Troy Bilt Horse Re-power question

/ Troy Bilt Horse Re-power question #1  

jas67

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610 + Kubota G1800-S
I have a 1970's Troy Bilt Horse that I just acquired. It needs an engine. It still has the original Tecumseh HH60 (6 HP, cast iron block), but it at outside for an untold amount of time without a spark plug in it. Rather than deal with rehabbing the old HH60, I'd like to just put a new engine on it.

I have found several new 6-6.5 HP engines in the $175-$200 that look like they should work.

I have two concerns. The engine on these is attached to the tiller by four threaded bolt holes. Am an concerned about hanging an aluminum engine this way. Are those threaded holes designed to handle this?

Also, most of these engines only weigh about 33-35 lbs. I haven't taken the old engine off yet, but I'm assuming that it is a bit heavier.

The engine counter-balances the tine drive gearbox, tines, and their shaft. Is this thing going to be too rear-heavy with an aluminum engine?

I've actually considered shelling out the $400 or so for one of the Yanmar-L70A clones (I prefer diesel, and have a 30 Gal tank on site), which happen to weigh about 80 lbs (which might actually be too much, for all I know).

So, I guess my questions are, does anyone know what the HH60 weighs? Has anyone replaced one with a newer aluminum engine, and how did that work out. How balanced is the machine? I guess I could add weight to the front if necessary.

Also, any recommendations on engines?
I'm seeing both Honda and Briggs engines at Small Engine Warehouse's ePay site for decent prices (they have some Tecumseh engines too, but I'd like to stay away from them since they are no longer in business).

/ Troy Bilt Horse Re-power question #2  
Jas,

I read this with great interest as I have the same machine and same engine that needs replaced too.

I will be watching this closely as I would like to get one real soon to get the tiller going again.

Craig

/ Troy Bilt Horse Re-power question #3  
I have not replaced the engine, but my impressions are:1) are there any cast iron replacements available and what do they cost compared to aluminum block engines? 2) some of the Gravely guys have replaced the original Gravely engines with both Briggs Vanguard engines and Honda engines which are aluminum blocks, I believe. If they can do it on a Gravely--why not a Troy Bilt?

I have a TB horse with the 7 HP cast iron Kohler. I don't think balance will be a problem at all. The tiller may actually be easier to manuver with the lighter engine on the front. If you have a balance problem, you can add a bumper and a counterweight later. The bumper was a factory option, but I think it is a good thing to have to protect the engine since it is out there in front with nothing to protect it.

I think an 80-90 lb diesel is going to make it want to tip forward and it would be harder to manuver.

If you can find a direct mount engine (aluminum or not), I'd say go for it. There was a TBN thread on continued Tech. parts availability, and maybe you could pick up one of these engines cheap enough now that it might make more sense if it bolts right in than paying more for some other brand.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Re-power question #4  
I have a 1976 Troy-Bilt Horse 6HP, 2 speed, which I purchased new. In 1997 the local Troy-Bilt dealer replaced the original Tecumseh cast iron block engine with a new Tecumseh aluminum block engine. this was the exact replacement engine from Troy-Bilt and looks exacty like the cast iron block engine. The new engine cost $364.95 in 1997.

The "new" engine has worked great for 12 years now. There is no noticeable difference in the handling of the tiller with the aluminum engine.

On my original engine the threads stripped in one of the four bolt holes that secure the engine to the engine mount and so I ran the tiller with 3 bolts securing the engine for a couple of years. So far, I have not had this problem with the aluminum block engine.

The last time I ordered parts for my Troy-Bilt (2008), I discovered that Troy-Bilt had been bought by MTD and parts are available through MTD.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Re-power question #5  
   / Troy Bilt Horse Re-power question #6  
If you want a diesel engine for your Troybuilt I think there is one available in the last Surplus Center catalog. It's 6.5 hp and has the right shaft size, 3/4" with end tapped for 5/16-24 like your HH60. The bolt circle is correct at 3-5/8" and it wieghs 100 lbs. It comes with electric start, alternator, switching and oil filter. It's new and $600.00 Part number 28-1690
I think it will bolt right up with little, if any modification.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Re-power question #7  
The Troy Bilt Horse owner's manual lists the weight of the Tecumseh HH60 engine at 53 lbs 3 oz. and the 7 HP Kohler at 70 lbs.
-Len

/ Troy Bilt Horse Re-power question #8  
If you replace your old engine which is heavier that the Aluminum engine you will have to do one thing. First off when you take off the old engine weigh it, if you replace the engine with a Aluminum engine weigh it also. The difference in weight can be added to the bottom of the New Aluminum engine by adding the difference of weight. The engines are mounted on the side the motor and not the bottom.
You can use the holes on the bottom of the New engine to make a steel plate and mount the weight on the bottom of the New Engine.

It should be pretty easy to add the weight that will counter balance the tiller like it was to begin with.
If you want to look up engines go to Portable Generators, Pressure Washers, Power Tools, Welders | Northern Tool + Equipment. They carry Honda, Power Horse etc.
I hope I answered your question. The Power Horse weighs in at about 36 lbs. I am in the process of replacing mine with the Power Horse 6 hp on a late 70’s Troy Built Horse.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Re-power question #9  
I just took off my hh60, I would guess it ways 45- 50 pounds.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Re-power question #10  
i just bought a 1971 horse for $99 so have room to re engine $$ wise. i really like the idea of a diesel. anyone done this? mods? thanks