trying to price a trailer before the auction

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #31  
The discussion here has been very helpful to me. Now the auction company is showing bids and the high bid is already more than I believe the trailer to be worth. The trailer has no ramps, and they would add to the price. I would need the ramps for my skid steer. A private sale would not incur the sales tax but this auction company will charge the tax. I will continue to follow the auction but will keep looking. Thanks to everyone.

You would only avoid paying sales tax if you never registered the trailer in your name. If you take the title to the court house you’ll have to pay sales tax unless you live in one of the few states without sales tax.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #32  
You would only avoid paying sales tax if you never registered the trailer in your name. If you take the title to the court house you’ll have to pay sales tax unless you live in one of the few states without sales tax.
True, But, the bill of sale or tile transfer doesn't need to list the actual sale price. As in, 7x14 trailer, sale $500. Take that to the county tax collector, and pay 7% on the $500 listed. No need to list the full price of the transaction. Around here, atleast, they don't bluebook a trailer, and vehicles, if it's somewhat realistic, say, $5k for a 20k vehicle, noone questions it. Just don't get greedy and say $5 for a $50k truck.

Edit: or "$500 plus other good and valuable resources", I think I saw once.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #33  
You really don’t want to haul a skid steer in a dump trailer for several reasons; no dovetails means using portable ramps (which are inadequate for several reasons), inadequate approach angles to allow the back end of the SS to clear the ground or ramps, high break over angle at the top of the ramps, lack of proper tie-downs in the trailer can lead to a disaster in event of an accident or emergency maneuver.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #34  
You really don’t want to haul a skid steer in a dump trailer for several reasons; no dovetails means using portable ramps (which are inadequate for several reasons), inadequate approach angles to allow the back end of the SS to clear the ground or ramps, high break over angle at the top of the ramps, lack of proper tie-downs in the trailer can lead to a disaster in event of an accident or emergency maneuver
While I agree that hauling a skidloader in a dump trailer is less than ideal and certainly not as convenient. NONE of the things you listed are really true. Most dump trailers DO have proper tie downs, and most DO have adequate ramps, and most skidloaders WILL load just fine and not have clearance issues. And the breakover angle is no big deal either. My old GN 20+5 deckover had a dove angle and ramp angle that was the same as my dump trailer ramps.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #35  
I'm not saying it will sell for that, but unless it's pristine, I would look at new, if you're paying almost new prices. I know stock can be a problem, but I'm seeing a lot of new 7x14, dual 7k axles, in-stock at $11,500 to $13,000 within a 50-mile radius with a quick search.

Now, what I can't comment in these I see, or this auction one is the little things that might make or break it for your use case, like slide out ramps, angle of approach, how high the skid steer rides above the axles, dump angle, tie down points in the dump bed, ect.View attachment 788498
The trailer drought is over in my area. Lots are over full in reaction to not being available. With that said a good used dump trailer is still in very high demand. Just make sure it has at least 7000 lb axles or it won't be good for much except hauling off gras clippings.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #36  
trailers tend to get bid up quickly at many auctions. Check completed auctions at ritchie bros and see if you can find something comparable to give you an idea of what it might sell for.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #37  
The Auctions have been nuts, period. BUT, a Canadian company has been bring down their new dump trailers lately. The brand is Southland. I found them comparable to my Big Tex. More so in the tie downs, ramps, rear stands and onboard charging and so on. I ended up selling my beat up 1997 Tex and buying one of these for less than I sold it for. You might consider looking into them as the exchange rate is decent. Just a thought....

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #38  
True, But, the bill of sale or tile transfer doesn't need to list the actual sale price. As in, 7x14 trailer, sale $500. Take that to the county tax collector, and pay 7% on the $500 listed. No need to list the full price of the transaction. Around here, atleast, they don't bluebook a trailer, and vehicles, if it's somewhat realistic, say, $5k for a 20k vehicle, noone questions it. Just don't get greedy and say $5 for a $50k truck.

Edit: or "$500 plus other good and valuable resources", I think I saw once.
The tax on a $10k trailer is $750 where I live. I don't think I'd be willing to risk breaking the law (to say nothing of my integrity) to save $700 in taxes.

Your risk profile may vary...

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #39  
The Auctions have been nuts, period. BUT, a Canadian company has been bring down their new dump trailers lately. The brand is Southland. I found them comparable to my Big Tex. More so in the tie downs, ramps, rear stands and onboard charging and so on. I ended up selling my beat up 1997 Tex and buying one of these for less than I sold it for. You might consider looking into them as the exchange rate is decent. Just a thought....
The exchange rate is .73 right now. That’s on the lower end for the last few years. Canadian equipment is appealing IF you can still do well after the border crossing fees and shipping to you.

/ trying to price a trailer before the auction #40  
The exchange rate is .73 right now. That’s on the lower end for the last few years. Canadian equipment is appealing IF you can still do well after the border crossing fees and shipping to you.
I guess what I meant to say is to look for them at auction. In the area of Idaho I am they show up at Armstrong Auctions, I've also noticed them in Bellingham Wa. Typical auction, some go for a good price others a tad high but most under the cost, and they are new. Then if you are close to the border, you know how to deal with cross border purchases. It's not a real big deal. Don't think I'd want to deal with an shipping company....