Dealer Tried to buy a RK74 today

/ Tried to buy a RK74 today #1  

Wacky

Veteran Member
Tractor
2010 GC2610
Needing to buy a larger tractor for haying operations
and have been doing some research on the RK74and figured I would see if the RK74 was in stock at a store near me. I called this morning, and was put on hold 2 times for @ 5 minutes. Then, 3rd time I asked if they could check if they had one in stock. They did, I asked if I could come and test it out. They said sure. So I made the 45 minute trip.

When I arrived, I saw it!! Nice looking, but badly faded hood, roof and fenders. It's obvious it has been there a while. A few of the other units looked the same. Wasn't too concerned about that, figured maybe could get a better deal. I saw a young man loading a customers car and walked over to him, waited, then asked if I may get someone to unlock and go over the machine with me. He didn't know where the keys were, the man that worked the dept. was off today. After @ 15 minutes they found the key. They couldn't figure out how to unlock the door. I showed them how 🤔. Asked if I could start and test drive it. They weren't sure. But I convinced them to let me have the key and I tried to start the tractor....no go dead battery. They had no idea what to do to get it started.
I did, however, gave the tractor a thorough once over. Was pretty impressed with the accessibility to just about everything that I would need. Linkages, wiring and sensors.
I would have really liked to give it a drive, but I am a little concerned about the lack of knowledge and interest in trying to get the customer to buy. They should have at least 2 people in that department in case someone is off, or sick.
I am not too confident in the after the sale support unfortunately. But, I will give the department manager a call to see what he says and how knowledgeable he is. I have been looking hard at the Massey Ferguson 4707. The price of the RK is a substantial amount less, to the tune of 7,000.
I like the simplicity and ease of maintenance on the RK. Not as many electronics, is less to break!
The Deutz engine has a proven design, which is keeping me interested. But it does appear to have been sitting on their lot a long time. I am concerned about parts availability. I really didn't see very much in the store parts wise, but they did have ALOT of king kutter attachments!

/ Tried to buy a RK74 today #2  
That’s very poor service for a person wanting to spend $50,000 or whatever they cost. A big box store selling farm tractors is a really poor idea in my opinion. Buyer beware.

/ Tried to buy a RK74 today #3  
Thatç—´ very poor service for a person wanting to spend $50,000 or whatever they cost. A big box store selling farm tractors is a really poor idea in my opinion. Buyer beware.

The RK 74 has been advertised at $39,999. A lot of tractor,...... for a low clearance price,..... probably will go even lower!
Since it's inception, I have believed that the RK tractor business will follow in the footsteps of the Cabella's tractor business.

Last edited:
   / Tried to buy a RK74 today #4  
The RK 74 has been advertised at $39,999. A lot of tractor,...... for a low clearance price!
Since it's inception, I have believed that the RK tractor business will follow in the footsteps of the Cabella's tractor business.

So if you can find a dealer that can actually support the tractor it would be a good deal. I wonder who actually makes it?
For me it’s too much money to gamble with.... I’d stick with one of the major brands... Kubota for me.

/ Tried to buy a RK74 today #5  
RK is the 2nd attempt at tractor sales in a discount store. The first was called Tractor King ( a chinese Foton tractor).

/ Tried to buy a RK74 today #6  
In Champaign IL - Rural King had some brand of Chinese tractor. 2 years later they had Fotons. No RK tractors at this store.
JD, CaseIH, Kubota, New Holland dealers within 10 miles of this store. Reputable dealers 50+ years in area.

/ Tried to buy a RK74 today #7  
If there is a TYM dealer in your area you could see if they have a T754 in stock. Its the same tractor as TYM makes the tractors for Rural King. They may even match the price too.

/ Tried to buy a RK74 today #8  
I like green but my neighbor bought a RK 37?? I think. Hydro with a cab. Not a lot of hours on it but it seems to be a substantial tractor. I believe they are Yanmar engines which are tough if you keep dirt out of them. I'd look at the full line of Yanmar tractors too. They made the 50 series for JD for years!

/ Tried to buy a RK74 today #9  
The RK 74 has been advertised at $39,999. A lot of tractor,...... for a low clearance price,..... probably will go even lower!

+1. My farm is 3 miles from a Cabelas store and I do not ever go there. Prices are stupid high, lots of merchandise (especially all their Cabelas' branded clothing is Chineseum) and ever since Bass Pro bought Cabelas, it's been going even further downhill. Too many 'outdoor stores' and too few 'outdoorsmen'. Bad combination. Dick Cabela sold at the right time, I'd say.

/ Tried to buy a RK74 today #10  
In Champaign IL - Rural King had some brand of Chinese tractor. 2 years later they had Fotons. No RK tractors at this store.
JD, CaseIH, Kubota, New Holland dealers within 10 miles of this store. Reputable dealers 50+ years in area.

Isn't a Foton a comfy couch?:D