Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I have a Kubota 900 RTV with the three cylinder diesel engine in it. It's time for an oil change and I just happen to have a bunch of Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w-30 even though Kubota recommends 10w-30. Would this difference in weight hurt anything? Also the Pennzoil container does not say anything about using it in a diesel engine. Would I be safe using this oil in the Kubota 900 RTV? Thanks. RRM

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #3  
1677806239038.png

You'll note a lack of diesel standards (like CJ4 or CK4) - that oil does not meet the standards required for a diesel engine.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #4  
Purchase CJ4 or CK4 10w30 or 5w40 (if full synthetic) as they are formulated for diesel engines which require zinc additives that have been removed from gas engine oil to protect catalytic converters.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #5  
Oil designed for gasoline engines is not formulated for use in a diesel engine.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #6  
Just don`t...period. Put the correct diesel rated oil in it.
Cheaping out just because you have the oil sitting around, is no excuse to just use it in a diesel engine.
Unless you want to cost yourself an engine repair bill that will cost you alot more than cheaping out on the oil vs putting the correct oil in it, go for it.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #7  
I have a Kubota 900 RTV with the three cylinder diesel engine in it. It's time for an oil change and I just happen to have a bunch of Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w-30 even though Kubota recommends 10w-30. Would this difference in weight hurt anything? Also the Pennzoil container does not say anything about using it in a diesel engine. Would I be safe using this oil in the Kubota 900 RTV? Thanks. RRM
Main difference between oil for gas engines and diesel oil is detergent to keep the added soot from diesels in suspension. Could use the Penzoil (5w30 is fine as is 0w30) but for a shorter change period.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #8  
Does the same apply for diesel pick up trucks?

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #9  
Does the same apply for diesel pick up trucks?

Yes it does, the oil should be CJ4 or CK4 rated. Generally, diesel engines have different oil property requirements compared to gasoline engines (stronger detergent, zinc additives, ect.), and the appropriate oil should be used.

/ Using oil in a diesel engine that doesn't say for a diesel. #10  
Main difference between oil for gas engines and diesel oil is detergent to keep the added soot from diesels in suspension. Could use the Penzoil (5w30 is fine as is 0w30) but for a shorter change period.
You could go this route and use a zinc additive to protect the cam and lifters. But honestly just use the right oil. As some have already mentioned, oil is cheap vs repairing an engine.