Troubleshoot voltage on Generac 4000XL

/ Troubleshoot voltage on Generac 4000XL #1  

richdell

Tractor
Yanmar 195 and Kubota 2920
My generator was running great until I suspect a little extra load tripped the breaker on the unit. I pushed it in, felt a click, assumed that was the problem. However when started there was no power in the house. When I checked the generator outlets the 110 volt worked, nothing on the 220 volt. I tested voltage and found 120 volts from ground terminal to each leg. From neutral to one leg 120, neutral to other leg nothing. While testing with volt-ohm meter, voltage came back, no idea why. 4 wire plug looks perfect, no signs of burning. I don't feel I can depend on the unit now, anyone have any ideas?

/ Troubleshoot voltage on Generac 4000XL #2  
You overloaded it. Probibly had a heat shunt on the 240 side that reset after it cooled down. You only have something like 17 amps available at 240 side. Cant power too much. What were you running with it?

but im a home standby unit tech, not a portable gen guy. Im just guessing here.

Last edited:
   / Troubleshoot voltage on Generac 4000XL #3  
Swap the breakers out with each other and see if other side is hot. I have never overloaded one, been careful about that. Just fixed a 150.000 watt, or 150 kw. I have two big ones here and a small 5 kw I keep a big one with an Allis Chalmers 6 cylinder because it will do 3 phase.

/ Troubleshoot voltage on Generac 4000XL
The troubleshooting I did was the next day. It should have been cooled enough by then. As I stated, it's working now, I'm concerned about reliability the next time I need it. It would be nice to find something to fix!

/ Troubleshoot voltage on Generac 4000XL #5  
In that case, have no idea. I know these generators should have a switch that choses between 120 and 240 volt output…maybe the issue is in the switch.

/ Troubleshoot voltage on Generac 4000XL #6  
I would have thought the breaker you reset should have been a double pole lever breaker. You may have reset one side and not the other. Remember, you have to shut both off to reset them.

/ Troubleshoot voltage on Generac 4000XL #7  
dont know if this series uses breakers or those push in fuses.

/ Troubleshoot voltage on Generac 4000XL #8  
These are small portable units. Doesn't look like they're intended to power very much.

https://946e583539399c301dc7-100ffa5b52865b8ec92e09e9de9f4d02.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/18542/3849282.jpg

If those buttons on the upper left are the breakers, one may be bad.

But I sure wouldn't trust anything like a freezer on a unit like that.

/ Troubleshoot voltage on Generac 4000XL
Yeah, the thing was bought in 2000, I decided it's time to replace it. Thanks for responding!