Valve that detents only one direction

/ Valve that detents only one direction #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Not often I ask a hydraulic question...lol. But I am on a quest to find a valve that my not exist for a specific application.

Wanting to add a remote set to a tractor that already has a backhoe installed.

Like most backhoe aux kits.....there is only two hoses. One coming from the PB of the loader, and one going on to feed the 3PH. They get away without running a PB setup on a backhoe because you cant use the 3PH with the backhoe on....which is why most manuals state to leave the lever LOWERED to not blow the backhoe valve.

Anyway....wanting to minimize cost for the person who wants this done....my Idea was as follows:
1. Use the existing line coming from the PB of the loader valve to supply the P port of this new valve
2. Use the PB outlet of this new valve to supply the 3PH on the tractor.
(those two hoses are already present)
3. Add a third hose to to Tee into a return line
4. Two new hoses from the work ports of the valve to the existing backhoe couplers.

This is to add a toplink cylinder to the tractor for a box blade. The backhoe couplings are not the typical AG couplers and they are different sizes so it can only hook up the correct way. This is no issue because I will get the right ends for the toplink cylinder.

Ideally I'd like to find a single spool valve....PB capable...10-20gpm range...and have a detent in ONE DIRECTION ONLY.

Everything I am coming up with either detents BOTH directions, or has pressure activated kickout like a logsplitter valve.

The reason I only want it to detent ONE direction is for when the backhoe is hooked up...it will just run off these "remotes". Dont like the idea of a bungee cord or potential to detent BOTH directions because the idiots that work for this guy would likely try and run it backwards and feed the backhoes T port instead of the P port.

Anyone have any leads on such a valve or have been down this road before?

/ Valve that detents only one direction #2  
Honestly, that setup should come standard on tractors with factory backhoes.

Does it matter if it's a monoblock valve or a sectional valve? On this side of the pond, I could point you towards a couple varieties. In the US, you main need to contact the shop directly so they put together exactly what you want, which should be easily done.

Anyways, Summit has this monoblock valve and the detent kit for it. It springs back on one direction. Detents on the other without the spring ability though. At least, that's how I read it.

Valve: https://summit-hydraulics.com/product/monoblock-hydraulic-directional-control-valve-1-spool-21-gpm/

Detent kit: https://summit-hydraulics.com/product/detents-for-p40-p80-monoblock-hydraulic-control-valves/

Another option could be increasing the pressure of the autokick off detent on a log splitter valve or even modify it so it doesn't care about pressure.

Last edited:
   / Valve that detents only one direction #3  
LD,
possibly contact Brand or Prince. They are both USA based and might have the option you are looking for as a non-catalog item.

/ Valve that detents only one direction #4  
You can add a detent kit to many valves.

/ Valve that detents only one direction #5  
If you can't find one you could make a stop that keeps the lever from going into the unwanted detent.

/ Valve that detents only one direction
I have been looking into the detent kits.

I'll have to browse summits website a little more tomorrow.

Two issues I and finding with detent kits....1. most places that sell the valves make no mention of detent kits. So trying to find a detent kits separate is a PITA. And 2. Quite a few of the ones with detent are both directions.

My initial thought was a logsplitter valve and modify or increase kickout pressure. But most splitter valves don't have PB option. And even if they did....it would be an expensive gamble if it couldn't be easily modified. Especially if I can simply find a valve like I want....or valve + detent add on.

LD,
possibly contact Brand or Prince. They are both USA based and might have the option you are looking for as a non-catalog item.
I have looked at brands catalog. And it's "possible" to create a model number that would work....but googling turns up nothing. So their either don't actually make all the combinations of how their valves can be assembled...or they aren't common.

Last time I was looking for something specific....I "built" a model number and called a few distributors for brand for pricing. Yes they could make them....but we're like 2x the cost of their more common valves that can be sourced about everywhere.

I'll do some more research tomorrow. Might not even mess with a valve with the added complication of the backhoe. May explore a diverter off loader valve.

/ Valve that detents only one direction #8  
I wonder if you could take the guts out of the 2nd part of the detent that
ptsg showed.

/ Valve that detents only one direction #9  
LD,
According to the data sheet Brand series 34 sectional valves have this option with either SD or DS option selected it will detent either to A or B and spring return from opposite end. Power beyond is also an option. Also shows being an option on their MB & TS series mono block valve.

I didn't look at prince website to see what they offer.

LD,
According to the data sheet Brand series 34 sectional valves have this option with either SD or DS option selected it will detent either to A or B and spring return from opposite end. Power beyond is also an option. Also shows being an option on their MB & TS series mono block valve.

I didn't look at prince website to see what they offer.
Thats the issue I eluded to earlier.

Alot of the ones that I have looked at show that they "can" be built with the options I want. But none of the distributors stock them because they arent their common mass-produced valves.

And getting quotes is like 2x or 3x the more common counterpart valves.

I think the only two options I have is find a valve that has an optional PB and Detent kit that I order separate and install. That looks to be a ~$150-$200 option, Or go with a diverter off the loader.

Those will give me two options to run by the tractors owner and see what he decides....and if ~$500 all in is worth it to him.

(originally he was thinking this was just simple like two hoses from the backhoe ports to a cylinder and thinking he would have less than $100). He didnt realize that a valve is needed...lol