VA RPA areas (bay water protection)

/ VA RPA areas (bay water protection) #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
I gotta' tell somebody.

I was looking at real estate data for my rental house, hoping to find acres measured for data use.
Found a new category - RPA .53 acres (I estimate, well, my land at .72 acres all together).

Now I gotta' research - what is RPA? - Resource Protection Area.
Areas near creeks - even little neighborhood creeks that almost go dry - have at least 100 foot buffer. (This is not the wetlands thing - a drainage thing.)
I spend 2 hours doing the triangles thing trying to make .53 work with 100 foot - gotta' be wrong. About 140 of creek line, so .53 would have to be about 165 feet up from creek - wow - way wrong.

Nope!
45 minute call learning this - er - stuff.
100 feet from FEMA flood plain - so 'they' must show 65 from center somewhere.
Now, I have played here since mid 60's, bought in '79, I've seen and evidenced about 15 feet plain out of creekbed in 50 years - so 1/2 gulley = say 7 1/2, plus 15, so maybe 22 feet for a 50 year floodplain.
The line is actually drawn through, THROUGH, my house - about midway.
They told me nothing of this, ever, no how.

So, no touching the land in zone, except for minor water enjoyment projects - dock, board walks to dock, etc. - no general use projects - for non-grandfathered lots.
(Of course, big corporations can come through and screw it up and leave - like FIOS!)

Lot approved in '60s, built in '79, law in '89 - so I have some grandfathered rights, but still 'new' constrictions.

I have been required to report, and record dead trees since '89 - no one told me.
I asked how I would have known - the line would have come up with a building permit request - but no permit for tree dropping - again how would I know?

Now, I don't take down trees willy-nilly, but a dead tree that could fall on me or a neighbor, naturally or from a tractor bump - gotta' go - safety thing.
Now I'm supposed to apply (free so far), supply before/after pics for removing safety hazards.

OMG!

/ VA RPA areas (bay water protection) #2  
You might try some of the water resource consultants. If the stream goes dry it is an intermittent and nor subject to being a RPA. The original RPA decision, in New Kent County, was based on a look at the 7.5 minute topos. The problem, with respect to my property was that the had no clue about topo map reading and even though the stream was drawn as an intermittent they called it an RPA. The county base on the determination of the water resource consultant changed the determination. That was not a particularly pricey endeavor for my 26 acres.