Using a forestry mulcher along with Garlon herbicide for Buckthorn control

/ Using a forestry mulcher along with Garlon herbicide for Buckthorn control #21  
We bagged all the stumps around our property. No spraying involved. Have you been to a eradication seminar there??
Tell me more please

/ Using a forestry mulcher along with Garlon herbicide for Buckthorn control #22  
Not here. It was a hay field and will become one again, as with other fields I have reclaimed. Environmentally dangerous chemicals unnecessary.

/ Using a forestry mulcher along with Garlon herbicide for Buckthorn control #23  
Tell me more please
Sorry for the slow response but here is a buckthron stump with a bag that will last at least 2 years. The bag is made for evasive tree eradication and is zip tied on. That way we don't need to keep treating the stump with some herbicide. Hope that helps.
P1130288.jpg

/ Using a forestry mulcher along with Garlon herbicide for Buckthorn control #24  
I have some areas on my property that are heavily infested with buckthorn. These areas have more buckthorn trees than desirable trees, and it would be difficult to cut and spray the buckthorn in such dense conditions.

To remove the buckthorn in these thick areas, I am considering hiring a contractor with a skid steer and forestry mulcher attachment. I would mark the desirable trees with trail ribbon, and have the contractor mulch everything else around them.

I would follow behind the skid steer, ideally within a few minutes, and spray the shredded stump remnants with Garlon 4 herbicide in a 20% concentration.

My concern is how effective the herbicide would be on shredded stumps. I’m used to cutting buckthorn with a brush saw, and spraying the remaining (neat, clean, and flat) stump top. This results in the herbicide penetrating the cambium layer, just below the bark. It’s easy to see where the herbicide is going, and to apply it correctly and sparingly this way.

I’m wondering if the Garlon application will be as effective on a stump that has been mangled and shredded by a forestry mulcher. Does anyone have any experience with doing this, and if so, how well did it work?
Using even just glyphosate concentrate on mangled stumps works good. Using on a cleanly cut stump often doesn't.

One outfit sells a "buckthorn blaster", which is just a bottle with a sponge on the end to apply glyphosate to stumps. We've a couple of these, but a better tool is like a slathering tool that has a bigger "slather" tool. Can stand up and use them. Have a couple of these.

/ Using a forestry mulcher along with Garlon herbicide for Buckthorn control #25  
I have some areas on my property that are heavily infested with buckthorn. These areas have more buckthorn trees than desirable trees, and it would be difficult to cut and spray the buckthorn in such dense conditions.

To remove the buckthorn in these thick areas, I am considering hiring a contractor with a skid steer and forestry mulcher attachment. I would mark the desirable trees with trail ribbon, and have the contractor mulch everything else around them.

I would follow behind the skid steer, ideally within a few minutes, and spray the shredded stump remnants with Garlon 4 herbicide in a 20% concentration.

My concern is how effective the herbicide would be on shredded stumps. I’m used to cutting buckthorn with a brush saw, and spraying the remaining (neat, clean, and flat) stump top. This results in the herbicide penetrating the cambium layer, just below the bark. It’s easy to see where the herbicide is going, and to apply it correctly and sparingly this way.

I’m wondering if the Garlon application will be as effective on a stump that has been mangled and shredded by a forestry mulcher. Does anyone have any experience with doing this, and if so, how well did it work?
What kind of a plan did you decide on? Seems we have a bunch of BH on the land with trails that we care for. Here is a good video about the removal of it.

/ Using a forestry mulcher along with Garlon herbicide for Buckthorn control #26  

Do you happen to know what type of Buckthorn you have?