintenance schedule is coming up and I will be changing the two hydraulic filters out myself along with the rest of the 100 hour service. I've ordered the Ventrac filters from my dealer but the parts department couldn't tell me the filter wrench sizes I'll need. Does anyone here know what size filter wrench that I'll need? I bought a Lisle 57010 filter swivel wrench 2.375 - 2.625" (60.3 - 66.7mm) that works great for the oil filter. Will this fit the small hydraulic filter? What size would I need for the large hydraulic filter?

I watched the Ventrac hydraulic service video but while they tell you what tools you need including two filter wrenches, they don't tell you the wrench size requirements, nor does the owner manual.

Thanks,

Nick

/ Ventrac 4500P Hydraulic Filter Wrench Size #2  
A strap filter wrench works, or an oil filter wrench used on older cars..... jim

/ Ventrac 4500P Hydraulic Filter Wrench Size #3  
I had a hard time with the larger filter. The band on on my filter wrench would not slide past some of the framing. If you look closely at the wrench used in the Ventrac video, the band on the wrench used has a 'notch' in it allowing it to slide past the frame and around the filter.

I ended up using one of these.

Clipboard01.jpg

/ Ventrac 4500P Hydraulic Filter Wrench Size
Now that I have the new hydraulic filters in hand, I will answer my own question so that it may help someone else with the same question. The larger 25 micron hydraulic filter has a diameter of 3 5/8” and the smaller 10 micron hydraulic filter is 2 7/8”. Luckily I ordered the correct size strap wrench filters from Amazon beforehand. Disclaimer: I measured these diameters with a metal tape measure - not the most accurate way. Nick

/ Ventrac 4500P Hydraulic Filter Wrench Size
I finally got around to replacing my 4500P's hydraulic filters and had a further problem using my new oil filter wrench on the 25 micron hydraulic filter. To explain here's the email I just sent to Ventrac:

Hi there, I’m an owner of a 4500P KAWASAKI FD851D CAL

I recently watched your Hydraulic service video https://www.ventrac.com/video/playlist/PLU6reQZhgG6-SVUi5SIn5IjWQQ2YIbVZY/c3ZgPEo7hlE

When replacing the 25 Micron Hydraulic Filter my Oil Filter Swivel Wrench could not fit under and around the 25 Micron hydraulic filter as the gap between the frame and the filter was only about 1/2 an inch and my wrench band is 1 inch wide. I had to quickly go to a car parts store and purchase a non strap oil filter wrench to remove and install my new 25 Micron filter. However, in the process of installing the 25 micron hydraulic filter, I damaged the filter when trying to complete the final 3/4 turn as the non-strap wrench dug into the side of the filter as I tightened it.

So my question is what is the brand and model of the oil filter strap wrench did you use in the video for the 25 micron hydraulic filter as it seems that oil filter wrench has a strap around 1/2 inch and can fit between the filter and the frame without a problem? I’ve tried searching online for a similar strap wrench and they are all too wide being around 1 inch wide. If you could also point me to where I can purchase that 1/2 inch strap oil filter wrench (for the 25 micron filter), that would be very helpful too.

Also it would be very helpful to add a note or update the video to warn people about this issue and let them know the strap wrench needs to be 1/2 an inch wide (maybe let them know the brand/model of the wrench too).

Thanks for your help,

Nick

Ventrac replied back in two hours with this:

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for the feedback and concern. I will pass that along to those who make the videos. I appreciate your patience too, as I tracked down that answer for you. The wrenches are standard oil filter wrenches that we grind the band down so that it will clear the frame and oil filter. I’ve attached three pictures: the first being from the video and the latter two current pictures of one of our Service Technician’s wrenches that are ground down.

I hope this helps!

I've attached the photos Ventrac sent.

I'll now grind down the band on my wrench in a similar way. You live and learn!

Nick

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 120
  • pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    923.3 KB · Views: 110
   / Ventrac 4500P Hydraulic Filter Wrench Size #6  
Great post, thank-you. I struggled and struggled with that filter. I watched their video, and you are right, they left out the all important filter wrench modification.